Game Failing To Start

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Game Failing To Start

Post by prospero »

I seem to have an issue with my PC.

Sat down today intending to do some modding. I haven't run BOD for a month or two. When I tried to start the game today I
could only run it in Fullscreen. When I try in windowed mode the opening movie plays (albeit without picture) and the window
appears. After a few seconds it exits. This happens with or without the console. I'm running OGL.

The last time I played BOD prior to this it worked fine. I can only think that it is a windows update that has upset things.

Anyone have any ideas? :|

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: Game Failing To Start

Post by prospero »

Update........

After numerous tries it suddenly decided the run windowed. Game runs fine once started.

Now it won't start Fullscreen. :?

Still a bit of an iffy situation though....... :roll:

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

This is a very strange question. I use win10 system, but my situation is slightly different from yours.

When I enable the console, click Play Game in the startup program. It will somehow crash and the program will stop working. But this situation only appears in opengl mode. :roll:

Opengl without console works well in full screen or windowed.

I found a trick. Enter a number in the console and press Enter, it will not feedback anything, because you did not enter the game, just stay in the startup interface. Then click on Play Game, you will find that the game can start normally and no longer crash.
Although I don't know the principle, it just works on my computer.

Obviously, there is nothing wrong with the D3d + console, but you need the dgVoodoo patch. This is my current configuration. You can try it, although dgVoodoo is not suitable for every computer. :?

BTW, I disabled the opening video. Based on years of experience, disabling it can avoid some unknown errors.
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0SHO ... P3FdZLWzpQ

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Thanks Syrml. :D

I tried the console trick but no joy. After several tries the game started as normal. :roll:

It is a bit annoying having to 'fight' with the game to get it started. It's hard enough work doing the modding. :?

Must admit I have no idea how to disable the opening video. I would be grateful if you could tell me. :lol:

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

Hi pro, :)

This is very simple, just rename the folder ../Data/video. :mrgreen:
The other is the official command line method:

Code: Select all

start "" "Blade.exe" -dev:rOpenGL.dll -snd:4 -map:Casa -console
But opengl + console will still crash.

Although there are some annoying problems, but you have been doing it for 20 years, it is like a naughty child. :lol:
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0SHO ... P3FdZLWzpQ

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Had it going several times today. The trick seems to be to double-tap the Enter key quickly to stop the video from starting.

I've started the (hopefully) final version of Fugitive IV. Trouble is, I've found out so many new things in the intervening years that
so much code needs updating. :lol:

Thanks for the help. :D

Raptor
Whelp

Post by Raptor »

prospero wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:38 pm Had it going several times today. The trick seems to be to double-tap the Enter key quickly to stop the video from starting.

I've started the (hopefully) final version of Fugitive IV. Trouble is, I've found out so many new things in the intervening years that
so much code needs updating. :lol:

Thanks for the help. :D
What in particular needs updating?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

You want a list? :lol:

I just need a few run thoughs and put in a few journal hints and part1 will be ready for release. There are bound to a few
bugs/glitches. :| part2 is in progress, but don't hold your breath. It depends on my spare time.

piltrafus
Dragon

Post by piltrafus »

I had the same problem with Blade crashing in full-screen recently.

I used VulKan via Nglide as a render. Seems to work solid. The newest tech seems to like the oldest game :)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4459