Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

It's weird, I attached "origin" bone in the bones system, as a top of the hierarchy, not to mesh. Ok, I'll try again.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Sorry, the origin <i>is</i> attached to the bones system, but it doesn't show up in the list of bones that the mesh is attached to.
When you select the mesh in 3DSMax, and click the 'modify' tab, there is a list of bones in the white box, but 'origin' isn't there. I'll see if I can 'add' it.

EDIT\
I tried adding the origin in the model and anim files, but I get the same result. It looks like all the 'parts' of the model are rendered ok, but they are all in the same place (as though the pivots are all located at the 'center')

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks, Sir Random! New version of these files:

http://uploading.com/files/9949d7a5/MAX ... oom3_1.rar

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Harrison,

I tried the new files and the animations seem to work ok, but there is a problem with the orientation. It's easier to show you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgdVjt-SmMw

Looks like he's swimming [:)]

As well as being face down, the model is also rotated 90 degrees clockwise (looking from above).

Notes:
I had to scale up the model and animation files by x80 to get him that size.
I renamed Origin to origin in the files (Doom3 uses lower-case)

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Many thanks, Sir_Random! I have rotated axes in pivot of "origin" and changed name from "Origin" to "origin":

http://uploading.com/files/be4b2e16/MAX ... oom3_2.rar

What system of units is used in Doom3? Inches, meters or unique?

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Ok, I tried the new files and there's good and bad news.

Bad news:
The model's 'center' bone seems fixed in position by the origin, so the animations look weird. This is the same problem I had when I tried attaching an origin bone. The 'center' must move around during the animations.

Good news:
The model seems to work with some basic enemy ai, but still needs to be rotated 90 degrees.
I only gave it 'relax', 'walk' and 'punch' anims, but the Doom 3 engine can manipulate the 'torso' independently of the 'legs', and play different animations at the same time, so the legs can 'walk' while the torso 'punches'. In theory, all 'parts' of the model could be assigned different animations at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgBembON-ns

I found this page about Doom 3 models and animations:
http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md5-specs-en.html

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Ok, Sir_Random, thanks for work and information. I see the problem is more complex than I thought and I need the Doom3 engine to solve it.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

Ok, Sir_Random, thanks for work and information. I see the problem is more complex than I thought and I need the Doom3 engine to solve it.
I have a spare copy of Doom 3 (English) which I can post to you, if you want to continue working on this.

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Thank you, I will be very grateful! [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Ok, if you email me your address, I'll send it on monday.

[email protected]

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:17 am

Hey guys,

just a heads up...the doom 3 source is released..

https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

can't wait to see what you guys can do with this..

cheers

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sfb</i>

can't wait to see what you guys can do with this..

If there are some talented C/C++ coders in here, why not?

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm

The most important tip for a good working model in any engine is: Delete History and or Freeze the Transformations (in some 3d tools is called zero the transformations), this is to say if you move a model you change the 0,0,0 values to for example 100,100,100 when you delete the history and or freeze the transformations the values will go to 0,0,0 again but the model will freeze (stay) in the position you want.

Harrison this links will help you get up to speed with the idtech 3 rigging necessities.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?ti ... _into_Doom

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?ti ... g_Workflow

important parts:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It has been boned and weighted obviously, and the rig has to have a bone called origin at the 0,0,0 world origin, and the skeleton has this as the parent bone.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The model needs to be resting on the XZ plane, facing X, with Y up. Once you've rotated the model the way you want it, you need to Delete History and Freeze Transformations.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank you very much for the information, sfb and Argoon!

However, I am not a professional programmer and so many do not know. I also have very little free time. So I do not promise much, but with the help of Sir_Random, I will try to do something.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:23 pm

The hardest thing to do is to replicate the BoD combat system. If we can do that, the rest is relatively easy.
First we must get the BoD models and anims working in Doom 3, then we can start refining the AI to control the enemies.

I have tested the Barb model as the 'Player' with a 'third person' camera view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEhLoQWZq14

I only added 'relax', 'walk', and 'punch' anims, but that's enough to see that it's possible. Obviously the model still needs to be rotated 90 degrees, and the 'Center' bone needs to move around during animation. I am a 3DSMax noob, so I'm hoping Harrison can solve these problems.

Anyone with Doom 3 could be making test maps with BoD textures, but nobody seems interested. Doomedit is a lot easier to use than LED, and if you don't like bsp geometry you can import models as maps (Most Doom 3 exteriors are models). I would do some maps myself, but I have too many projects on the go (and I'm playing Skyrim [:I])

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Before getting started, let me ask something.

Are bod assets are free to use? If not, codemasters will force you to stop when it starts to get serious. So what's the situation on this?

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”