Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Really fantastic stuff you guys are awesome, about the animations on the video they seam a little slow compared to the original ones and also when you use the attack's it looks like the model wants to make a step forward but it can't so it looks strange. BTW I would love to know how Harrison was able to convert the original "bone" system to the one that you guys are using now for idtech 4. Maybe if he made a tutorial more people could help including me.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

about the animations on the video they seam a little slow compared to the original ones<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, the BoD animations seem to have different speeds (corrected in BoD by animfact). There is no way of adjusting the anim speeds in the Doom engine, so I have adjusted the framerates of the anims themselves to try and match the originals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ci7y1YdVRQ

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

when you use the attack's it looks like the model wants to make a step forward but it can't so it looks strange.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yeah, the model's 'Center' bone should be moving around during the anims, but it is attached to the 'origin' bone (required by Doom engine) which stays at the player's absolute location. Harrison is working on a fix for this.

EDIT\
We still need .lwo models of the weapons (scaled to 0.03 of the .max size) to make them 'droppable' in the Doom game world.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Yes that looks much better, about the .lwo models i will see what i can do about it.

Edit: About the idtech 4 hit detection i have read that it supports per poly hit detection on characters, what does this mean, it means that is possible to detect precisely where a sword hits on a character limb for example, good for when we try to make the characters lose limbs or to give different health properties to different limbs or even to make it so the character plays a different getting hit animation dependent in what limb it's hit, etc.

Sir Random can you give me a version of the new Barbarian rig that i can open using Blender 2.6, for example in .fbx? I want it just to make some experiments.

I have been reading about the doom3 engine in here http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/
and found that character melee system is defined in the .def files in the doom3 pack000.pk4, the monster_zombie_commando.def is especially important because of the tentacle, it seams this monster uses a meleebone (joint13) to detect when his tentacle hits the player, this could be important to find a way to make swords take health in our mod.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Sir Random can you give me a version of the new Barbarian rig that i can open using Blender 2.6, for example in .fbx? I want it just to make some experiments.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I tried installing an fbx exporter for 3DSMax9, but it fails to install on startup I can send you the .max and .md5 files if you want.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Send me the .max then. :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

What's your email address?

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

You can use a service like FileSonic to share the model no need for email, for example below is one of the BOD weapons that i remade, tell me what you think. :)

It is in .lwo format ziped to .7z here is the link http://www.filesonic.com/file/4243518695/ALABARDA.7z the service is free for small files btw.

better diffuse texture for the weapon above.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... ABARDA.pngImage

Edit: Ok here is another sword for you guys. :)

http://www.filesonic.com/file/4256028905/Alfanje.7z

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Hi Argoon,
You can download the Barb max file here:
http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods/bar_n_doom3.zip

EDIT\
I can't load your .lwo in Doom 3 as a weapon without an .md5 version of the model too. I can't find any free plugins to import .lwo to max, can you export .md5 files from blender?.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

You asked for .lwo that is what i gave you ;P Yes i can export a .md5 from blender, but i would like to work on Modo501 because that's his what i know the best, i know that modo501 exports collada ( .dae files) with a option especially to 3dMAX, btw i will "remake" more BOD weapons.

Try this one and tell me if it works.
http://www.filesonic.com/file/4271533185/deathsword.rar the textures are on the second sword model i posted above.

About the model that you gave me the skeleton looks strange i used 3dmax 2010 64bits to open it for example the hand and the foot bones are pointing up is that correct? Also the origin bone is not a bone at all when i click on the bone editing tools that is what they say, could this be what is causing problems?

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

double post [xx(]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

You asked for .lwo that is what i gave you ;P<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I asked for .lwo models of the original BoD weapons, for which I have already made .md5 files. [;)]

About the model that you gave me the skeleton looks strange i used 3dmax 2010 64bits to open it for example the hand and the foot bones are pointing up is that correct? Also the origin bone is not a bone at all when i click on the bone editing tools that is what they say, could this be what is causing problems?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The 'origin' is just a marker added by Harrison. It is at the top of the hierarchy, which is what idtech 4 requires.

The problem with Barb moving on the spot may not be a problem with the animations. Doom was designed as First person, so player animations are irrelevant. The player model only ever moves when a key is pressed (forward, back, left, right, jump, crouch).
I will try adding player translations to the animations, so the model moves in accordance with the animation. This will add further complications, but one step at a time...

I have the Barb model working in multiplayer now, but the weapons and combat still need some work.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Man the Ruiner mod seams to be a excellent source for study, i see on the trailer that they have some animations that have the player move from the center and they also have sword traces, that is something that we will have to implant in our mod some time has well.

edit: SirRandom i edited the original character models to look more smooth and even remade the uv maps some time ago, do you want to try this models with the doom3 version of the skeleton and see if they work? I removed the interior wound poly's thou.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

SirRandom i edited the original character models to look more smooth and even remade the uv maps some time ago, do you want to try this models with the doom3 version of the skeleton and see if they work? I removed the interior wound poly's thou.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yeah, upload the files and I'll try them out.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

I went to review the models and realized i was really sloppy with the new uvmaps, i literally used a atlas projection on some of them and just baked the old texture on the the new uvmap, it looks fine but is a pain in the butt if you want to remake the textures, so for now try this one, is the only that has a somewhat better uvmap, i will need to remake the uv's in all the others to be more friendlier to modding. :(

His the armored version of the barbarian it has 5000+ polys so there's also a version with 900+ polys for shadow casting, is better for performance.

http://www.filesonic.com/file/4294244175/BarbArmor.rar