Trying to run BoD on a virtual Windows XP

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Trying to run BoD on a virtual Windows XP

Postby MBK_MBK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:24 am

Greetings.

I still have conflicts between my hardware, my Windows 7, and the BoD game. Although I have activated vertical sync, triple buffer, etc, the game speeds up a lot or slows down a lot and I can't play it. I tried to put the code derived from the "slow motion", making a function that is repeated with the "value 1.0", just in case it was due to some function that changes the internal speed of the game... but it is not so, that It doesn't solve the matter on my computer. :(

The problem is that, my Windows 7 was already factory installed. If I made a partition, or if I deleted my Wondows 7 to just install Windows XP: I would lose all hardware drivers and all installed data. :!:

So I have thought about installing a virtual Windows XP on my Windows 7; to check if conflicts are resolved.
At the moment I am downloading some installations files...
First from here, "Windows Virtual PC":
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... px?id=3702
Second from here, "Windows XP Mode":
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... px?id=8002

As I see, there is no technical support for Windows XP in Windows 10. In some places a "Setup a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 Hyper-V" is recommended. Here: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create ... 0-hyper-v/

But, these sites of Microsoft :? Installing things that do not work well and is not clear what I must to do...
I don't know how a Windows XP emulator works, nor a "virtual machine"; so I'm looking at the pages with tutorials.
For example, this tutorial: https://es.wikihow.com/instalar-Windows ... -Windows-7
Well, thanks to this tutorial, I get working the Virtual Windows XP. :) I will try to play BoD in there...
I have tried BoD with Virtual Win XP, all goes well, there is no conflict with the *.exe file; but the Virtual Win XP can not use all RAM memory, and all goes very slow... I mean, incompatibility problems and hardware conflicts seem to be resolved; The game is stable and does nothing strange. But the Win XP Virtual machine can only use a little RAM and is not enough to play fluently... It is as if the computer only has 512MB of RAM. It is a pity. :(

If someone has test the BoD game with a Win XP emulator, could you comment about how to make it and how it works? Thank you. :)
Last edited by MBK_MBK on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loose your ghosts, because they keep suspiciously your freedom.

SrRaulCL
Whelp

Re: Trying to run BoD on a virtual Windows XP

Postby SrRaulCL » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 am

Hola MBK, yo casualmente tengo un PC con Windows 7 y Blade funciona mejor en ese portátil viejo que en mi sobremesa (cosas de Blade) Aun no estoy muy seguro de que sea por Windows, creo más bien que se trata de un problema de hardware como tu dices, en concreto de las tarjetas gráficas, parece que mientras más modernas son más problemas dan. Si tienes una tarjeta gráfica para NVIDIA puedes probar esto:

- Entrar en la ruta: panel de control de NVIDIA/controlar la configuración 3D/configuración de programa
- Buscas Blade y en las opciones inferiores además de activar la VS y triple buffer seleccionas GPU de renderizado para OpenGL
- Una vez le das a tu tarjeta gráfica dedica para que solo use esa.
- Entra a Blade con la configuración de video OpenGL y comprueba si ha mejorado

Creo que el problema es que en muchas ocasiones el juego busca una tarjeta gráfica y ninguna le gusta (por así decirlo). Yo tengo dos por ejemplo y al dejar que la aplicación decida cual elegir empezara a cambiar de una a otra todo el rato, por eso si coge la integrada el juego se volverá lento por momentos y si decide usar la 1070 (que es la mía dedicada en este caso) el juego se volverá demasiado rápido. Al forzar el juego a usar una gráfica para OpenGL y al mismo tiempo VS esté debería de funcionar correctamente, al menos con la configuración de video OpenGL.

Comenta si funciona sino puedo pensar otra cosa antes que la maquina virtual.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:42 am

Si tienes una tarjeta gráfica para NVIDIA puedes probar esto:
I don't have NVIDIA.
Before I said that my graphics card is ATI RADEON 5000 series, 1GB. (I don't remember the exact serial number.)
Comenta si funciona sino puedo pensar otra cosa antes que la maquina virtual.
I have tried everything I said before I did; and also I have tried what you said from here and from another post. I still have the same problem, due to hardware incompatibility.

- The virtual machine for Win XP, only recognizes 512 MB of RAM... I was wondering if there is any way to increase it, so that it goes faster; because everything seems that works fine, but all operations are very slow.

SrRaulCL
Whelp

Postby SrRaulCL » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:31 am

Claro, hay muchos tutoriales en Youtube, mira esta por ejemplo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMUWO8JWVAk

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

I already looked several tutorials about that.
...I will try with "Virtual Box". :|

Anyway, if someone knows how use the "Virtual Windonws XP" of Microsoft and to add more RAM memory... thanks.
Well, I answer my self: "Virtual Windonws XP" of Microsoft IS USELESS. :x

And if someone has test the BoD game with a Win XP emulator, could you comment about how to make it and how it works? Thank you.
Well, I answer my self: "Virtual Box" is complex and works. I have the program "Virtual Box", a Win XP installed in that Virtual Box, configurated as best I know with more RAM... But I have a problem: The Virtual Box does not use my Graphic card ATI RADEON, only uses a generic driver that can not works well with 3D software. So, I have managed to install the game BoD in the "virtual Windows XP", I can share files between the two windows OS; but no 3D game works, the screen remains black. :? :|

Anyway, has anyone gotten "Virtual Box" work with all right? That the program (Virtual Box) can recognize the graphic hardware. :?:

If it is not possible to solve it with this, the only option I have left is to try another old graphics card; or get an NVIDIA graphics card. :roll:

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 am

Well, so the "Virtual Box" has its limits:
With the latest Version 6 of the "Virtual Box", it is possible to use OpenGL and d3D, but all games will be very slow due to the "low power" that can be emulated...
Maximum RAM: less than half of the total.
Maximum graphic card: 128 MB.
Maximum speed of CPU: less than half of the total, or only one core.
Screen resolution: limited to host desk size, always a little less.
And the sound sometimes does not works in full screen.

I have managed to play the original BoD in my "virtual Windows XP", and the game runs stable and without conflicts; but it is very slow. If I cannot use the original game due to lack of power in memory and graphics, it will be impossible to use my Hyperborean Mod. :(

And so, I understood what "emulation" means: that hardware components are emulated with software; and that this cannot go beyond a limit according to the "data/electronics architecture". :idea: :?
finally... :roll:

cieply
Dragon

_

Postby cieply » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:55 am

I was to ask if you use VirtualBox but you already did. How about VMware?

When I had speed problems, setting cpu affinity to one core resolved that. You can try this as well.

When it comes to making room for another operating system, you wouldn't need much for XP if you plan to use it only for playing game/s. And it will read your Win7 partition/s as they are NTFS. You only need to put it on primary partition, and doesn't have to be first one.
Recently I resized laptop drive from single partition to three, without second drive although I recommend to do it on desktop, with second drive for backup and temporary storage as it speeds up process. I used live linux run from memory stick and ntfsprogs (on board already) and cfdisk. I used slax, and the old version as it's more user friendly with modules and you can use kvpm - gui for parted but you can use new version 9 or any distribution for that matter. If you wanted more graphical disk tools then specialized distro could be more helpful.

If you resize then you can use native XP and booting can be easily solved natively from win7. There are also gui tools like VisualBCD; that one I actually used before.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 am

Greetings.

I just wanted to report that the problem is due to hardware incompatibility.
I have verified this by changing my ATI RADEON 1 GB (5000 series) graphics card for an older one: ATI RADEON 128 MB (X550 series). On the oldest video card there are no acceleration or deceleration problems; the game is more stable even on Windows 7 (64bit).

Now, I just have the problem that the OpenGL video controller in the BoD game doesn't work for me and I can't see the words on the menu because with other drivers they are black. :roll:
This can only be solved with the correct drivers for the graphics card; but these drivers were for Windows XP... Anyway, I'm looking for the OpenGL drivers that are compatible with Windows 7, and so to be able to use OpenGL.

Seems that the Hyperborean mod has reached too much complexity in the code and I can no longer use it as before in old computers of the year 2005; it even goes "adjusted" in my current computer that is from 2010. The game needs more resources of RAM, CPU and of Graphic Card, to be able to work with fluidity and stability. In addition I had to return to normal textures to play without camera breaks. But this should not be a problem for people who have a computer with compatible hardware.
At least I can continue working on the development of the Hyperborean Mod, finishing it, while I am checking every new feature that I add. :)
How about VMware?
Hello Cieply. :)
I did not know about it. I will look at all the things you have told me. Many thanks for the info.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”