Strange Lighting Glitch Windows 10 OpenGL

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

ChainBS
Hatchling

Strange Lighting Glitch Windows 10 OpenGL

Post by ChainBS »

Hey guys just wanted to check out some of one of my favorite hack'n'slash games and got it all set up. Installed all the patches and updates to get it running and was met with this lighting glitch in fullscreen mode. Doesn't do it in windowed mode but I couldn't figure out how to resize the window, and besides fullscreen mode is preferable. I opened OBS up to capture the glitch so I could show you guys and ask for some help and... this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqWLGAJ ... e=youtu.be

Glitching on main monitor, not glitching in obs preview. If anyone could help me solve this problem I would be super grateful, I love this game and would love to beat it again.

Sryml
Dragon

Re: Strange Lighting Glitch Windows 10 OpenGL

Post by Sryml »

Hi ChainBS,

You only need to configure opengl and set the SwapInterval value to 1. This means that the graphics will enable vertical synchronization, which can solve the full screen glitch problem.

Adjust OpenGL windowing resolution:
1. Shortcut key win+↑ to maximize the window
2. Console command, Raster.SetWindowSize(1440,900). This is my commonly used resolution. I like windowing and it looks very comfortable at 16:10. :D

How to start the console:
Create a text file in the Bin folder of the game's main directory and name it "Blade.bat". The edited content is as follows

Code: Select all

Start "" Blade.exe -console
save document. Running "Blade.bat" will start the game with a console.

enjoy it!
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0SHO ... P3FdZLWzpQ

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

Changing that option worked for me, amazing thank you so much. I got the game to open with the console doing what you said, but how do I actually write in the console? I have a blinking cursor but it won't let me actually type anything in it.

Also, are there any other tweaks or enhancements you would recommend making? I turned the brightness down like some others have suggest and it definitely improves the atmosphere.

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

There is a dividing line at the bottom, you just need to pull it up.

It is wise to reduce the brightness. Too high brightness of opengl will cause distortion of graphics. Although OGL's graphics quality is not the best, its compatibility is the highest based on experience.

:D I suggest you try dgVoodoo and use D3d. You can look at this topic:
BoD Optimization Config (for win7,8,10)

You can appreciate the D3d graphics quality of win10:
HD Textures for D3d

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

I tried the r3dfx voodoo patches but wasn't able to get that working, the game just hangs on start up. That's why I went with the opengl option, just to see if it would work. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with how it looks despite some low rez sky textures. I'm a bit too eager to actually start playing the game to keep messing around with graphics settings right now lol. But if I end up playing it more in the future I will certainly want to give the other renderers a go. Thanks again.

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

Damn the game crashes on me when picking up the parchment to move to the second level as the Knight, maybe I will be testing out the other renderers, anyone else have problems with crashing when moving to the next level? tried it like 4 times in a row crashed every time.

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

Try turning off the shadow? I'm not sure. But some inexplicable crashes in fixed areas are usually caused by shadows. Like the last staircase of Amazon's first level.
Using full screen or windowing, try each adjustment. You can even enable the console to check for error messages (generally at the bottom, although nothing may happen). :?

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

i'll give it a shot, gonna go to sleep now so i'll work on it tomorrow thanks man.

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

Tried a few different renderers and window vs fullscreen mode, no luck. Here is the last thing I see in the console before the game crashes. https://imgur.com/lqGIZ1R

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

Bad news, the console does not have any useful information (error messages with question marks). It looks like you are crashing on the loading screen, so this has nothing to do with shadows. :roll:

This is very strange, I can't find the reason so I can't solve it. But don't worry, there are always other ways for you to continue the game. :D
I can write some code so that you can save the current character status and jump to any level (maybe there is already a MOD for this function, I do n’t remember it).

Just copy all the blue highlighted codes to the console and press Enter. Do n’t miss any symbols:

import GoToMapVars,MemPersistence;\
MemPersistence.Store('2DMapValues',GoToMapVars.Set2DMapValuesAux());\
GoToMapVars.SaveMainCharState('MainChar');\
Bladex.LoadLevel("Labyrinth_M6")

Map code reference

good luck!

ChainBS
Hatchling

Post by ChainBS »

Wow weird stuff is happening lol. I tried it and the game crashed again just the same as before, so I tried running it from the main menu and it spawned me into the level as a spider outside the walls of the castle lmao. I was able to use the spiders leap and everything, pretty crazy. I started a new game with the knight and tried the command and it worked, however it spawned me into the level as a level 1 knight with no equipment, so that kinda sucks. I'm going to try fighting through the level until before the ragnar fight and use the command, hopefully that works. I'll still be short the combat sword and any xp from fighting Ragnar, but if it works its better than nothing.