I'm in quite a pickle...

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Talrivian
Hatchling

I'm in quite a pickle...

Postby Talrivian » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 am

Ok. First off, I have had this game ever since it came out and my brother and I are die hard fans of it. We have never, however, joined any communities or anything for it or played it online. I just finished building my new computer, and went to install this bad boy, to discover that for whatever reason, my CD had become horribly mutilated in storage while I was moving...

Now as far as I can tell, there are 2 versions of this game:

Severance: Blade of Darkness
Blade of Darkness

My CD says "Blade of Darkness", and I'm assuming that's the "United States" version. Now I looked all over online for Blade of Darkness to buy a new copy, but can't find ANYTHING under like... $39.99 or whatever. Also, a few copies I found online were called "Severance: Blade of Darkness".

Are there any major differences between the European and United States versions of the game? Do I need separate 1.01 patches? Also, I know this is bad, but, I downloaded an ISO of the game from a bittorrent site of desperation, and it was the European version. Sadly, it required the CD to play which BAFFLED me, because my United States version that I bought so many years ago has NEVER required the CD to play. Why is this? This has my thoroughly confused...

One last question... If I were to show photo proof of legally owning this game, would it be O.K. for someone to send me a working copy of their game, preferably the U.S. version? I know it's a lot to ask, but this has always been one of my favorite games and I'd hate to shell out like $40.00 bucks for it... But if that's what I have to do, then I will do that.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 am

Hi and Welcome Talrivian.[:D]

There are a few US based sellers on E-Bay at the mo, Cheapest $6.00 Gotta be worth it.[:p]

Centurion
Whelp

Postby Centurion » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:36 am

Talrivian,

Welcome to the forum.

You can download the complete
US version of BOD for 9.99 plus tax here : http://www.codemasters.com/downloads/de ... p?id=24145

Talrivian
Hatchling

Postby Talrivian » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Hey, thanks for the e-bay link, I bought that $6.00 copy, what a steal! As to Centurion, I'm a little weary of the "Download" versions of games... I've had issues with them not being very easily edited and patching them can be a pain. It's like they are a version of the game that's locked and... weird... Have you met anyone that has used the Downloaded version of BoD? Can it be patched? Does it come patched already? If trymedia were to ever go out of business, would I still be able to use it? Do I have to "register it" online every time I want to install it, or can I just type in my "Activation code" each time and have the game forever?

Also, another question. What would happen if I installed the game, then just copied the files into a folder, and zipped it, and put it on another computer. My US copy never ever required a CD to play, so what stops the game from functioning if you just copy the files straight of the installation folder onto a blank CD?

Centurion
Whelp

Postby Centurion » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Talrivian</i>

Hey, thanks for the e-bay link, I bought that $6.00 copy, what a steal! As to Centurion, I'm a little weary of the "Download" versions of games... I've had issues with them not being very easily edited and patching them can be a pain. It's like they are a version of the game that's locked and... weird... Have you met anyone that has used the Downloaded version of BoD? Can it be patched? Does it come patched already? If trymedia were to ever go out of business, would I still be able to use it? Do I have to "register it" online every time I want to install it, or can I just type in my "Activation code" each time and have the game forever?

Also, another question. What would happen if I installed the game, then just copied the files into a folder, and zipped it, and put it on another computer. My US copy never ever required a CD to play, so what stops the game from functioning if you just copy the files straight of the installation folder onto a blank CD?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm playing the downloaded version I suggested to you. It is the full game. Completely editable. I've changed a number of things to suit myself.

Edit: No patching required either. As for moving the game to another computer. You need to use the supplied installer that comes with the Disc. Without that, necessary registry entries won't be made. That means the game would not function.

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:12 pm

To play requires the CD? strange, i have spanish version and I play without cd [B)]

Centurion
Whelp

Postby Centurion » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daxon</i>

To play requires the CD? strange, i have spanish version and I play without cd [B)]

That's not what I said.

You cannot simply transfer the Program file to another computer and expect it to work without the registry entries made during the original installation.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Postby Crawdaddy79 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Centurion</i>

Talrivian,

Welcome to the forum.

US version of BOD for 9.99 plus tax here : http://www.codemasters.com/downloads/de ... p?id=24145

Holy cow - what a great feature!

I recently cleaned my hard drive and don't know where my Blade CD is... I'm sure I'll find it but it's good to know that there's a legit way to get the game if I'm ever in a situation where it can't be found. [:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Craw.[:D] How's it hangin'?[8D]

Centurion
Whelp

Postby Centurion » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crawdaddy79</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Centurion</i>

Talrivian,

Welcome to the forum.

Holy cow - what a great feature!

I recently cleaned my hard drive and don't know where my Blade CD is... I'm sure I'll find it but it's good to know that there's a legit way to get the game if I'm ever in a situation where it can't be found. [:D]

<font color="green">You're welcome. Just make sure you save your E-mail with your activation code. Once you've Downloaded the game installation file. Save it on a disc.</font id="green">

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Postby Crawdaddy79 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:57 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

Hi Craw.[:D] How's it hangin'?[8D]

Little lower than when you last saw me. Man it's been a while since I logged on in here.

Still hopping and popping, I see.

<font color="green">You're welcome. Just make sure you save your E-mail with your activation code. Once you've Downloaded the game installation file. Save it on a disc.</font id="green"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I see they have a "download insurance" option similar to EA's Downloader... That's just silly.

After posting what I posted last night, I went into my dresser cabinet and looked for the disc... Found it. I will talk about the download option to others that have shown interest in the game, but never got around to finding a copy.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”