Blade of Darkness speedruns (New and Improved)

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Miles
Whelp

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:44 pm

There are no "Level up to # level" enemies. Certain enemies just give tons of experience. The king skeleton gives 61440 experience, and you need 50+100+200+400+800+1600+3200+6400+12800+25600=51150 experience to reach level 11. So, the king skeleton is guaranteed to make you at least level 11.

As for the Zatoichi strategy, I had to rerecord that segment a lot. Not stopping to kill anything else is definately the fastest way through the level, but the boss fight is very error-prone and hard to pull off. At least throwing the Zatoichi will still remain useful for the next few levels. If you take the rune route last in the Mines level you should be level 3 for the acid sequence. Ideally at full health, is this enough to survive the mantling animations?

mingyue1371
Dragon

Postby mingyue1371 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am

HI,MILE,I had a problem to make the action:walking on the wall and sinking in the ground,I had tried for two days,but failed at last ,however,the airclimbing can be done successful.I wonder why,is there a version problem of my Bod?

Miles
Whelp

Postby Miles » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:21 am

Although I've only tested the US version 1.1, I can't imagine any reason why the physics glitches would act differently between localizations.

Walking on walls is a side effect of having the wrong rotations due to breakdancing: the game is trying to "step down" downwards from your current rotation as if you were on stairs, while moving upwards from your current rotation is a result of wallzipping. Its very hard to control in most cases.

Sinking in the air is easiest if you hold down a direction and alternate the jump/block keys really fast -- during this, do not move the mouse or the dodge may fail.

Sinking through actual ground is specific to the breakdancing glitch (Which is similar input).

I see you've posted a thread specifically about breakdancing, so I'll answer that one with the details.

On a side note, they're STILL looking for verifiers for this game over at SDA, and I submitted my first run 8 months ago. Lol. This game could use some popularity.

So_RusTeD
Hatchling

Postby So_RusTeD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">About Kashgar, I found this glitchless speedrun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWxwXCXwlI - the only fight is with skeletons in the trap; 10 minutes (skeleton fight is 4 minutes). He also has a glitchless Tell Halaf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHipmElfrtY<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
LoL, those shitty runs are mine. I didn't know any other good attempts existed, I thought otherwise it would be on youtube..

Anyways, really good run and very entertaining. My favorite part was collecting the sword from tomb of Ephyra. The way I see it, there is no need to further improve this run or to make other runs.

cieply
Dragon

Re: I wonder if "wallclimbing" can be considered a glitch

Postby cieply » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:58 am

I wonder if "wallclimbing" can be considered a glitch btw. Yes, it's not how the character should be moving, BUT it's not achieved by abusing specific key combinations etc, it frequently happens by itself and I think most of you are familiar with it. Here, I made a demo with Amazon at Mines Of Kelbegen (not with purpose of really speedrunning Mines, just showing these few tricks).
You've just named it, therefore given it official status of existence as a bug along airclimbing and breakdancing :¬)

Seriously - it is a glitch. You cannot walk on the 78° slope (yes, I measured it). It has to be said that it is not physics glitch though - you don't abuse physics as such (like you certainly do in airclimbing) but rather imperfectly, not to say poorly programmed walking on inclined surfaces. My hypothesis (not to be confused with theory) is that it's caused by wrongly calculated/assumed position of feet on surface (engine thinks you are actually bit farther than you really are) or by wrongly calculated friction force on the surface or maybe both. Note that it certainly has something to do with friction because it may happen on surfaces with specific textures, textures for which high coefficient of friction is assigned, like those rocks in Mines of Kelbegen. Anyway - it's my guess, I can't dissassemble engine :-> . It's still intelligent guess, I can't prove it so it's still a guess. Even if you can show empirical application and performance of it (quite like Huber's hypothesis aka Huber's equation everyone is using it to calculate strength of materials but it's still is a hypothesis)
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”