primaeval...new indie game that looks the goods

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

sfb
Dragon

primaeval...new indie game that looks the goods

Postby sfb » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:39 am

Just stumbled upon this in moddb http://wisealiengames.com

Looks good, hopefully the dev can integrate a few severance mechanics into the next build.

cheers
sfb

Blackbeard
Dragon

Re: primaeval...new indie game that looks the goods

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Wow this looks really good, im no fan of the magic but the melee combat looks really promising.
I just hope this isnt going to be yet another "puts up a video every month, then every 2 months and then disappears completely" scenario.

At the moment id go as far as to say this is BoD 2.0

It's missing some things though, like realtime shadows and limb cutting, so far ive only seen beheading and since every game that claims they have gore only have beheading these days im getting kinda bored, i miss the old games like Die by the Sword, Aliens versus Preadator and Blade of Darkness where you could cut off anything, especially in Die by the Sword.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:25 am

Yeah I hope that's not the case as it's just himself working on it. Too many good looking mods/games have disappeared completely so i'll keep my fingers crossed for this one.

I have however left a few comments on his page regarding combat and Severance and so fourth. It turns out he's a big fan of Severance so hopefully he'll implement more blade like features. He's already working on a lock on feature due to myself and a few others asking for it, so he's definitely open to suggestions and feedback.

Anyway hopefully he releases a demo soon so we can have a play and provide some feedback, until then i'll keep an eye on his moddb page.

cheers,
sfb

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:20 pm

oh, nice. Cant wait for that then.

BODnewbie2
Dragon

Postby BODnewbie2 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:35 pm

looks great ! Is it OpenSource ?

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 am

He's using unity3d so it's possible it could be an opensource project. Obviously it's entirely up to him to make that decision but it would be great to see more collaborators on this project.

By the way i've been keeping a keen eye on your discussions with Harrison, hopefully you guys can breathe some new life into Blade....all the best.

cheers
sfb

BODnewbie2
Dragon

Postby BODnewbie2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm

hello,

Yeah, it would be cool to create a kind of patch bringing all the best mod we have so far. I'm very motivated to start modding but there is no really a guideline with exemples. Theres always something going wrong which prevent to go further. For exemple, BOD wont work on W7 , 3ds 2.5 unavailable .. :|

Theres so many aspect we can add to this game to make it something like skyrim but with a better gameplay. To implement more human dimension to the ennemies AI, a "motivation bar" which indicate if the ennemy will run away or even be your ally ; and will be related with the "health bar" .

I have a bad opinion of unity 3d, despite its a powerfull tool, the games produced are (looks) laggy. And after all, i think it offers too much possibilities ; why not being less ambitious ? They should propose a kind of Open action RPG in a open world a give all the tools to mod from A to Z and based on standard formats.

Feel free to join our discussion, i'm looking foward to obtain a BOD model in collada (.dae) or .fbx to adapt a full set of fight movements

cheers mate

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:18 am

Yeah unfortunately Bod is pretty old now and a lot of programs might not work with it anymore. If it wasn't for the Blade of Light Mod it would certainly look its age too.

Again, unfortunately I don't possess the skills or time to assist with modeling and so fourth. I enjoy some basic re-texturing but that's about it really.
Sir Random's Bod mod in the doom 3 engine looked promising but it appears to be a dead project. So I suppose it leaves us dreaming of a new Bod in a new engine by a new developer ...which will probably never happen. Even though Primaeval ( it just won indiedb top indie game too ) looks great, it's still only being developed by one person, not a team of many like in Skyrim or Dark Soul's case.

So I suppose it begs the question...how hard would it be to animate a high poly model with similar combat animations to bod in a new engine like source or unity? How hard would it be to have a similar lock on system and ai? I'm guessing really hard as some people on this forum would have probably tried by now.

Hopefully you and Harrison can work something out because it would be awesome ...anyway, good luck and happy new year mate.
cheers
sfb

BODnewbie2
Dragon

Postby BODnewbie2 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:13 am

helllo, happy new year in Australia,

For my point of view, a new engine is pointless unless you can transfer all the materials from the old to the new and make modding something even more easy. In facts, what bring a new engine ? I saw the results of Idtech4 (doom3) it looks very nice, but does it create more barriers or not ?

Efforts should be aimed to make the game even more easy to mod and develop a whole rpg-layer on the current game starting with a more intercative world and higher AI of ennemies (make them less offensive for exemple)
Beside this, you can add some wonderfull mod which improve the the graphics : blade of light ; the fun : gore-blood and implement more character and movements

cheers,

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”