Blade still alive?

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Haraldzz
Dragon

Re: Blade still alive?

Postby Haraldzz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:31 am

Wow, you people really have made me want to re-install BoD all over again. Must... Resist... The temptation!!!

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Wow, you people really have made me want to re-install BoD all over again. Must... Resist... The temptation!!!
Resistance is futile, install... :twisted:

Got my first crash last night, fighting the 2 dark knights in Xshathra.
Mods: http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods

"The only solution is to solve the whole mystery, and return home as soon as possible."

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:09 am

Had a few crashes as well. and scene lockups where the barbarian just stands still and you have to tab out of the game and close the gaming window manually.

Not sure if Nglide/3Dfx causes it but, at the end of mines, the loading screen for the map crashes, can still hear sound but not see anything, and have to ctrlaltdel to close the game.

gonna test today if its cause of fogfix mod installed. but its tedious playing through the mines over and over, trying to keep a minimum of saves but i guess i have to save more often so i dont have to run through the entire map just because of that.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:28 am

You don't need fogfix with nglide, it's only the rOpengl raster that causes thick fog on some maps, but fogfix definitely doesn't cause any crashes, it only changes the atmosphere intensity on some maps.

I only had that one crash in Xshathra, which I got many times before (known bug), the game has been flawless otherwise (i7, GTX 970, 24Gb ram)

Just starting Tower of Dal Gurak :twisted:

"The only solution is to solve the whole mystery, and return home as soon as possible."

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:34 am

ok good to know

(edit) seems like 3Dfx have problems with the map screen, cause it crashes everytime it loads

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:54 am

Finished the game with Sargon, now it's Barb's turn :)

Bud Bud
Whelp

Postby Bud Bud » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Finished the game with Sargon, now it's Barb's turn :)
Is it somehow possible to perform south/north cross with Ianna without executing Iannas Light? Without mods ofc.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Is it somehow possible to perform south/north cross with Ianna without executing Iannas Light? Without mods ofc.
Good question, I was thinking the same thing in Dal's tower and Abyss with Sargon. The only way I can think of is to reassign the key combo for Ianna's Light.
Ianna's Light is an awkward combo because it's very easy to use it by accident, 'attack' and step back is probably the main method of combat in Blade so it's hard to avoid doing it in tense situations. I just try to always use 'left attack', 'right attack' or 'back attack' with Ianna in close combat, but the occasional Ianna's Light will creep in and cost me dearly. I think the 'attack' + 'down' key combo was chosen deliberately to make it more awkward.

What Barb weapon do you guys recommend against skellies at lvl 9? It took me ages to beat the Skel king with the long sword. Later swords have combos that can kill skellies in one go, but I struggled a bit in Tomb of Ephyra.

Also, I was throwing away Barb's long sword and it actually slashed me as it started spinning :(. I don't remember that happening before...

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:01 pm

On skeletons with barbarian and long sword (which also have my favorite special attack) is to bait the "slash slash cleave"-combo that they do, just side step and do the sidestep slash attack or Long Sword special attack and you wont get hit a single time.
Just make sure to backstep as soon as you have attacked them else they hit you with a fast slash or stab.

If you dont have the Long Sword yet, the sidestep slash attack is pretty much the best way to take them down with any weapon,
if there are more than 1 skeleton try to make them hit eachother by running around them.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Yeah, that's what I was doing but it just seemed to take a lot of hits to kill them compared to Sargon using the Maces. Sargon can kill skellies with one combo every time, and the Skel King only needs 2 or 3 but with Barb and the long sword I had to hit the Skel King about 30 times.

Barb is much better with the queen's sword, gaining health with all 3 combo strikes while Sargon only gains health with the final strike. Trolls and Mino's are like walking health potions :)

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:53 pm

well i havent had any huge problems in doing damage to them, could be cause of differences in playstyle

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm

I got the Ice Axe in Nemrut and that changed everything for me as it does crush damage and it's combo is devastating. I cleared the second courtyard of skellies without taking any damage as just 1 hit from the 4 combo strikes of the Ice Axe will easily kill a skelly.
It kills full health Mino's with one combo attack and Golems just need 2. I think it's the most powerful weapon I've used in the game and I flew through Orlok, Nejeb, Al Farum, and I'm half way through Xshathra using just the Ice Axe :). It actually feels a bit like cheating.

Many players say the Ice Sword is Sargon's best weapon, but I always ignored it because of the low power rating. Next time I play Sargon I'll definitely give it a go.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:08 pm

yeah i did that first as well when i first found the ice sword back when i played through the game for the first time using the Knight.

I have to agree on the ice axe, its pretty powerful. Though if i remember correctly, the icesword combo for the knight does about 14000 damage which is the highest of all weapons in the game, and the only reason i personally dont use that weapon later on in the Abyss is because of ianna's ranged attacks.
As for the barbarians ice axe, the 4 hit combo is still extremely strong, atm its my main weapon, im still on my Barbarian, BoD isnt the only game i play currently so it takes a longer time for me, at the forge atm.

I still have problems with bugs and crashes, i have to take turns with rOpenGL raster and D3D to get past certain levels.

rOpenGL raster - causes a glitch where walking-cinematics cause the character to stand still forever (could probably be fixed by editing the maps to remove those segements, but i have no idea on how.)

D3D - have the infamous black menu text preventing you from knowing what you have selected.

I have also tried nGlide for running the game in 3Dfx, but when using 3Dfx it causes another problem, it seems like it cant handle the map screen or any loading screen, always freezes on that. So i avoid that setting, might be able to be fixed but i have no idea how.

Bud Bud
Whelp

Postby Bud Bud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Another fast and efficient barb combo against skeletons (acc. every fast hitting enemy) is Shredder with the Doom Axe if you don't have the rhino club. Afair the most damage deals the demon spears combo, which is about 20k.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:22 pm

I still have problems with bugs and crashes, i have to take turns with rOpenGL raster and D3D to get past certain levels.

rOpenGL raster - causes a glitch where walking-cinematics cause the character to stand still forever (could probably be fixed by editing the maps to remove those segements, but i have no idea on how.)

D3D - have the infamous black menu text preventing you from knowing what you have selected.

I have also tried nGlide for running the game in 3Dfx, but when using 3Dfx it causes another problem, it seems like it cant handle the map screen or any loading screen, always freezes on that. So i avoid that setting, might be able to be fixed but i have no idea how.
Weird, nglide works fine for me on 2 PCs, Win7 + GTX6600 and Win8.1 + GTX970. What OS and gfx card are you using?

Another fast and efficient barb combo against skeletons (acc. every fast hitting enemy) is Shredder with the Doom Axe if you don't have the rhino club. Afair the most damage deals the demon spears combo, which is about 20k.
I dumped the Doom Axe for the Ice Axe, and I ignored the Rhino Club because I wanted to keep the Queen's Sword. I'm looking forward to the Demon Spear, I can't remember much about playing Zoe except doing a LOT of side rolls.

I just got the Shark Sword in Dal's Tower, but I don't think I'll get much use from it since I have Ianna and the Ice Axe. Maybe it should have been made available in an earlier level.

EDIT\
actually, the Shark Sword was great against Meskalamdug. I used the Crown and killed him really quickly :)

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”