Why the game crashes randomly on Mods??????

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

nima207
Dragon

Why the game crashes randomly on Mods??????

Post by nima207 »

Hello everyone,
Why the game crashes randomly when i'm playing mods???
I have no safety when im playing mods and maps...
Could you please help me with that?
Thanks
If You Light A Lamp for Someone Else, It Will Also Brighten Your Path.

Sryml
Dragon

Re: Why the game crashes randomly on Mods??????

Post by Sryml »

Hi, :)
My suggestion is to play mods on a clean original game.
Don't install too many mods at once, as they may cause conflicts.

If possible, describe your problem in detail, specific mod? Any error messages?
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0SHO ... P3FdZLWzpQ

nima207
Dragon

Post by nima207 »

[quote=Sryml post_id=34614 time=1604642888 user_id=2110]
Hi, :)
My suggestion is to play mods on a clean original game.
Don't install too many mods at once, as they may cause conflicts.

If possible, describe your problem in detail, specific mod? Any error messages?
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, i did it on a copy of BOD i had with nothing else but the mod i wanted (Fugitive 3) but it crashes after killing 1 or 2 enemies, or randomly when i'm running in the map ...
other mods and maps are like this too...
i don't know what to do.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

It's annoying isn't it? :?

What settings are you running? I found when Win 7 came in the game would not run with D3D without frequent crashes -
not to mention black menus..... Switched to OGL and the crashes don't go altogether, but the game is a lot more stable.

On Win 10 it's not too bad. Not perfect, just not too bad. There are certain 'crash points' in the main game that I've noticed
since Win 10. One is at the top of the huge stairway in Nemrut. I think it's a torch that causes it, but so far I haven't been able
to nail it down in the scripts. It's mostly light sources/particle systems that cause crashes.

I had to remove the water from the selection map because this caused a crash every time. Any one else experience this?

If a crash happens repeatedly in one point let me know and I might be able to fix it. 8)

Have you tried playing with the shadows disabled?

Sryml
Dragon

Post by Sryml »

My current situation is that OGL can no longer run perfectly on my win10 system. It must be started with the console and input meaningless messages in the console. :?

But fortunately I can use D3d, dgVoodoo makes it work perfectly, there is no black menu. :D
Whether it is win7/10, D3d with dgVoodoo has always worked well. I turned off the Visible property of all light sources (including the sun decoration) and disabled game shadows.

The main game is very stable for me, and I haven't encountered any 'crash points' so far. :roll:

BTW, my game resolution does not exceed 1920*1080.
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0SHO ... P3FdZLWzpQ

nima207
Dragon

Post by nima207 »

nima207 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:08 pm [quote=prospero post_id=34616 time=1604747236 user_id=67]
It's annoying isn't it? :?

What settings are you running? I found when Win 7 came in the game would not run with D3D without frequent crashes -
not to mention black menus..... Switched to OGL and the crashes don't go altogether, but the game is a lot more stable.

On Win 10 it's not too bad. Not perfect, just not too bad. There are certain 'crash points' in the main game that I've noticed
since Win 10. One is at the top of the huge stairway in Nemrut. I think it's a torch that causes it, but so far I haven't been able
to nail it down in the scripts. It's mostly light sources/particle systems that cause crashes.

I had to remove the water from the selection map because this caused a crash every time. Any one else experience this?

If a crash happens repeatedly in one point let me know and I might be able to fix it. 8)

Have you tried playing with the shadows disabled?

Greetings to you Sir,
First let me answer you, It's far far more than Annoying... i'm playing on Win10 and let me Update my game status, It works fine now.
2 Days ago i was searching on this forum to see if i could find a solution and BINGO! i found 2 and it fixed it.
First i saw you were giving advice to someone to turn off the shadows, and second one was the video on youtube (I can't remember which one cause i saw many videos), that the person was saying that it's better to set the resolution each time you want to play the game with opengl because it prevents some sudden crashes. But the most sufficient doing was to turn off the shadows, So Thank you so much for the help.
However unfortunately A few years ago i tried to play without shadows but it didn't work that time... now i just don't know how it's fixed, i just want to play all the mods and maps i can till it's not f***ed up :lol: :lol:
Now i finished Fugitive 3 and it was Really Amazing, Also Peasants Revolt (I loved it) and some others. I know it's too late to say but it's the only time i could manage to finish these and let me tell you, you guys are Goddamn Genius! i mean that and i Really Do!!!
And about the crashes, i just had exactly 3 crashes in Fugitive 3 if you want to know, 3 random times when i was killing 3 random Zombie Knights it happened. Nothing else...

At last i wanted to Thank you and everyone who Creates Mods and Maps for BOD. You guys are awesome and your ideas are Brilliant! I hope you guys be on the mood to keep up these good works. I'm really happy and proud of this community.

nima207
Dragon

Post by nima207 »

Sryml wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:37 pm My current situation is that OGL can no longer run perfectly on my win10 system. It must be started with the console and input meaningless messages in the console. :?

But fortunately I can use D3d, dgVoodoo makes it work perfectly, there is no black menu. :D
Whether it is win7/10, D3d with dgVoodoo has always worked well. I turned off the Visible property of all light sources (including the sun decoration) and disabled game shadows.

The main game is very stable for me, and I haven't encountered any 'crash points' so far. :roll:

BTW, my game resolution does not exceed 1920*1080.

Hello Mister,
It's strange and i just don't why, but it works fine now for me with OGL as i said here in my previous reply.
It just make me so confused...
Do you believe this ? A few months ago i played Dal Gurak's Revenge, however many crashes happened but i managed to finish it... And now it doesn't launch, not even 1 second... just an error and crash...
How is that even possible??? I don't get it...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

First of all, thank you for the kind words. :D

There are many strange glitches that seem to have crept into BOD and without the help of the original developers
it a question of guesswork for me to try and work around them. All I can say is, save often. :lol:

At the moment I can only run the game in windowed mode and only start it from the console. :?

Sometimes I can't even get the launch window. Restarting helps, but that's a PITA. :lol:

I take your point that some mods crash on launch when they had run perfectly in the past and you have made no alterations
to the setup. I can only draw the conclusion that the windows auto-updates somehow upset certain things. I NEVER used to
update win7 but you don't have a lot of choice nowadays and at least some of the updates are beneficial. If I could have a dedicated
PC for BOD that was not connected to the net I would do. :D