An other one like Severance

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

cyco
Dragon

An other one like Severance

Postby cyco » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:41 am

My hope is gone!!!
Since I've finnished Severance, a couple of months ago, I'm looking for a other game as gore as Severance. 'Cause I've allready finished it 9 times ( 2 times w. Nagelfar, 2 times w.the knight, 2times w. the Barbarrian, and 3 times w. Zoe)
CAN SOME BODY HELP ME????

CritterKiller
Whelp

Postby CritterKiller » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:12 pm

Why the hell did you post the post in both forums? Oh well, nevermind.
I heard some people on this forum talk about a game called Enclave. I read a bit about it, too. Eddie didn't seem to like the game so much though. I saw one screenshot, the graphics seemed ok, but fo some reason, even though BoD is an "old" game for pc game standards, the graphic is still cool. Oh well, then we have the LotR pc game (Fellowship, not Two Towers, I think that's only PS2) which I didn't like too much (at least the demo) . I think these were the games you can best compare to BoD, all others which are similar are "real" RPGs with items and dialogues etc.
BTW, welcome to the forum [:D]

cyco
Dragon

Postby cyco » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:35 pm

I wanted to be sure to be resded by the maximum of people! That's why I've puted it twice on both forum.
Any way, thanx for the tips!

marcusparcus
Hatchling

Postby marcusparcus » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:23 pm

Sadly there is no other game like BOD. It is unique. There would have been another one - it was to be called BOD 2! If ever I win the lottery I will immediately reform RebelAct and demand that they stay in a darkened, computer filled room until the project is finished. Until that day.... erm.... well u could always play through again with the dwarf (my personal favourite)- I notice u've only done him twice!

Completely off the point but nevertheless interesting (IMO), I saw BOD being sold for £4.99 in Comet! So for anyone who hasn't yet got it, what are you doing sat reading this? Fly you fools!!!

Kain´s seventh son
Hatchling

Postby Kain´s seventh son » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:31 pm

yay! there´s allways mods! head http://www.dahlby.net/games/blade/ and gather some new great experiences!

Eddie
Whelp

Postby Eddie » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:28 am

There can be only one...BoD, Enclave is S#1TE! Learn to live with it and play the mods, They are excellent and are very creative interpretations of the original.

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Postby Dr.Haggard » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:12 pm

Enclave is not s*@te. Far, FAR from it, but it had a bad rap from impatient, narrow minded reviewers. Sound familiar? Us Blade fans should sympathise! There are a lot of devoted Enclave fans around who love the game, and some reviewers who 'got it' too (http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/Reviews/Enclave.html for instance). I read most of the mediocre reviews, and I disagree with them.

The game may not have the depth of combat that Severance does, but neither does any other game. Starbreeze weren't aiming for that, but the combat is still very satisfying indeed, especially the brilliantly implemented archery.

Besides, they should not be compared, and if they are then IMHO Enclave actually beats Severance on many counts [;)]

As for the lack of a save option during levels, I think it improves the game, but unfortunately most reviewers couldn't get over their frustration long enough to understand why. It was always a risky decision, and maybe they should've just added a save anywhere option to keep the FPS-fed masses happy, but lots of people thank them for sticking to their guns. Yes maybe they should have taken out a few of the instant-death scenarios and shortened one or two levels to suit it better, but no game is perfect.

It's a very different game from Severance, but similar enough at least to appeal to a fan of Severance. I'm surprised you're so negative about it Eddie, did you give it enough time? Plus it will be even better when it finally comes out on PC in a few months time. I recommend giving it another chance then, and stop comparing the combat to Severance, nothing will ever live up to your expectations if you insist on doing that.

In a nutshell, Enclave is the culmination of years of development (it was originally a PC only game before MS butted in) by one of the most talented and original (but jinxed!) developers around (the same people responsible for the doomed Into the Shadows in '95 and the cancelled Sorcery years later), and it truly is an amazing game. Worth the cost of an XBox IMHO, and with Halo as another incentive what more could you ask for? It was certainly enough to persuade this old PC elitist to change his ways and let a console into his life hehe... [:)]

CritterKiller
Whelp

Postby CritterKiller » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:07 pm

Don't get me started on Halo. Years in advance there was a hype around the game, what with the incredible graphics and physics engine. As the release date came nearer I got more exited all the time, this was the game that combined the pros of Tribes 2 and Unreal Tournament and had none of the contras and then, one day I found out MS had bought Bungie and now the game was to come out on Xbox first and then for PC. Suddenly I began to sympathize with that dude who threw a cake into Gates' face. I played it on Xbox once and it S U C K E D. You just can't replace the mouse in shooter games. Aiming with the gamepad was like trying to shoot mosquitos with a bow and arrow.
So now I don't give a S#1TE about the game anymore and play UT2003 instead [:)]

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Postby Dr.Haggard » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:48 pm

Hehe, I went through the same believe me. I remember the first press release and screenshot of Halo, then that first scripted in game movie. I watched and waited, and was just as disappointed and angry as everyone else when the whole XBox thing happened. How COULD they?! It's going to suck! For a start how can you play an FPS with a console controller?

When the XBox came out I pretty much ignored it, but I wondered what Halo would be like, and when I got to play it I was impressed, but annoyed by the controller as I expected. However, when I got around to getting an XBox myself (primarily just to play games with my family and have fun with it, but partly because I really couldn't wait any longer for Halo and Enclave, and XBoxes are cheap now!) I was really blown away by Halo.

You never really forget about the restrictive controls, but it quickly becomes second nature and perfectly usable, honestly. The game itself is pretty amazing, one of the best shooters ever, no argument. It has its faults of course, some repetetive levels being the main annoyance, and I think the PC version will have to be a bit more difficult to account for the more responsive and intuitive mouse control, but overall it has to be one of the most polished and immersive single player shooters of all time (it's no System Shock 2 of course, but that's not a 'shooter'). Forget that its on a console, it's just a great game, with a story that's still being picked apart and analysed by the nutters at bungie.org.

The PC version will almost certainly be an improvement (as long as Gearbox don't screw up) if only for the control aspect, but you can't escape the fact that it's a first class game.

Did the fact that MS bought Bungie suddenly drain all their talent and creativity? Nope. I think we have to accept nowadays that good games are being made for consoles (well, so far, the XBox) because really good PC developers are being enticed by the larger market and finally decent enough hardware. The PC will always be the best gaming platform for a host of reasons, we all know that, but I'm no longer an elitist PC snob (well, not as much as I was). If a game's good it's good, even if it might be better on a PC, it's still good [:)]

Eddie
Whelp

Postby Eddie » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:06 pm

Back to Enclave, I played the Light campaign, The sudden death stuff was cack-handed programming taken to the nth degree, Walk over a bridge, it collapses, you die...go back to the start, walk up a hill surrounded by lava (after a pig of level opener) and get hit by a boulder, knocked into the lava and start that level all over again...Every level had a trap like that, I guess it was to extend a rather short game and then to extend it further, play the same maps again as the Dark side...I'm not big on repitition, sorry. The combat is a farce compared to BoD you cant aim for s#1t with a melee weapon, I wasn't crazy 'bout the ranger, I played as the first character mostly or the druid. I dont see what you found impressive about the archery, but I only used the crossbow so I dont know about any other bow, The "bonus" maps were a pig as well, I only did two if I remember, but the difficulty was insane. I reckon the PC version will address melee, because the mouse will allow a finer adjustment for decapitation and if they add a few new levels and improve the savegame feature I'd consider buying it, but it's not up to scratch and I dont have time to repeat crap levels, there are too many excellent games to enjoy out there with out this dross.
Halo was fine for me as I started with Duke Nukem on PS One, so controllers weren't too alien to me, It's a class game but...[:)] I hated the autosave...get hit by a greande as you walk through a checkpoint...[:(]. Great game though...BUT MY FAVE on X-Box is..........Jetset Future Radio!!!! It's fun to play...totally off the wall and the music is cool, Second is Splinter Cell (close second) Third is Halo.
BTW I'm right about Enclave and you are wrong...So there...na na nana na!!!! [:)]

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Postby Dr.Haggard » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:56 pm

LOL :)

I accept your point about the traps, though I wouldn't call it 'cack-handed', perhaps just slightly...misguided level design hehe. Actually if you play carefully (which is what this game promotes) you should never get killed by a trap. Well, rarely. I never got killed by either of the ones you mentioned, you *can* avoid them even without having seen them once before.

I know what you're saying about the combat, but I still enjoy it. It's not easy to master, and you improve with practice, so it's not completely throw away. I still find a drawn out melee battle with a huge Berserker in full armour hugely satisfying and tense, and even just wading through goblins with an axe or sword is satifying. The ranged combat *is* really good, and the sound really adds to it too. For instance, playing with headphones on, coming up against Assassins firing 3 or 4 arrows at you at once, hearing them whiz past you and slam into wood or stone is very intense and immersive.

You have to admit that the character and inventory system is very good. Even before completing the Light campaign I'd already been back and played most levels again at least once with different characters and different weapons. Being able to just select any completed level, choose a character, tool up and play it in a totally different way from the last time is very cool. And its cool to be able to do the same while you play through the game, rather than being stuck with an initial choice of character for the whole game you choose who to take on every mission. If you screw up, try another approach with a different character or different combat style.

Personally I think the levels are stunning, but that's just me. I found it really immersive and even awe-inspiring at times, and the art in this game is unreal, from weapons and character skins to texture art to armour design.
I never had any trouble with the bonus levels either really, except the 'hard' level, which you'd expect. That just goes to show what I said about the combat, and good character\weapon choice is very important for those 'survival' levels too.

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree, hehe. Personally I think a cross between Blade and Enclave, with all the best bits from both and none of the faults, would make almost the perfect game :)

I wasn't too keen on JSRF myself, fun but boring after a while. It's certainly polished and impressive, I'll give it that, just not my cup of tea. I guess in a way it kind of sums up what I always disliked about consoles, it's just that sort of throw away kids game that can be fun for a bit but has no depth. Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

EDIT: sorry about the long posts, guess you hit on a favourite subject of mine, hehe. I should be in bed...

CritterKiller
Whelp

Postby CritterKiller » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:04 pm

Damn, is this the jinxed thread of long posts I've been hearing about?
Whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a declared console-h8er, I loved games like Tekken 3 (and other games) on the PS1, they just wouldn't be the same on the PC (which is the reason why Bleem! never really became popular I guess) . But my opinion concerning shooters on consoles stands (RPGs are fairly ok, I played Morrowind on XBox and apart from not being able to cheat via console it wasn't much different) . Not only are the controls less then perfect, the multiplayer part, if existent, is just plain worthless. I just can't find anything attractive about sitting in front of one screen together with my friend, trying to discern anything on my quarter of the it. Sure, all big consoles are supposed to support internet playing in a near future (or DO support it, I'm not so up-to-date concerning consoles) , but I'm not really sure that will work even half as well as on the PC.

BTW Eddie, what do you mean by "the level is a pig" . Irish slang?

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Postby Dr.Haggard » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:26 pm

I agree about multiplayer. My brother is in the XBox live beta in the UK at the moment and he says he's really enjoying it, but I haven't been to his house since he's had it. Personally I have no desire whatsoever to play Unreal Championship - I can't imagine a fast paced competetive multiplayer game like that with the XBox controller. Besides, I got bored of UT2003 pretty quickly, it could have been so much more.

However other types of game *could* be awesome on XBox live. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Eddie
Whelp

Postby Eddie » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:09 pm

Being a "pig" means very awkward and tiresomly difficult.

Kahnovitch
Hatchling

Postby Kahnovitch » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:45 pm

Greetings fellow sword/axe/mace (well you get the picture) swingers.
There is a game called "Rune" which is similar to BOD and also quite old now (I got it for £4 in a second-hand shop)
I haven't played it much as it's not a touch on the excellence of BOD, but a friend of mine reckons it's as good once you get past the rather dull first few levels.
Nice to find a place where BOD is loved the way it should be.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”