An other one like Severance

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Stiler
Whelp

Post by Stiler »

Shade's combat is just.....not fluid enough.

to use any special move you have to be in the "block" stance, which makes absolutely no sense.

mikros
Dragon

Post by mikros »

Unfortunately, if you are looking for games with similar mechanics as Blade, most of them will suck badly. However, if you look for games with a similar feeling and no-button-mash action you'd better go for early 90's arcades.

I assume that most members here are relatively old (as most young people do not seem to like good games as Blade), so you probably know about these games: Golden Axe 2 (revenge of Death-Adder, not the Genesis GA2), Knights of the Round, AD&D Tower of Doom and AD&D Shadow over Mystara.

You can find lots of similarities (and common characters[:D]) with Blade, and lots of hard tactical combats. Also, they might seem short, but remember that you are not done until you finish them using no continues[8D]...

bladde
Whelp

Post by bladde »

people i have finished 14 times with all the characters and i still get enough of it

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

Around the end of january 2005. will come out Shadow of Rome... And damn, it looks really promising!!!
I know some of you will criticise it because it comes out only on PS2... But check it first you might like it!
And who knows.... may be will it come on PC soon!
Look here for the differante videos...
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=24

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

I caught a preveiw of Shadow of Rome on TV today. It looks incredible.
It seems to draw heavly on the Gladiator movie. Be great if there is a PC version eventually.[8D]

Lord William
Whelp

Post by Lord William »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mikros</i>
I assume that most members here are relatively old (as most young people do not seem to like good games as Blade)....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mikros,
I've got underwear older than you are. - that's what old is.

-LW

mikros
Dragon

Post by mikros »

Maybe you could recommend us some old games ^^

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

Hey, Shadows of Rome is comming on 3rd February 2005... Sadly, its only on PS2... But looks really promising!

Ralo
Whelp

Post by Ralo »

It's very sad that there will be no new Severance game... but here are some games I have found offer a similar enjoyment:

1. Thief 3
2. Prince of Persia Sands of Time
3. Prince of persia Warrior Within
4. Conan
5. Knights of the Temple
6. Enclave

and you might want to look at EA's LOTR games. My personal recommendations would be LOTR: The Third Age and LOTR: The Battle For Middle Earth.

Of course, none of them have the true Severance 'feel', but I guess that's why Severance still stands alone, after all this time, as a mark of some sort of gaming excellence.

Stiler
Whelp

Post by Stiler »

For those of you looking for a new game with blades style of combat, the upcoming TES4: oblivion game seems it might have a combat system like that of blades. Hopefully, we can wait and see.

From what one of the devs described of the controls for a battle it seemed excatly like blades.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/main.php

Just seen a promo for this game on the box. (the idiot box not the xbox[:D]). It looks amazingly BODesque apart from the shadows. The combat system sems halfway decent. Due out april apparently.[8)]

Pittfiend
Hatchling

Post by Pittfiend »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/main.php

Just seen a promo for this game on the box. (the idiot box not the xbox[:D]). It looks amazingly BODesque apart from the shadows. The combat system sems halfway decent. Due out april apparently.[8)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I was just going to mention Dungeon Lords. It does look like fun and may have some good fighting. We can only hope. [:D]

I'm checking out this 'The Witcher' game now that you guys mentioned it.

Also I had a bad feeling about Knights Of The Temple when I saw the trailer.... the camera looks like it wants to do it's own thing. I hate games that have either crap controls or the camera wanders off. Bleagh.

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

You're right, KOTT is'nt very good, camera system is really ****ed up, and the entire game is.... well.... only OK, but not more than OK!!!

Pittfiend
Hatchling

Post by Pittfiend »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyco</i>

You're right, KOTT is'nt very good, camera system is really ****ed up, and the entire game is.... well.... only OK, but not more than OK!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I don't understand developers who make games with crap controls and dumb cameras. Is it because they're trying so hard to be different that they forget that these elements have been perfected already. I find it baffles me. Thanks for the warnings om KOTT.... I will avoid it like the plague.

This Wicker game looks promising tho....

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

I suppose you could get used to the KOTT controls eventually. But to me it was a bit like riding a bike while sitting backwards on the handlebars.[B)]