An other one like Severance

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Anti-Social FatMan
Hatchling

Post by Anti-Social FatMan »

psschaw! the only good things about doac is

a) the cool norse and arthurian atmos and mythos, very cool, enjoyable world

b) the concept of large scale wars with hunderds of people.. but guess what - never happens.. probably never will..

the fact that you can get to the highest possible levels in a few days for me, frankly, defeats the purpose of playing an mmo.. for me, killing a Dragon with 40 other people is better than taking place in large scale wars..... that never actually happen.. everyone i know who played EQ and moved to doac, is back playing eq..

shadowbane, i cannot and will not comment on, because i don't know anything about the game.. but perhaps you could say why you think its better to wait for a newer game?

one word for 'modernists'

Doom.

CritterKiller
Whelp

Post by CritterKiller »

I played DAoC for 2 month (beta-test) and, yes, I had reached level 48 quite fast. But the large scale wars (which did happen, I have no idea what kind of lamer server you were playing on) were fun, especially for thieves who could climb up walls. Firing at dragons guarding fortresses with siege instruments, mages standing on hills firing off spells at their counterparts on the castle walls, raiding parties meeting in the middle of nowhere and rushing at each other - all of this does happen, and it's fun as hell.
In EQ, if an enemy was too tough for me I just ran to the nearest cell border (which there are many of) *loading cell* and whoop! the enemy was gone. For me, EQ is like Counterstrike. Old game, crappy graphics, get's updated all the time and thousands of people play it even though there are better games out there(like America's Army).

CritterKiller
Whelp

Post by CritterKiller »

Totally forgot about Shadowbane [;)]
Hmm... not too much to say about it, since it isn't out yet, but all the previews looked nice and most beta testers only had good thing to say about it. Look at http://www.shadowbane.com for more info.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

MMORPG's are the devil.

Anti-Social FatMan
Hatchling

Post by Anti-Social FatMan »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CritterKiller</i>

In EQ, if an enemy was too tough for me I just ran to the nearest cell border (which there are many of) *loading cell* and whoop! the enemy was gone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Progression in EverQuest is very long and challenging process, it's safety nets like that that keep the game fun.. when you die you can lose 2-3 hours work, having no chance of escape at all would be simply tedious.. you mustn't have played terribly high, also, as higher level enemies summon you if you try to run away.. no escape.

anyways.. when did you actually play everquest? there have been a series of engine upgrades over the past year or so - the game looks like http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bray1/robe2.jpg now, its not *magnificant* - but 30 - 100 people close together.. well.. my PC struggles.. the lower quality graphics is a *good* thing..

aaaaaaaand in *my* opinion, the quality of the graphics makes up a small portion of the game, the <i>gameplay</i> is what counts..

each to their own, i guess

CritterKiller
Whelp

Post by CritterKiller »

Funny, that screenshot looks like DAoC run at low details [;)]
Whatever, I see your point concerning older pcs and many people on one place, but EQ... dayum those some crappy graphicz. Of course, gameplay is much more important, but graphics are what makes people decide between two games with good gameplay, which DAoC has (IMO better than EQ's but each to their own) .
Anywayz, they're working on EQ2 and if they don't screw it up like with Ultima 2 MMORPG players are in for a treat.

BTW, do you think EQ is the only game where you lose experience and items if you die? Only in DAoC you can get some of it back if you're good.

caravel
Whelp

Post by caravel »

RUNE is a good game you just need to get past the first few levels!!! (platformy puzzle oriented tentacle dodging, wacking giant crabs!)

It is based on the Unreal/Unreal Tournament Engine so the graphics are very impressive for its time... but of course dated now. You can pick it up now for less than a tenner (UK£10.00)
It seems cr*p at first but when you get into it and get the good weapons and enemies you're off!!!

It is not a patch on blade but what is ????

Trust me! give it a go keep on with it and you'll get into it!

justin_paplus
Whelp

Post by justin_paplus »

Look after Nightfall dragon ! from digital legends (the ex rebelact team :)
The combat system should be similar to blade !

Sapphidia
Hatchling

Post by Sapphidia »

I second the Drakan recommendation. Stunning game, and my own personal Favourite Game Of All Time Before I Bought Severance :D

Morrowind is pretty damned good too, although far more RPG-ish and less combat focussed. Still, by configuring a character for 100% combat you can make a BoD-ish game out of it.

Can't speak for Rune or Enclave myself, but thanks to this thread I may well be checking these out :)

Sapphy.

marcusparcus
Hatchling

Post by marcusparcus »

Don't know why I didn't do this before but I got round to downloading the Drakan demo this evening having seen Saphy's post. I'd seen people rave about it before but not taken much notice.

Glad I have this time. It's a great game! Wonderful graphics. Is it still possible to get hold of it anywhere?

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

http://www.amazon.com is one place...

Or more accurately

(nevermind)... the URL is too long.. Just type Drakan in the search box.

marcusparcus
Hatchling

Post by marcusparcus »

Already tried them!! They don't do the pc version anymore [:(]

Eddie
Whelp

Post by Eddie »

There is a place that sells copies quite cheaply Marcus, The name Evergreen springs to mind for some reason, email Ade, he might know, I got mine on EBAY for £8.

caravel
Whelp

Post by caravel »

Marcus you no some people download games such as Draken perhaps on L***Wire or K***A...
This of course robs the game developers of their royalties and is wrong!

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

I cam back to this topic, 'cause I'm still runinng after a severance-like...
I was loocking on a couple of video games web sites, and I heared about Blood Rayne. dose some one know this game? Is it a BOD like? Is it even good?