New Drakan Game?

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
Pesci
Hatchling

New Drakan Game?

Post by Pesci »

Hey everybody!
I love playing Drakan since a long time! I played "Order of the flame" and "The anicients gates". But what I want to know is, if anybody know if a further game will coming, anytime[?]

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

No, unfortunatley not. Surreal had plans for a possible 3rd game but it was only a 'maybe' which would have been considered after they had released a few other non related games first. Even then, the decision to go ahead or not would be up to its publisher, Sony Computer Entertainment.
Surreal, however has been bought by Midway games to work on games exclusivley for them so that means they definitley won't be making another Drakan. The Drakan series is owned by Sony as they bought Psygnosis inheriting all of their trademarks of which Drakan was one of them.

So, for a 3rd game to happen, Sony would have to get another developer to make the 3rd game which is unlikley going by the poor sales of The Ancient's Gates. The other way is for Midway to buy the rights back from Sony and have Surreal make it which is equally unlikley. Shame really, if TAG had done very well and sold as well as lets say, Tomb Raider, <ahem> they might have made a sequel or two.
It all boils down to money and sales figures unfortunatley.

Weclome to the forums BTW!

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Hi, Pesci! Have you played the Player Created Levels for 'Order of the Flame'? If you still crave Drakan, there are some very good levels made by fans available on this site! If you have time, download a few of the more highly recommended ones and enjoy a few smaller chapters. Next best thing to another game. Welcome!

Pesci
Hatchling

Post by Pesci »

hey, thanks! maybe i`ll download these levels!
but by "the ancients gates" the ending look like it will be a third game, becuase it says "...but there are new enemies" or a bit different, i don't remember exactly.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

In my opinion the ending of TAG was concluded but yet left open for a possible sequel should one be made. At least it didn't leave you wondering like Order of the Flame's ending - that sucked.
****SPOILER ALERT***

It said something like 'And as the last gate was opened, the gateway in Surdana burst into life and the spirit of Mala Shae hung over the city. From all around Drakan, the dragons awoke and broke free from the confines of their lairs flocking to Surdana by the hundreds. In the few weeks that followed, the Desert Lords were totally defeated and their city of Stratos toppled from the sky. The beastial races of Grull and Wartocks were driven back to their homelands and finally the City of Surdana could enjoy peace. But yet it was still not over; lesser evils still lurked in the world and the Order was faced with the massive task of rebuilding civilization - a task that would take many years.'

There was something else mentioned but I can't remember. The jist of it is that Rynn and Arokh brought the Order back and destroyed the main evil of the world. Going by their success with the Desert Lords, the lesser evils would be no problem, so they did 'win' and the story was concluded. However, it was worded in such a way that the story could pick up again some years after the events of TAG if a sequel was to be made.

Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

It says in the end "But the battle is far from over." I agree though that the end of D:TAG is a conclusion of the story.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, it is far from over; its just the beginning of a new civilization and there are still many of the Order's enemies in the world.
Seem as there will be no sequel, what would be cool is having a story set about 20 years after the game detailing what the New Order has done so far and what happened to our favorite characters.

Slaystress323
Hatchling

Post by Slaystress323 »

yah someone should write a story like that; "the order reborn" was awesome