Khossa Vole (spoilers)

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
buckmana
Dragon

Khossa Vole (spoilers)

Post by buckmana »

I'm replaying TAG for the second time.

And I just realized something.

The "Inquisitor" Rynn defeats in the passage behind the waterfall is Khossa Vole.

What was he doing asking questions about people from the Dark Wars? The answer always given is that the people he's asking about are long dead, but he says this is lies.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

They're both Liches. (Lich is pronounced like 'witch')
There were some in the first game, OOTF. They may have been the same, but I think it's just like Wartoks or Grull. There are many Liches, not <i>so</i> many, but a few.
Do you remember how tough they could be in Order of the Flame?

The Flesh Mage is like a Lich wearing lady skins, yes?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I think it is supposed to be someone else as you can do the inquisitor quest after killing Khossa Vole. I assume he is a spirit of one of Navaros's mages who was awakened along with the other undead creatures that are around. I put this into the Drakan novel and had it so it was Gothraul who was behind all the undead awakenings; I think this was mentioned in the game but I can't really remember. I can't play the game anymore as it won't work on my PS3.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I'd forgotten about those guys.

Object recycling at it's finest.

I thought the Inquisitor was Khossa because Jade mentions that Dehrimon defeated him once, but he can only really be defeated by killing his real body.

My theory about the Flesh Mage is that he was a talented and powerful human sorcerer (and not evil, apparently, from what he says to Rynn after he "dies"), before Jassad made him insane (I assume this is so that Yutasji would work for the Desert Lords)).

And Outlaw Wyvern, now that I've found Toadfist's Helm, I finally understand your signature.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by buckmana</i>

And Outlaw Wyvern, now that I've found Toadfist's Helm, I finally understand your signature.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>!</b>

Also...
The Inquisitor is supposed to be a holdout from the Dark Wars. Didn't know they'd ended.

That was good speculation about his body not being killed, even if it wasn't on target.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arokhs Twin</i>

it was Gothraul who was behind all the undead awakenings; I think this was mentioned in the game but I can't really remember.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, the Bone-Daddy in the Monastery served Gothraul.
Interesting point: if you left all Bone Dragons and Skeletons in the Valley of the Fallen alive, they'd all die when you defeat Gothraul.
I don't think you'd just get a big block of experience for that... I'm pretty sure it'd be a waste, but they fall dead when he's gone.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I generally have Arokh go around "cleaning up" all my enemies so it's easier for me to explore the place without worrying about being attacked every five seconds.

So I wouldn't have noticed that about the skeleton armies.

Gothraul is an enemy I truly hate. I used 2 invulnerability potions in conjunction with time slow and barely defeated him. And the next time I see him, I'm not going to use any (because I'm saving them for Arokh to use when he goes to fight the Pain Golem).

Any tips you have about dispatching Gothraul without actually going near him would be greatly appreciated.

What I meant about the signature comment is that I know what it means. When Breck (Surdana's armorer) is presented with Toadfist's Helm, that's his exclamation. I missed Toadfist the first time I played this game (didn't see the lift).

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Waxing Gothraul:
There are a lot of ways. You know that when you hold the L2 button, you strafe when you move. It also lets you perform back/side/forward rolls and flips. These moves are your melee game's best friend. Stick and move!

There are little things you can do to pick him off from a distance, like you asked, tho. As soon as you come out of the cave into Gothraul's compound, look to your right and you'll see the pedestal for putting one of the Strange/Odd/Curious stones into. That's only said so I can establish that you go the other way. Take a left instead, and go over to the extreme edge of the battlefield, past the edge of the stone fence. You will find that there is a shallow hill you can jump over and get up on the mountain behind the cave entrance. if you go further back, you'll find a very welcome surprise.

Anyway, now that you know that's there, you can go stand in front of Gothraul to initiate battle, then flee to the relative safety of the hill. Pick off the Skelly Archers first, because they'll give you grief. Then just target Big G and blast away until he's dead.
Another (less reliable) way is to backflip up onto his throne. Depending on where he chooses to stand when he attacks, you may be out of harm's reach and still be able to deal damage.
There are lots of ways. If you look around, you can be creative with your resources.
For the sake of efficient leveling up, I'd recommend killing all skeletons before Gothraul.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Thanks for the tips.

I've only got low level fire blasts at the moment.

Hopefully, before I see Gothraul, I will have more magic attacks.

I'm currently at level 3 magic.

If my trip to the Andrellian Isles gives me another skill point, I can upgrade to level 4 magic, which will allow me to acquire Rejuvenate and Impale.

Both these spells make battles easier, although I did not have them the last time I met Gothraul.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

This is good to know about a Magic save: as you apply points to Magic, your Mana regenerates faster. When you're at higher levels it comes back pretty quickly.
Man, o' man, some of those higher level spells are fun! It's great to see how each (offensive) spell changes as it levels up.
If you'd like to fight Gothraul before the Andrellians I can probably help with that.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

The one thing I didn't understand is why there's a magic spell missing.

Each of Arokh's elemental powers has a similar spell for Rynn.

But his sonic power has no matching spell.

I've just finished Andrellian Isles. But I ended with only 70% experience, 30% short of the level up I was hoping for. Looks like I'll have to smash more bad guys before I go back to Jade. I hope she still has that free spell offer.

I didn't know the spell changes with higher power levels. Can't wait to see it! [:D]

The first time around, I didn't level up any of my spells.

Can you believe I went to Stratos with $14000 in the bank? I'm doing better than that now, at this point, I have $18000.

Is this Mournbringer (the one you can buy after finding all 4 elemental Order blades) the same as the one in Order Of The Flame? Is it indestructible? And can you get the indestructible Order Armor before you go to Stratos?

I get the fancy purple armor and there's only two enemies left to fight after that point (Jassad and the Pain Golem).

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

I honestly had that same thought yesterday. I was thinking about the DragonStrike bow and thinking of how the various elemental effects are displayed in weapons and spells and it occurred to me that an equivalent to Sonic was missing from the magic roster. Great minds!!!
DragonStrike bow has Sonic damage, though... so if you do an Archery save, you can see it first hand.

Mournbringer is not indestructible. It has 500 hits on it. You will appreciate it for the awesome weapon that it is when you get it. It hisses as you swing it! It's solid black with flashing red runic symbols on the blade.

As for the Armor of the Order, you can buy it from Brekk (the Armorer in Surdana) as soon as you open the Eye Gate in the Valley of the Fallen. It's indestructible. You can also purchase the Shield of the Order. It's not indestructible. If you've chosen Archery, there's an excellent surprise in the Bow of the Order, also available from Brekk at the same time.
If you can't afford the Armor of the Order before Stratos, you can fly directly to the site in Stratos that houses the Pain Golem and nab the Armor, Shield, and Bow of the Order as soon as you get there.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Up until recently, I was focussing on building up skills equally.

When I realized I was close to level 4 magic, I decided that was my next goal.

After that, I'll try to equalize them all again.

The last time I played this, I ended up carting around weapons I couldn't use, because my skills never got high enough.

The two I remember are Tempest and DragonStrike bow.

Because I will need space later (for the 4 items needed to break the barrier spell), I'm not bothering to cart around things I can't use.

No indestructible sword to go with the armor! [:(!] [V] I miss the Runeblade! [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

I guess I'll be using up my elemental blades and the Mournbringer (should I save that one for Jassad?).

I also have the Bitter Touch and the Flamestrike, but I'm not sure how useful those will be. I haven't used them yet, because I'm saving them too. I'll probably get to a point where I run out of room. 4 elemental blades, three special blades (Clineschmidt blade plus the first two), a suit of armor, health potions, invisibility potions, invulnerabilty potions, Rynn's dagger.

I miss the old system, where if Rynn was using/wearing something, it <i>wasn't</i> in the inventory. I had the WarDragon armor and the Runeblade as extra items which didn't fit in inventory.

nubby
Whelp

Post by nubby »

This game is almost too easy when you have the Clone spell, it's almost like having a permanent invisibility potion.

Why didn't they have a hot slot health potion for Arokh in battle while in flight, having to run away (if you survive) to open inventory to replentish health sucked.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

At the very least, that was taken care of (sort-of) in the game after the defeat of Shaza and Tora when you get the Dark breath attack. The main (square button or R1) Dark attack is vampiric, so you can theoretically fight yourself healthy with Arokh.
Dark Breath is uber-useful in Stratos, as is the primary Ice attack. That's because they're not only both HOMING beams, but the ice streams will slow and eventually immobilize a creature so that it can be shattered. That goes for aerial foes, too.
Arokh can be flown in a spiral pattern while backing away for evasive maneuvers if you need to flee and heal, and if speed is of the essence, I'd recommend a crest/trough mode of flight where you swoop down and up in big arcs. That's a gravity assist! You can get some serious distance between yourself and an aggressor like that.

Magic (in general) makes the game a bit too easy, but it's nice to have the option.