Problems to join a server

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yes, you can use your own PC as a server and play on it as well as others that want to join. I have two machines; one is a server which also hosts the level downloads and the other is my main machine. I can play on the local server over the network with other players on the internet.

I have found a problem with the config file. On my systems setting the master server as instructed causes the server to crash after a few minutes due to one of the master servers being disconnected. The first one needs to be deleted and the line changed from:-

set MasterServerList "cc18968-a.groni1.gr.nl.home.com:27900,master.gamespy.com:27900"

to:-

set MasterServerList "master.gamespy.com:27900"

I will modify the instructions on the main web site later today.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I started this thread at an Australian game server site:

http://forums.gamespace.net.au/showthread.php?p=167267

If enough of us (Drakan fans) post there, they'll put one up.

Master-Moe
Dragon

Post by Master-Moe »

buckmana give him this website link, and also this one: http://planetdrakan.net Maybe now he will start realizing that there IS a community.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

There are usually at least 3 servers online (viewed from within Gamespy Arcade) at any one time but never anyone playing on them when I look. One of them is running 445SP1 which is a player made patch which if installed will only allow you to play on that particular server. The official 445 patch will allow you to play on any server that hasn't been modified as long as you have the same levels the server is running.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Master-Moe</i>

buckmana give him this website link, and also this one: http://planetdrakan.net Maybe now he will start realizing that there IS a community.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've done that. But I think they need to hear from other people besides me.

Just add your name to the thread and say you support a Drakan server.

Master-Moe
Dragon

Post by Master-Moe »

I see these servers everyday too, but they are all empty, and the GameSpy Drakan room is also empty.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

But they are talking "Cost Effectiveness" for running one of there servers. As anyone can see, it would run 24/7 and have no one in it, not practical. Then the next problem is to get it to run stable, on one of the newer machines. Dont know if thats possible! On my system it crashes after 15 hrs, or so. Only time it did run stable was on a win98 system, or 2000.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yes, that is the reason why I don't run my server 24/7. I only ever get one or two players a day and nobody ever downloads levels from it. In fact there are more hacking attempts and web bots that show up in the server logs than genuine access attempts. I will usually only run it at the weekends when it feels like working as its a bit flaky.

Servers use electricity, are time consuming to administer with updates, security patches etc and consume bandwidth even when no-one is playing on them therefore cost money to run.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

hmm - i enough happy with winnt4svr with sp6 and some post-sp6 fixes - it runs many years (from 2001 or 2002 i think) without crashes from itself or software bugs... the only way to crash it is my own attempts to add more services :) ...

the most resources-consuming was hosting it on fast inet node ... latest years of spb-2 running it costs me about 35 usd per month...

now i finally run it at my city flat with fast enough inet connection and possibly only pay per its power... unfortrunately connection is less stable now - it routes via D-Link DI 604 cheap hardware router that hangs sometimes about once per week or even faster :| ...