Drakan soundtrack titles?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Shelim
Dragon

Drakan soundtrack titles?

Post by Shelim »

I bought my Drakan copy on Allegro, polish vortal similiar to eBay. It was CD-disc alone, no box, no manual, etc. And I always wonder how the songs on CD are called. What are they names? You know, when I searched Youtube, some of them were signed as "The Dark Union", or "The Order of the Flame", but couldn't find list for all.
So, if anybody knows how all tracks are named, please put here the titles :)

Thanks in advance

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

They are on my home server, names and everything at http://www.adrian-smith31.co.uk/Drakan

The server can be a bit slow to respond at times so keep trying - it does work. Ignore the Cherokee web server rubbish; I can't get rid of that... There are a few directories of Drakan stuff including music from both games.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Much thanks, Arokhs Twin!

rynn21
Hatchling

Post by rynn21 »

Hello. Thank you so much for uploading all of the drakan 1 and 2 game music! How did you manage to obtain the second game's music?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It was extracted from the PS2 game DVD using Psound and then I encoded it into MP3 format. The titlsng.mp3 you emailed me about; it probably was the intro song for the failed Drakan Online game but I can't remember. I removed it anyway.

Have a look here http://www.planetdrakan.com/features/dotqfaq.shtml if you are curious about DO:TQ as it is the only info I can find on it now. Some links on the page are dead but the screenshots and interview works.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

There is plenty of information about DO:TQ... on russian webpages. So, without cyrilic reading skills, you are out of luck ;-)
And titlsng.mp3, I found it on drakan.ru; I believe it is opening song of the The Flight of Dragons series. YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dflp5IcpkE&rel=1 (song begins at 1:25)

rynn21
Hatchling

Post by rynn21 »

Oh thank you for the info. : ) It is much appreciated.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

I found Barry Leitch website (the guy who composed soundtrack for Drakan). On his webpage there are full, mp3 version of 2 tracks which were meant to be used for Drakan 2, but saddly never were.
http://www.barryleitch.com/Music.html

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

Thanks for the link, Shelim, fantastic stuff!
Concerning TQ, I haven't seen loads of information on it in Russian, but there're some screenshots and music tracks from it at Drakon Riders ftp, which are not to be missed - files.drakan.ru/pub =)

NerdIII
Hatchling

Post by NerdIII »

Hey thank you for providing the soundtrack. I realized that not every track is on the Audio-CD portion of the game and started extracting the Music.rrc file just to end up with some DirectMusic segment files that I couldn't get to playback with their proper instrument samples.

So how did you get the music into MP3 format?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I used psound for TAG but I can't honestly remember how I did it in OOTF. I think I used a creative labs sound recorder app that came with my old sound card whilst playing the game and edited the resulting .wav file then converted to MP3. I remember doing this but I also remember getting crappy results that way. Don't know if I used this as the final file or downloaded elsewhere. The ones that are on the CD were converted directly.

NerdIII
Hatchling

Post by NerdIII »

So it is all a mystery. I didn't expect it any other way on this forum, haha. My sientific view on the topic is that you downloaded the files somewhere, because some music cannot be retrieved cleanly in the game (except you created a new map for the music).
Still some of the ingame music is recorded too loud and sound well.

If I had a wavetable MIDI soundcard I would have extracted the music segments and the instrument definitions from the music.rrc with Game File Extractor then imported them into DirectMusic Creator (a tool from Microsoft for DirectX) and rendered it to .wav from there. But it seems to need hardware wavetable support to use the instrument definitions (DLS) at all.

Happy holidays to everyone who likes the soundtrack :)
Marco

NerdIII
Hatchling

Post by NerdIII »

ahh i'm drunk. I meant to say 'doesn't sound well'. Damn Weihnachtsmarkt. [:D] Glow-wine everywhere.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

I think Drakan actually works on waveforms level rather than on generic midi; It just sound too good to being only midi files :)

NerdIII
Hatchling

Post by NerdIII »

If you want to know the truth [8D]:
It uses DirectMusic, which uses waveform samples. I found the authoring tools in the old DirectX SDK, but playback seems impossible without a hardware wavetable soundcard. (I tried two emulators to no avail.)
Except for the lack of players DirectMusic was a good choice back then:
- integrates with DirectSound
- 'MIDI'/tracker music is small
- can define loops for infinite playback
- switches sound tracks at predefined positions; no hard cuts; the player walked into a new area, but the old sound track continues until a silent part or a bridge is reached
By the way: Btrayal at Krondor (1993) already made use of wavetable soundcards by replacing some instruments through sample uploads. In theory it could have sounded just like Drakan with only MIDI under MS-DOS. But in practce the samples were too low quality back then. (I had a wavetable MIDI card then.)

I wish someone would rerecord the tracks outside of the game, because especially the GUI track is too loud and thus noisy#8230;