Radeon HD3xxx - too slow

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Drakon Rider
Dragon

Radeon HD3xxx - too slow

Post by Drakon Rider »

i try to update video card and try to move from Radeon X600Pro to Radeon HD3850... after drivers setup i found i get only about 10..40 fps in Drakan:OOTF :( ... no settings change or Catalist drivers swapping helps in a several hours... later i visit another person with HD3600 card and he tries Drakan too - same problem...

looks like a bug in HD3xxx hardware or in Catalist drivers... so i change to NVIDIA 9600GT - now it is all ok running with about 100+ fps in 1920x1200 with most aa and af settings on...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I have used Nvidia cards for the past few years and as a matter of interest I can only manage around 50fps max on a 7600GT with a P4 3.4Ghz CPU. Can't suggest anything other than buggy drivers. Strange why I can't get 100fps on my card though...

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

really strange - as i remember i got 120 fps (in Drakan.exe +fpstest tesmode) after upgrade to iP4 630 (3GHz old HT core - no any chance to overclock) and cheap enough Radeon 128 bit X600Pro card... ofcourse without AA on and in about 1152x864 resolution...

now i have overclocked cheap Pentium Dual Core E2180 (from 2 to 3 GHz) - and the Drakan runs fine with much higher than 100 fps (ofourse after moving to NVIDIA card i get that crash in entering New Game before difficulty level selection but it do not bugs me alot)...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I need to get a new system as mine is 4 years old now; it took me ages to find an AGP 7600GT. Probably something for the new year...
As for the crash, there is a fix for the crash at game start up. It works on my system but I haven't heard if it has been successful on others.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

also read at some forums about the same low-fps bug with ATI HD series cards... i think you can add it in the faq if exist...

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

I gave up on Radeon cards after that 9550se I had.. All the nvidia cards I have seem to work well

bodfan
Dragon

Post by bodfan »

I played Drakan months ago but since it is still in my computer and finding this topic interesting, I inserted the CD and looked at the fps. Before I show you the number, I must tell you that I am not joking or trying to show off and I am also surprised at the number. It shows 48xx fps. The first two digits are constant, the last two digits are variable.
I looked at the fps at two different places in the first chapter.

Here are the specs:

AMD phenom 4X HD 955, 3.2 ghz
8 gig RAM
radeon HD 4870 X2 1 gig each.
hard disk 10,000rpm.
windows XP pro 64-bit.

BTW, I got around 60-80 fps with Gothic 3, between 80-120 with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., 60 fps with Oblivion, 75 with Vampire-bloodlines and 500-700 with Far Cry.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

Whrr.. that's odd.. I run a Radeon HD 3450 on my windows xp computer, it plays it around 100fps

The only problem is with my computers, for some really quite annoying reason I can't actually run the game above 1024x786 or it just crashes to desktop, which is quite annoying.
But eh i'm not complaining, I can actually play multiplayer flawlessly :D

My newer computer runs a Radeon HD 5700/5750 with no slowdown

.. also I see above, I posed that I gave up on radeon cards.. oops XD well the HD series seem to work for me now ^^;