Back to Drakan, again :-)

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

So true!

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

>the IP is in the hands of Sony at this point :)

hope they will die soon...

btw - after near 10 years with Drakan i found only Duncan's battle axe near Ruined Village

and remember Vykruta's axe at the Islands... where other developer's weapons hided ?

Sageous
Hatchling

Post by Sageous »

It's been so long. I don't remember where we put all the items. There should be some items of Heron in there somewhere though.

If you're into discovering all the spots where developers put their 'stamp' or 'easter egg' into the game...then I have to say...as far as I know the most significant one has never been revealed or noticed before. It's actually a bit eccentric, too.

You know the map function in Drakan...the torn parchment texture in the earlier levels. It has blood on it, right? Well, the blood is the real blood of a Drakan game developer. Self inflicted (and bled onto a scanner) for the purpose of that map texture. It's not my blood, but I can't say whose it is because he requested it not be known.

DarthVadr
Whelp

Post by DarthVadr »

Well ... you can just open the singleplayer maps in the editoring tool to find out - but i know, that's boring [:p]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sageous</i>

You know the map function in Drakan...the torn parchment texture in the earlier levels. It has blood on it, right? Well, the blood is the real blood of a Drakan game developer. Self inflicted (and bled onto a scanner) for the purpose of that map texture. It's not my blood, but I can't say whose it is because he requested it not be known.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Doesn't sound to be a healthy place, at Psygnosis [:D]

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

i think that was at Surreal studio... Psygnosis was only publisher...

>You know the map function in Drakan...the torn parchment texture in the earlier levels. It has blood on it, right? Well, the blood is the real blood of a Drakan game developer.

valuable info for fans :) ... may someone will live to 20 years of Drakan:OOTF and found more :) ...

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sageous</i>

Don't get the wrong idea...I'm just curious - how many developers (that can make games) are in the drakan community?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Me, in example. For now I have only few demos finished (also in 3D, using C++, C# and XNA), but I own Terathon's C4 engine license and have more than 4 years experience in object programming (resulting in Polish-languaged MMO based on LAMP, currently in Beta status). I tried to contact Surreal and asked if they would be so kind to give me Drakan 1 Source Code to fix few things up and adding some features (of course after signing Non-Disclouse Agreement), but they didn't respond (and I tried multiply times, including sending snail-mail)

Sageous
Hatchling

Post by Sageous »

Interesting, Shelim. I had not heard of C4 engine, but it looks interesting. I've always had my eye out for an engine that can do Drakan style terrain (arches, caves, etc) without reliance on models...this is the first one I've seen. How is the terrain editor?

Have a linky for your game?

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Based on importing heighmap and then visual sculpturing in full 3D - and is very nice and practical :) The only downside is terrain size, as terrain levels tend to have several megabytes

And to my games:
http://www.golden-dragon.pl <- polish version only. MMO based on LAMP which I mentioned. 4700 players!

http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2787 <- 7-day demo (to be honest, 5-day only :) ). Today, I would make it much more better. Transparency on Arokh's wings, other collision algorythms (is just based on sq distance) and different textures for GUI. And, to be honest, I wrote this just as learning experiment for C4 architecture.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/82366/5x.rar <- never finished first attempt at 4x game (5th x is "eXperience"), based on WindowsForms (C#), I'm proud of terrain generation alogrythms (perlin noise, calculating rainfall, temperatures, biome, etc.); As you can see, unfinished game is based on idea borrowed from russian "General" game and well-known Dwarf Fortress. There is bug, which sometimes (50% chance) crash when you promote/demote your men.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/82366/namegen.zip <- Not a game, but sometimes useful. Name generation program. More advanced than usual algorithm, but bringing very good results (more than 70% names are immediately ready to use). Requires to input list of the seed names (there is one such list in zip: Polish female names). Written in C++

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Oh hi everyone... I'm still alive. Nice to see old faces.