Crashing and can't install patch

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Liira
Hatchling

Crashing and can't install patch

Post by Liira »

Dunno if anyone still has interest in this game, but I've found it in a pile of old computer games and realized just how much I enjoyed it and wanted to play it again, so I installed it, installed without a hitch.

I went to play it, it crashed when I clicked new game, selected difficulty. I downloaded the 445 etc patches and attempted to install them, but it kept saying my version of Drakan is wrong. I got the game literally when it was first released. Could my version be too old? It did run in developer mode, but when I went to choose a level it would tell me to insert the CD, which is still in my CD drive and has been for about 3 hours now.

I wanna play one of my favorite old childhood games. Anyone with some help?

My computer is a customized gaming computer with a ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB dedicated video card, so its not like it doesn't meet the requirements...

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

Hi you are getting the insert CD prompt even when your CD is in the drive because the game is not patched to version 445. The game came out before Windows XP was released and it will only run on Windows 95/98/ME/Win2k SP1 in its original state.

The usual cause for the patch not to install is the wrong language or you have an OEM copy of the game. Try installing the 442 patch first. If you are still stuck tell us what operating system you are using and your game version i.e 365/475, 365/445 etc.

Mady
Whelp

Post by Mady »

Hello, I got the same problem, when i tried to install drakan on my Windows 7 computer and trying to get the 455++ patch working it's says " error ".

Liira
Hatchling

Post by Liira »

I dont know what OEM means. I tried all those solutions, and it works fine in multiplayer, but I want to play the full game, not multiplayer. This was not a ripped copy or anything. I got it when it first came out at the store. I still have to CD jewel case and manual for it.

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

That's odd, I remember someone else having the same problem a while back and they never found a solution. What are the first three digits of your game build version i.e 365/445?

Just checked mine (Europe, English) which works on Windows 7 64 bit and its build 375/445. I think there is a really old version of the game with an odd first three digits of build number but I can't confirm this. The patches do not seem to work on these old versions. Some surreal staff used to visit these forums a while back but I don't know if they do now.

Anyone else got any ideas?

PS OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer - as far as games are concerned they are typically ones bundled with graphics cards which in some cases are not the same as the retail ones.

Liira
Hatchling

Post by Liira »

How can I check the build version?

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

On the main menu screen the build version will be shown in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Liira
Hatchling

Post by Liira »

Somehow, I got it to magically work this time. Apparently I had to install a patch 444 before I did 445 or something. Well, now I'm so excited! I get to play one of my favorite teen years games. I even got to watch the intro video with Delon being taken. It took me back years! I felt 17 again! I literally bought the game when it was first released, and I played it through so many times! I can't wait to get into it again. Once I play through normally, its cheat mode time!

Thanks for the tips on the patches. I never would've figured it out.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Congrats!
Tear it up!!!

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

Glad to hear you got it working. Yes, installing earlier patches first seems to have done the trick.

Liira
Hatchling

Post by Liira »

I'm tearin it up indeed. I love Mourn Bringer. I think that is the best weapon in the game. I forgot how much awesome this game contained.

alexander

Re: Crashing and can't install patch

Post by alexander »

i doubt anyone is going to read this but i tried that on mine and it didn't work on my game. and yes my game is a English copy of the game.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

We do read the forums every day or two so we can help - can you tell us what your system specs are and what the current build of your game is?
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Post by guest »

Try loading a save game and activate the save game and it will work. I dont have patch installed and I play on a 64 bit version aspire. remember to save often then load up your last save game and yeha it will work.guest