Should the Drakan novel be re-written?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Should the Drakan novel be re-written?

Post by Arokhs Twin »

A while ago I posted on the news page this post http://www.arokhslair.net/wp/general/we-are-still-here/ which talks about the Drakan novel and what I think of it.

Basically it all boils down to the story being written by at least 6 people each with their own ideas. Consequently there is a noticable change in the writing style where somebody else took over. I edited the text submitted by others for spelling and grammar only not it's contents, some of which I would not totally agree with.

There is one main thing that has been bugging me; the story has always intended to be a adult orientated book but I felt the Rynn & Arokh relationship went too far especially when it turned into love between the two. For anyone who has read it they will know what I mean. The bits that worry me are when the succubi queen tries to seduce Arokh, the bit at the beginning of the TAG part where Rynn returns to her village and finally the part where Rynn is bathing Arokh. I can't remember who wrote those parts but they were way more graphic especially one part when submitted and I had to edit them to make it less of a bestiality story and more, well less fantasy.

I still don't know if the Rynn / Arokh thing is still too excessive or not and if it should be changed. At the time I didn't want to offend the people helping out but now I think they will have forgotten about it. I came across some reviews of the story online and this was a debate where it seemed 50/50 if it was acceptable or not.

The other thing is the story was never really finished. The other contributors stopped contributing leaving me to do it alone. I could not be bothered writing the events of Stratos on my own so I scrapped some of what was written and ended the story at the point where Rynn and Arokh journey up to Stratos. I wrote a brief epilogue explaining what happened after The Ancient's Gates ended and what happened in the few years afterwards.

Most Drakan fans will have already read this so is there any point in a major edit / re-write? Should I finish the story properly?
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Dragonlord
Hatchling

Re: Should the Drakan novel be re-written?

Post by Dragonlord »

Arokhs Twin wrote:A while ago I posted on the news page this post http://www.arokhslair.net/wp/general/we-are-still-here/ which talks about the Drakan novel and what I think of it.

Basically it all boils down to the story being written by at least 6 people each with their own ideas. Consequently there is a noticable change in the writing style where somebody else took over. I edited the text submitted by others for spelling and grammar only not it's contents, some of which I would not totally agree with.
Greetings. Yes, I think I remember noticing, back in 2012, the change in the writing style from some chapters to others, but I thought that it was part of the charm of the story, since it could show without problems it was a collaboration effort.
I intend to re-read the whole story again, which I already started last night, on my tablet. I will put my thoughts on "paper" as to whether I have questions or doubts about any specific part, and then I will communicate it to you.
Arokhs Twin wrote:There is one main thing that has been bugging me; the story has always intended to be a adult orientated book but I felt the Rynn & Arokh relationship went too far especially when it turned into love between the two. For anyone who has read it they will know what I mean. The bits that worry me are when the succubi queen tries to seduce Arokh, the bit at the beginning of the TAG part where Rynn returns to her village and finally the part where Rynn is bathing Arokh. I can't remember who wrote those parts but they were way more graphic especially one part when submitted and I had to edit them to make it less of a bestiality story and more, well less fantasy.
This is an interesting topic, and perhaps the one that most caught my attention, yes. And it's not difficult to see why... so let's think about it a little:

I can't remember if any of the collaborators ever detailed about Rynn's life in Her Village, (the one raided by Orcs and Wartoks in the very beginning of the story) and about Her private life, as in love interests, and whatnot. But it seemed to me, that Rynn was somewhat of a loner except for the presence of Her Brother, since they both lost their parents when She was 12. Atimmar was possibly the only other person She might have identified with, and She became something like a Guardian to Her younger Brother, and that's it. At least, I can't remember any reference of Her past life that can contradict this, but I will read the whole thing again, and I will notice if there is.

So then, all of a sudden, we have Rynn partnering with Arokh. A Dragon, but also a former Hero of the old Wars. For someone that lost everyone important in Her life, like Rynn, that had to count for something; and if we take into account that Arokh is not a speechless creature like a Cat or a Dog and, more than that, that He can Think and Feel, then there's some room for Rynn to at least identify with Him and His protective behavior. More than that, the growing concern that the Dragon started to show, each time Rynn went on some cave errand and got hurt or severely injured, was shared by Arokh through their bond; and that is not something to take lightly.

I think all the stress and pressure put on the shoulders of someone so "unprepared" as Rynn had to have it's consequences, namely Her untimely attraction for the Dragon. Which places us with an interesting question: Can the whole situation be considered Bestiality in the common sense? After all, this is not like someone caught a goat to have it's way with it without the consent of the poor animal. We are talking about free choice here. We are talking about two souls that met, bonded, had their share of grief and successes, and now take things a little further...

Which calls for a parentesis here: Consider Transgender people, for instance. Those are people that are born in the "wrong" body. They may be Straight, Gay, or even Bisexual, but their main issue is what they see and feel when it comes the time of looking at the mirror. And they see themselves living in a Shell that doesn't match their inner feelings and sense of belonging. Their sexuality actually takes a backseat on their dilemmas. Their concerns actually center on Gender. And Gender is a Social Construct, while Sex (our genital organs) are a Nature construct. So that means that the "Shell" doesn't always match the "interior".

Which brings us again, to Rynn and Arokh's situation. They are both somewhat twin souls, having lost the ones they cared for, and are now hell-bent on a mission that takes a great tool on both of them. And they are both conscious beings. None of them are "soulless" animals. They start to identify with each other, and their attraction is not an unlikely thing at all.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean everybody in such a Fantastic situation would actually have the wits, or will, to cross the species boundaries and reach the level of sexual arousing. But in Rynn and Arokh's case, the situation was particular enough for it to happen...
I guess there never was really any sexual intercourse in the common sense between them both, as in their anatomical parts would be unsuitable for each other, but that doesn't mean they can't have their own ways of sexually satisfying each other. Although it seems Rynn is more concerned on pleasing Arokh than the other way around, which is not unlikely either, since Arokh is (centuries?) old, while Rynn is much younger and might not had the time to develop Her own Sexual drive yet... specially when we take into account She might always have been "alone" in Her village.
Arokhs Twin wrote:I still don't know if the Rynn / Arokh thing is still too excessive or not and if it should be changed. At the time I didn't want to offend the people helping out but now I think they will have forgotten about it. I came across some reviews of the story online and this was a debate where it seemed 50/50 if it was acceptable or not.
Yes, I can see how the whole situation can be polemic. But let's face it: It happened and someone thought about it, and made the story so much interesting because of it. After all, when something gets people to talk and divide opinions, it means some new, fresh ground is being walked upon. And besides, who says we can't take advantage of the situation to actually have someone in Surdana, or some place else to actually question Rynn about it? After all, if I well remember, both General Dehrimon and Lady Mishalla testified on Arokh and Rynn's "bath scene", and there's the chance that some talk about it might have ensued. Questions about decency or whatnot could arise, and then, someone would come to put some water on the issue, either the Sorceress or that weird guy in the Tower, stating that "Dragons have the souls of Men", or something like that, and it would actually be a breakthrough in the series.

More than that, let's not forget that Vykruta, (I guess that was His name) the Bard on Surdana's Tavern seemed to have a little crush on Rynn. And that's also something that can be explored further, as well as that other guy in the Outpost, that wanted to ask Rynn out for some traditional party on the Nordlands.. . something about the "Yack tongue Festival", or something... those are all situations that can be brought, in order to either make Rynn loose Her virginity, (or not) and come to terms with Arokh on Her specific needs and on how they both settle and agree on their relationship's terms.
It can work as a way to establish a more pragmatic relationship between them, and let's not forget about those girls on Stratos, that seemed so behave so sweetly towards Rynn, and that might find Her in a weakened state after so many combats between those floating Isles... ;)

You also mentioned that:
Arokhs Twin wrote:The trouble is that the book was written by several people and it shows. I can’t help feeling that the love between Rynn and Arokh went too far (as the original did until I removed it – the author who that put that in there went too far I think…)
You mean, there was an "original version" even before those 3 "close" situations you mentioned it? Have you kept it? Were they just details, or have they took Rynn and Arokh's relation to a completely new level? I would love to read it.
Arokhs Twin wrote: The other thing is the story was never really finished. The other contributors stopped contributing leaving me to do it alone. I could not be bothered writing the events of Stratos on my own so I scrapped some of what was written and ended the story at the point where Rynn and Arokh journey up to Stratos. I wrote a brief epilogue explaining what happened after The Ancient's Gates ended and what happened in the few years afterwards.
Do you still have the remains of whatever parts you scrapped? They could work as a starting point to finish the story properly. And I would love to help. I've been thinking about writing some books on my own for quite some years now, and I even started writing a whole Sci-Fi story on myself, but I always dreamed about being one to help finishing the Drakan Novel. My available time is not much, but I'm up to it! If you're up to the task, then let's finish this. At least so we can say the story went 'till the end of the "TAG" game.
Arokhs Twin wrote:Most Drakan fans will have already read this so is there any point in a major edit / re-write? Should I finish the story properly?
That's a step further. Re-writing the story might also help fleshing it out, and could work as a way for us to better catch the "environment" and feeling of the whole story.
There's many things that can contribute for interesting, dramatic parts, like the Flesh Mage's atonement, for instance. The constant feel of insecurity flying between those Floating Isles, dreading a fall from Rynn to the depths of the Sky. The fact that there's no more Blacksmiths up there to fix their Armor and Weapons, or Mage vendors to replenish their Health/Magic/Invisibility/invulnerability potions, etc...

But for now, I will re-read the whole story, as I said, and I will take notes on whatever parts I feel might need to be changed or better detailed as well as some terms I felt should have been mentioned in Caps.

It's been a long time since you created this topic, and I risk never seeing a response. But I wanted to at least give it a try, and to thank you, and all the other contributors that made me dream in that Summer of 2012 as I listened to Drakan's Soundtracks on my Mp3 player, while on the Beach or at Home at night, as I kept reading the novel with growing interest.

\w/

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Dragonlord wrote:
This is an interesting topic, and perhaps the one that most caught my attention, yes. And it's not difficult to see why... so let's think about it a little:

I can't remember if any of the collaborators ever detailed about Rynn's life in Her Village, (the one raided by Orcs and Wartoks in the very beginning of the story) and about Her private life, as in love interests, and whatnot. But it seemed to me, that Rynn was somewhat of a loner except for the presence of Her Brother, since they both lost their parents when She was 12. Atimmar was possibly the only other person She might have identified with, and She became something like a Guardian to Her younger Brother, and that's it. At least, I can't remember any reference of Her past life that can contradict this, but I will read the whole thing again, and I will notice if there is.

So then, all of a sudden, we have Rynn partnering with Arokh. A Dragon, but also a former Hero of the old Wars. For someone that lost everyone important in Her life, like Rynn, that had to count for something; and if we take into account that Arokh is not a speechless creature like a Cat or a Dog and, more than that, that He can Think and Feel, then there's some room for Rynn to at least identify with Him and His protective behavior. More than that, the growing concern that the Dragon started to show, each time Rynn went on some cave errand and got hurt or severely injured, was shared by Arokh through their bond; and that is not something to take lightly.

I think all the stress and pressure put on the shoulders of someone so "unprepared" as Rynn had to have it's consequences, namely Her untimely attraction for the Dragon. Which places us with an interesting question: Can the whole situation be considered Bestiality in the common sense? After all, this is not like someone caught a goat to have it's way with it without the consent of the poor animal. We are talking about free choice here. We are talking about two souls that met, bonded, had their share of grief and successes, and now take things a little further...
This is exactly what I thought and what I wanted to portray in the story. I'm glad that someone else who read it thought exactly the same thing; that means I have written it in a way that puts across Rynn and Arokh's relationship perfectly. Not much is known about Rynn's history other than her parents were killed in a Wartock raid when Rynn was very young. Atimar who is not a blood relative and was just a family friend became her adopted guardian and was known to Rynn as 'uncle'. Rynn was forced to grow up fast when she was the only one who could look after her brother and she became very protective of him. Loosing him was the most devastating thing to happen in her life since the death of her parents and Atimar then to top it all, her friends in the village - assuming she had any. Since Arokh, even though he is a dragon is capable of thought, emotion and intelligent conversation it seems natural she would have some feelings toward him. It would be very different if he was a 'dumb' animal like a horse.
Dragonlord wrote:Now, of course, that doesn't mean everybody in such a Fantastic situation would actually have the wits, or will, to cross the species boundaries and reach the level of sexual arousing. But in Rynn and Arokh's case, the situation was particular enough for it to happen...
I guess there never was really any sexual intercourse in the common sense between them both, as in their anatomical parts would be unsuitable for each other, but that doesn't mean they can't have their own ways of sexually satisfying each other. Although it seems Rynn is more concerned on pleasing Arokh than the other way around, which is not unlikely either, since Arokh is (centuries?) old, while Rynn is much younger and might not had the time to develop Her own Sexual drive yet... specially when we take into account She might always have been "alone" in Her village.
Exactly, Rynn does have a sexual interest in Arokh but not the other way round. They would never be able to have intercourse and Arokh would not try and attempt it although he would let her satisfy him sexually by other means if he felt it pleased her. He does not really agree with it but went along with it anyway because, hey, why not? He would however of course prefer the sexual company of a dragon though but at the time of the story he was the only one.
Dragonlord wrote:Yes, I can see how the whole situation can be polemic. But let's face it: It happened and someone thought about it, and made the story so much interesting because of it. After all, when something gets people to talk and divide opinions, it means some new, fresh ground is being walked upon.

I'm glad you thought that too. You know I read some books about humans and dragons and although in one book there is no actual sex between the two races one particular dragon made young human women satisfy him sexually and those that failed to give a satisfactory performance were eaten. The book didn't graphically explain that scene but it was obvious what happened - lets just say hands and lube were involved... I found it a bit embarrassing reading that part and immediately thought of the Drakan novel and thought readers may think the same and maybe stop reading.

There's also the Eragon movie where the love between dragon and man was obvious particularly near the end where Eragon kisses Saphira although that is much more acceptable than anything sexually related.
Dragonlord wrote:You mean, there was an "original version" even before those 3 "close" situations you mentioned it? Have you kept it? Were they just details, or have they took Rynn and Arokh's relation to a completely new level? I would love to read it.
Yes, I do have some parts. It's called the uncut version which will be on some old backup archives somewhere. It's not finished but I know it has the scene in with the succubi queen which is full graphic explanation of the succubi queen ***ing off Arokh and drinking the resulting 'biological substances' - it's just wrong, so wrong. If I find it I will attach it to this post. Even then the version of the novel that was released is a bit too graphical and anyone with any imagination can figure it out but it's different when actually explained in writing.
Dragonlord wrote:Do you still have the remains of whatever parts you scrapped? They could work as a starting point to finish the story properly. And I would love to help. I've been thinking about writing some books on my own for quite some years now, and I even started writing a whole Sci-Fi story on myself, but I always dreamed about being one to help finishing the Drakan Novel. My available time is not much, but I'm up to it! If you're up to the task, then let's finish this. At least so we can say the story went 'till the end of the "TAG" game.
I might do but I think I just edited them bits out and didn't copy them elsewhere. Again, I will look through my archives and post anything.
Dragonlord wrote:That's a step further. Re-writing the story might also help fleshing it out, and could work as a way for us to better catch the "environment" and feeling of the whole story.
There's many things that can contribute for interesting, dramatic parts, like the Flesh Mage's atonement, for instance. The constant feel of insecurity flying between those Floating Isles, dreading a fall from Rynn to the depths of the Sky. The fact that there's no more Blacksmiths up there to fix their Armor and Weapons, or Mage vendors to replenish their Health/Magic/Invisibility/invulnerability potions, etc...

But for now, I will re-read the whole story, as I said, and I will take notes on whatever parts I feel might need to be changed or better detailed as well as some terms I felt should have been mentioned in Caps.
It would be nice to re-write it but that would take up a lot of my time. I don't know if the contributors would be happy with this or not but I can't ask them as many no longer have working email addresses and are inactive on the forum. I might just leave what is written as is.

As for continuing it till the end of the game that would be great as well then the story could be released as the extended edition. Again, writing it bit by bit would be best. Posting on the forum would be the best way as that is how the original was done except for one who preferred to send the next part in by email although that became confusing as someone else already wrote the next part on the forum. I had to choose which was the best version or use bits from both.

I'm currently writing a Skyrim story and releasing a chapter every 1 to 2 weeks so I would not be able to contribute every day and it may be a while between postings. I think I'd have to play the game again as well to get me in the mood and interest in the game world.

Let me know what you think after you have read the story.

Edit: OK I found the uncut version. There's a whole chapter at the end which is so bad it cannot be made public so let me think what I want to do with that. I remember editing that and thought no, way this is going public. What was I thinking even bothering to edit that bit?

OK - I've uploaded this to a private folder. If you want to read it PM me for the user name and password

Dragonlord
Hatchling

Post by Dragonlord »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Exactly, Rynn does have a sexual interest in Arokh but not the other way round. They would never be able to have intercourse and Arokh would not try and attempt it although he would let her satisfy him sexually by other means if he felt it pleased her. He does not really agree with it but went along with it anyway because, hey, why not? He would however of course prefer the sexual company of a dragon though but at the time of the story he was the only one.
I was thinking, that if, by any chance, We, or someone else ever put to paper the story that might have happened after the events of TAG and the awakening of Dragons, that Arokh would eventually find some female Dragon to have intercourse with; and then the pragmatic effort would have to be made by Rynn. Meaning, that when such a thing happened, it was not only Arokh that would have to "tolerate" Rynn's eventual intercourse with Vykruta, or someone else, but that Rynn would have to do it as well in relation to Arokh and the eventual female Dragon.

Another thing that crossed my mind was, in relation to Arokh pleasing Rynn, that He could use His tongue. (Yeah, gross, I know...) And after the initial outburst of weirdness, one would realize it was actually logical and obvious. After all, Rynn had to use Her hands to go down on Arokh, but since Arokh can't use His paws or what else to satisfy Rynn, He would just have to use the most wet and soft part of His body, and that would be His tongue. Of course, that we start to think right away on germs, and whatnot, until one truth strikes us: They are "bonded". And, more than that, their bodies now share some biology in common, since any hurt made to one if felt by the other. Therefore, it's not too difficult to imagine that Rynn might have benefited from Arokh's immunologic system, so the infection/germs issues becomes moot. Unless!!!! Rynn could actually "carry" something in Her that would then pass onto Vykruta or other poor guy that would get infected by Arokh's tongue germs... now, there's another possibility to think about. . mainly, perhaps some things that could very well happen AFTER the events on TAG.

That, of course, assuming Rynn would eventually start developing a libido on Her own, and that, again, might only happen after the events of TAG. Unless one happens to find a way to place them both on some quiet moment alone in the middle of all the combats and conflicts that might be raging around them beyond the walls of Surdana and whatnot.
Arokhs Twin wrote: I'm glad you thought that too. You know I read some books about humans and dragons and although in one book there is no actual sex between the two races one particular dragon made young human women satisfy him sexually and those that failed to give a satisfactory performance were eaten. The book didn't graphically explain that scene but it was obvious what happened - lets just say hands and lube were involved... I found it a bit embarrassing reading that part and immediately thought of the Drakan novel and thought readers may think the same and maybe stop reading.
Yickes!!! That's really pushing the envelope, alright! I love Fantasy/Dragon-related themes, but I never heard of such an extreme situation depicted in this type of tales. What book is that? (I bet it's no part of the "Dragonriders of Pern" by Anne Mccaffrey) I have some odd books about Dragons in my shelves that I never read yet,... who knows, perhaps I already have it and have no clue about it.
Arokhs Twin wrote: Yes, I do have some parts. It's called the uncut version which will be on some old backup archives somewhere. It's not finished but I know it has the scene in with the succubi queen which is full graphic explanation of the succubi queen ***ing off Arokh and drinking the resulting 'biological substances' - it's just wrong, so wrong. If I find it I will attach it to this post. Even then the version of the novel that was released is a bit too graphical and anyone with any imagination can figure it out but it's different when actually explained in writing.
Yeah, I can see what you mean. It's all a matter of presentation, right?
Still, that would be priceless to have, just for Academic purposes. ^^
Arokhs Twin wrote:It would be nice to re-write it but that would take up a lot of my time. I don't know if the contributors would be happy with this or not but I can't ask them as many no longer have working email addresses and are inactive on the forum. I might just leave what is written as is.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Let it be as it is. It's more organic that way, and more genuine. I will just have a look at parts that might not be so well elaborated, and build (write) some ways to make them better or complement them.
Arokhs Twin wrote:As for continuing it till the end of the game that would be great as well then the story could be released as the extended edition. Again, writing it bit by bit would be best. Posting on the forum would be the best way as that is how the original was done except for one who preferred to send the next part in by email although that became confusing as someone else already wrote the next part on the forum. I had to choose which was the best version or use bits from both.
Yes, that should be our focus now. It might take some time to get the gears working but it can be done. And yes, We would post it piece by piece until we settle for definitive parts.
Arokhs Twin wrote:I'm currently writing a Skyrim story and releasing a chapter every 1 to 2 weeks so I would not be able to contribute every day and it may be a while between postings. I think I'd have to play the game again as well to get me in the mood and interest in the game world.
That's amazing! 1 chapter every 1 or 2 weeks is lightning fast! Let's hope I can keep up with your pace, seeing as I also have my own projects too. I would love to read it, too. I've read some time ago that some people looked at Skyrim as a Post-Drakan game, and I'm very curious about it. I may just have to get it for my PC one day.
Arokhs Twin wrote:Let me know what you think after you have read the story.
Will do. Already re-reading it. And taking notes. ;)

Arokhs Twin wrote:Edit: OK I found the uncut version. There's a whole chapter at the end which is so bad it cannot be made public so let me think what I want to do with that. I remember editing that and thought no, way this is going public. What was I thinking even bothering to edit that bit?

OK - I've uploaded this to a private folder. If you want to read it PM me for the user name and password
Okidoki!

\w/

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The books I was talking about were by EE Knight and it is the age of fire series. There's 6 books in the series (book 6 is yet to be finished) and the particular book in question was either book 2 or 3 called 'Dragon Avenger' & 'Dragon Outcast' respectively.

As for more drakan novels, one set before the games before or during the dark wars would be good but so would a 'Drakan 3' where it is set after the two games - I think this would be what fans would prefer.

Now that I have gone back and read part of the drakan novel the quality of writing is much better than my skyrim story effort. One I did finish and the other is still work in progress. If you are interested in looking here's the completed Skyrim short story:-

http://tamrielvault.com/group/the-backs ... -south-toc

I was inspired by this story which is arguably the best skyrim novelization to date http://tamrielvault.com/group/the-backs ... -retelling

Ill send you the password for that unedited version.

Dragonlord
Hatchling

Post by Dragonlord »

Arokhs Twin wrote:The books I was talking about were by EE Knight and it is the age of fire series. There's 6 books in the series (book 6 is yet to be finished) and the particular book in question was either book 2 or 3 called 'Dragon Avenger' & 'Dragon Outcast' respectively.
Never heard of it. Will perve Amazon for those. Thanks.
Arokhs Twin wrote:As for more drakan novels, one set before the games before or during the dark wars would be good but so would a 'Drakan 3' where it is set after the two games - I think this would be what fans would prefer.
Yes, I think that the "Drakan III" set would be the most desired and sought-after. Although a professional take on the Dark Wars and/or Drakan's Ancient times could also prove a bold undertaking. Has the Drakan Lore explained so far where did Dragons came? Are they the product of Evolution? Or Magic? In either case, how did they gained their intellect? In case of Evolution it would make a pain in the proverbial ass to come up with a Nature's way to explain how such big and powerful creatures felt the environment-pressure need to evolve intellect. In the case of Magic, it opens some interesting possibilities: What If Dragons were the way someone devised to punish people of some past deeds? Like on Classical Fantasy stories that state that Dragons were once Men that got too greed and suffered for it? What if they were Men bent on Domination? And were turned to Dragons as punishment? (Although one would think if someone wanted someone to get punished they would turn them to chickens?) That would at least explain why Dragons Had to obey the commands of their Bonded Human Riders. What if Dragons were small at first like on Anne McCaffrey's "Drognriders of Pern" series and got big either by Biogenetic manipulation, Magics, or environmental stress Evolution?
I think, more than the Dark Wars events, the propper origin of Dragons in Drakan would be a Holy Grail to uncover...

As for a "Drakan III" novel,... well that would be Astonishing! Imagine the possibilities: New Dragons, New Riders, nem disputes. Surdana would be too small to acommodate so many. New lands would have to be re-conquered. How about Social Behavior? How about past mistakes being repeated? How about a new Social Order brewing? How about Dragons requesting to not be bound by their Rider's every Commands, looking at what happened between Navaros and Kaeros? How about interchangeable relationships? When both Riders and Dragons forged bonds in 4? How about the sexes assigned to each Dragon and Rider? Or even if that was completely irrelevant? How about people from common folk in relationships with Dragon Riders? Political Influence? Lady Mishalla's throne position held in question? General Dehrimon forced to bond with a Dragon to keep His Rank? Damn! The possibilities are endless! Think about the excursions to Southern lands to reclaim and re-conquer territories. What horrors would lie beyond? Huge Monsters? Radioactive lands? Poisonous environments? Talk about Post-Apocalyptic stuff right there! ^^

Oh, and let's not forget Shadow of Light's effort, "The Rekindling". Strong characterization, that could be used as foundation for other Dragon Riders reference behavior.
Arokhs Twin wrote:Now that I have gone back and read part of the drakan novel the quality of writing is much better than my skyrim story effort. One I did finish and the other is still work in progress. If you are interested in looking here's the completed Skyrim short story:-

http://tamrielvault.com/group/the-backs ... -south-toc

I was inspired by this story which is arguably the best skyrim novelization to date http://tamrielvault.com/group/the-backs ... -retelling

Ill send you the password for that unedited version.
It seems Fanfic is really going strong these days. Everybody wants a piece of it. It's just as well. We Humans love to create. Even if we have to do it on the bases of something already made. And it's good training for further endeavors.

\w/

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It's never said in the lore where the dragons came from other than they were the first race on the new world and that is why the planet is named Drakan which means dragon home or dragon world - I can't remember. Much of this information was on websites that no longer exist however some of it was written by fans in these forums, in fan fiction and articles on the main site.

As for the dragons punishing humans for becoming too greedy - that did happen and the two sides fought against each other until the Order of the Flame stopped all that. After Navaros had destroyed it the remaining dragons thought 'sod it we don't want to live in the same world as humans anymore' and went into eternal sleep or joined Mala Shae in the spirit planes (or whatever it was called) I'd have to check on that one.

At the end of Drakan:TAG these said dragons come back into the world and presumably the ones that went into eternal sleep were awakened as well.