Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
AXE
Dragon

Re: Widescreen hack and some other fixes

Post by AXE »

Very interesting read. Someone has been rewarded for the time invested. Shall try this weekend. Kudos!

UCyborg
Dragon

Re: Widescreen hack and some other fixes

Post by UCyborg »

AXE wrote:Very interesting read. Someone has been rewarded for the time invested. Shall try this weekend. Kudos!
Thanks! Let me know how it works for you.

I also updated the first post to make it easier for new users to find everything related to the patch.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Bregolas
Whelp

Re: Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Post by Bregolas »

UCyborg, thank you for your work. I never realized the cut FOV when playing with widescreen was a bug... The game certainly looks different now :D

And I can now confirm the patch worked perfectly well, as I could join AT's server with or without Hamachi.

The only pesky bug that remains - and that you might be able to consult me on - is the 30-sec disconnect caused by the closed ports. No, that can't be fixed on my part, and I don't have a firewall - it's just that I'm behind NAT, so I can only play Drakan from home via Hamachi, unless I change my ISP.

But the thing is, Drakan is the only game where I actually experienced such connection problems. Is there any possible fix to it, what do you think?
(Klaerya Delandos)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Bregolas wrote:UCyborg, thank you for your work. I never realized the cut FOV when playing with widescreen was a bug... The game certainly looks different now :D

And I can now confirm the patch worked perfectly well, as I could join AT's server with or without Hamachi.

The only pesky bug that remains - and that you might be able to consult me on - is the 30-sec disconnect caused by the closed ports. No, that can't be fixed on my part, and I don't have a firewall - it's just that I'm behind NAT, so I can only play Drakan from home via Hamachi, unless I change my ISP.

But the thing is, Drakan is the only game where I actually experienced such connection problems. Is there any possible fix to it, what do you think?
This might be a little more difficult to solve. I did some quick tests and it appears that this problem can show up when multiple NATs are involved. I'm behind router and without any port forwarding rules applied, I can connect to AT's server just fine without disconnecting after 30 seconds. But, if I try the same thing from the VMware virtual machine which is behind another NAT, I can connect but get kicked after 30 seconds unless I set port forwarding in VMware networking settings for Drakan's client port 27910. Really odd, port forwarding is usually required only for hosting/running the server.

Will definitely look into the problem, but I can't promise anything. If I figure something out, I'll post the update.
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I officially gave up on the NAT problem. Someone more experienced with that sort of thing will have to look into it. Until then, I guess Hamachi or Tunngle are the only options.

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

Thanks for trying, anyway!:) Hamachi always worked well for me, and never visibly affected my ping much (on AT's server it's around 40 max now). That said, I remember some people complained I sometimes tend to disappear when using some of the combos. But maybe the connection problems / packet loss are really to blame.
(Klaerya Delandos)

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Finally got out from behind a router for a pc I hope to dedicate for server, as it can runs 24/7. Although sitting here at my desk its fans are workin. Would not connect network issue. because of Windows7, Ran AiO Patch, WoHoo its running a server. Will see how long and stable it is. IP is 50.70.164.37 Hopefully I can crack my old router again, and play onto the server from across the room.

Hamachi: Not sure when I downloaded it, if I got the right version, let alone setup to run the game in it. If someone would write a readme for it, as I'm pretty slow lol, then I could maybe put the server on Hamachi

AiO Patch: The readme that you have with it is excellent, and walked me through installing it. Bravo!

I have noticed that trying to connect to the server required me to install the AiO patch on my other machine, as files were not compatable. Now I have a 30 sec disconnect because of router, But server is stable and cycling through its lvl list.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I have been playing with the Hamachi program, the wrong one! It seems there are a few programs from Logmein, and I was not using the correct one.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi//

After playing between 2 pc's, stable with no disconnects;

I have a Hamachi server login Drakan-Axe with pswd = drakan

input my ip numbers "from Hamachi" into your drakan game

Also the server is not behind any router, with an ip of 50.70.164.37 if you can connect without Hamachi!

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I connected to your server today and it worked without issues :D The server is also visible in Qtracker. I also noticed another annoying bug. If you're connecting to a server via external server browser, your dragon skin resets, no matter what. Same thing also happens if you start the game in developer mode and go straight into multiplayer. Looks like something related to your dragon's skin in game memory is messed up until you load any map. And because intro cinematic is actually just a special map, it works if you start the game normally and go into multiplayer.
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCyborg
Dragon

Second Revision released!

Post by UCyborg »

New version of AiO Patch has been released! Changes from initial release:
  • Separate Arokh.dll file is no longer used, all custom code has been impleneted in Drakan.exe/Dragon.rfl itself.
  • Modified patch for "Session creation failed!" error. Game will no longer call API function inet_addr with empty string.
  • Changed the way widecsreen code checks whether it actually needs to recalculate FOV.
  • Fixed crash that occurs if Giant grabs you just after your death.
You can get it here.

Since separate Arokh.dll isn't used anymore, installation is greatly simplified. Just extract the patched files and play! Users of first version of AiO Patch should also delete Arokh.dll from game installation directory and remove Drakan SDB entry under programs list (Control Panel->Programs and Features).
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Awesome, will update server this weekend!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Will update the version on this site too. Thanks.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Just another update

Post by UCyborg »

Here's another update, bringing some small enhancements and bugfixes:
  • Further tweaked widescreen code; finally those hacky checks that are meant to prevent adjusting FOV value when we are in menus seem to work correctly under all circumstances.
  • "Session creation failed!" error should no longer occur when setting up listen server AFTER playing a multiplayer game on someone else's server.
  • Fixed ice effect not showing up on your dragon after being frozen by an enemy and game crashing the moment he is supposed to blow into pieces if Bump Mapping is enabled.
  • Increased Max Fog Distance that can be set under Graphics options up to 200%.
  • Dedicated server will no longer overwrite graphics settings in registry when quitting.
  • Bumped game version to 376/446 to finally make some distinction from vanilla Drakan.

donkeymilk
Whelp

Post by donkeymilk »

Thanks UCyborg ,for all these great cheat codes and patches u post here.
It's what makes pc gaming so addictive and fun.
p.s.. same thanks to the other contributors here too. :)

donkeymilk
Whelp

Post by donkeymilk »

Hello everyone,i wish to play Drakan as single player only.
Should i go with
Drakan + 10th aniversery mod + AIO patch
Or
Draken + patches + AIO patch.