The Drakan installation problem...

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Aaryon01
Hatchling

The Drakan installation problem...

Post by Aaryon01 »

Hello, people. First of all, nice to find a forum like that still such a lot of years later, after not playing this game such a long time because of all those technical problems. And now, perhaps there is hope again to find a solution though, for finally getting one of my favourite games ever back to work again. If not here, where else could I still find help?

Now, I know all those tips for trying to get this game working. The one helping me back into the game at all is the developer mode - but it does not work properly though. I can play some parts, but the game crashes again and again. At this point, my PC has those specifications:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Language: German
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M7720
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 2188MB used, 13160MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

All other things I tried so far to get this game working failed. Now I heard the first time at all aboput this mod "Drakan: 10th Anniversary". I was so happy, thinking this mod would help me back into the game again. No problem with the installation, but as I started it, it also did not work. All I can get is a total black screen with a yellow curser (I can move it) - and this is all. Nothing happens then, until I press "ESC", then the game crashes. I tried all possible settings with compatibility mode - with no success. IIt's enough to drive one to despair. I am at my wit's end. Can anybody still help me, with the original game and this mod, to somehow ever get this game working again? You people are my last hope... :(

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: The Drakan installation problem...

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi there, did you try installing the All in One patch? This can be installed over the 10th anniversary mod and fixes all known bugs but with some setups there are still issues. I get random crashes but the game did not run at all without the 10th anniversary patch and multiplayer does not work although no-one plays it nowadays online.

I think I remember someone having this issue before with the blank screen with cursor and turning off mouse cursor hardware acceleration fixed it but I'd have to do some digging to find it. What graphics card do you have in your system?
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Aaryon01
Hatchling

Post by Aaryon01 »

Thank you for4 answering. At first, to avoid all misunderstanding - must the original game be installed with the 10th anniversary mod? My understanding was it would be a stand alone mod, so I need not install the oiginal game? At the moment i have only installed the mod.
Ane for the patch, I loaded it from the web, but it does not work. I can not use it. When I click it, only this message comes:

Unable to load RERES.DLL

EDIT:

graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Meanwhile I solved the missing DLL problem - wrong installation place. Anyway, it does not work. Also if I run this patch in the Drakan 10th Anniversary folder, the result is the same - it ends up with black screen and yellow cursor... :(

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The 10th anniversary patch and the AIO patch are two different things; the 10th anniversary patch adds Direct X9 support and other graphical improvements whilst the AIO patch is a collective bug fix of all previous patches (does not include 10th anniversary patch contents) plus fixes problems with the multiplayer networking component and fixes the intro cut scene crash. For both patches you would install the original game then the 445 patch then the AIO patch. Or original game+445 patch+10th anniversary patch+AIO patch.

The game is still flaky however but your setup should run the game without any problems. What I would do is first of all uninstall everything and remove the game folder then re-install with the 445 patch then the AIO patch. I don't think the AIO patch is language specific - it should work with all language versions of the game. For more info on this patch and a complete list of issues it fixes see this topic:-

http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=3765

Over the years there has been several fan made bug fixes; first there was 445+ then 445++ then the 10th anniversary patch then the AIO patch. Be aware however all of these fan made patches will break the multiplayer except if you are playing on a server that is running the same game version.

I'm running Drakan 445 with the 10th anniversary patch so I can host multiplayer games via a dedicated server. Single player will not work without the AIO patch for me.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Aaryon01
Hatchling

Post by Aaryon01 »

Thank you very much for this kind help. I appreciate this very much. sadly it will need some time to test this then. Some time ago I sold the original game, as believing never being able to play this game ever again. Now I must first search to get the game back again, and then I will try. I will write here again when I can tell something further then. :)