Wonder is someone would be interested in making Drakan: Order of the flame Multiplayer tournament

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
predator3026
Hatchling

Wonder is someone would be interested in making Drakan: Order of the flame Multiplayer tournament

Post by predator3026 »

Please comment your opinion!
I can get rewards for winners like steam gifts.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Wonder is someone would be interested in making Drakan: Order of the flame Multiplayer tournament

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Nice idea but what you tend to find is with the different patch versions players use e.g 10th anniversary patch, AIO patch etc this causes incompatibility issues. If we were to do this all players must upgrade to a certain patch - if it works on their PC / laptop; Drakan is fussy about running on the latest operating systems.

If we could get enough players together and get someone to host a game on a reliable server (mine does not seem to work now and I'm unable to get anyone to test it) then I'm sure most of us would be up for it.

We could start off with players posting here if they are interested and what version of the game they are using and what patch.

I'm using Drakan 445 English with 10th anniversary mod + AIO patch
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

predator3026
Hatchling

Re: Wonder is someone would be interested in making Drakan: Order of the flame Multiplayer tournament

Post by predator3026 »

Well i guess Drakan community is too unactive for tournament...

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

About patches, I think if you have some strange problems with a game that other people don't, chances are that unofficial patches won't change anything, as they fix just what it says in their ReadMe. For me at least, the game behaved pretty much consistently on pretty much any computer I've tried to run it on. Just saying that the last thing we need is fragmentation due to different patch versions.

With AiO Patch, we have all possibilities to play it normally over the internet. Plus, there is a working master server which would make finding active games easy using Qtracker. Using vanilla version, it's only possible to run a game server on some ancient Windows version, and even then, everyone behind some router that is doing PAT (Port Address Translation) will get kicked in the end.

I really hoped AiO Patch would revive multiplayer, but guess not. Nevertheless, count me in, I'm in interested in any kind of multiplayer match. Though it seems hopeless, when Axe had his server up, nobody ever showed up.
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, if everyone updated to the AIO patch it would fix the incompatibility issues. For me the server just never worked properly both on the old server PC I used to have before I replaced it with a NAS box and my main PC. The server (on my main PC) used to work fine but recently it now runs for a few mins then crashes so I now just don't bother with it. If we could get enough interested then Ill look into why it has started failing as it did work with the AIO patch as I played on it with a couple of other players. I haven't changed any computer or router configuration or installed / removed any patches.

I've had a lot to deal with recently and work a lot so I haven't had time to play any games - in fact I don't even turn my PC on every day. When I do get time to relax and play games it has been newer RPG games on the PC and / or PS4. However I'd like to have a go at Drakan again.

Revelation
Hatchling

Post by Revelation »

Arokhs Twin wrote:Yeah, if everyone updated to the AIO patch it would fix the incompatibility issues. For me the server just never worked properly both on the old server PC I used to have before I replaced it with a NAS box and my main PC. The server (on my main PC) used to work fine but recently it now runs for a few mins then crashes so I now just don't bother with it. If we could get enough interested then Ill look into why it has started failing as it did work with the AIO patch as I played on it with a couple of other players. I haven't changed any computer or router configuration or installed / removed any patches.

I've had a lot to deal with recently and work a lot so I haven't had time to play any games - in fact I don't even turn my PC on every day. When I do get time to relax and play games it has been newer RPG games on the PC and / or PS4. However I'd like to have a go at Drakan again.
I'm feeling that! XD

But yeh, if there is enough players around for such a tournament, but I guess everyone went in hiding like me! XD Wasn't there a tournament some years back? I think there's someone youtube clips? Been so long, got not idea what's required to even play the game anymore.. I think the last time i tried entering through GameSpy 3D I could'nt enter lol. Just hanging on WoW here and there, not really on any other games.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Its quite possible to do this.

Need a date, I would suggest around Christmas 2015.

Headline: Drakan 15th anniversary Tourney

Need a couple people to host the game.

Advertise: Contact list of e-mails, get the word out.

Test connections 1 week before.

As you will find out, diehard Drakan fans will come.

Bragging rights to winners in each catagories, Air , Ground , MoD to be listed on some visible websites. 8)

lula de silva
Whelp

Post by lula de silva »

well, acctually im open for the idea... i just cant play multiplayer..i dont know why... gamespy not exist anymore or what is the problem?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, gamespy is no more however you can join a game as long as you know the server IP address which no doubt will be posted on the forum if any tournament is to take place. There's also the problem of unofficial various player made patches so you'll have to be running the same version of Drakan as the server for it to work.

Currently I don't think anyone is hosting a server now. I used to host one but it never had any players on it however one should be hosted by someone for the tournament.

lula de silva
Whelp

Post by lula de silva »

thx...maybe if we promoting a little bit for the other players and make a little interest, can be work... really belive it can be succesful just everybody sleeping :)

i tried to typing the ip address but what is query port? does it make any differents?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Query port is 27900 and also ports 27045 & 27046 are used for the game server / client traffic.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Query port is never 27900 unless explicitly set by the server operator, default is 27046. Let me explain relevant networking settings from Drakan.cfg file, located in game's folder:

Code: Select all

set MasterServerList "gsm.qtracker.com:27900"
set ServerQueryPort "27046"
set ServerGamePort "27045"
set Client_GamePort "27910"
set Client_QueryPort "0"
set EnableAlternatePortSelection "1"
set NumAlternatePortSelections "20"
MasterServerList holds addresses of master servers to which the game server sends heartbeats to notify it that it's online and can be found by players. The port number next to address tells the game server to send them to master's port 27900 (the packet exits through ServerQueryPort). Gamespy is gone, so the only alternative today is Qtracker, as far as I am aware of. Until master server is convinced that the game server is functioning, it publishes its IP address on http://www.qtracker.com/server_list_det ... ame=drakan. Easiest way today to find and connect to active servers is by using Qtracker application as Qtracker doesn't support Drakan's way of querying what servers are out there. Obviously, nobody plays Drakan online these days so the list is empty, but it does show there if properly configured. Drakan's dedicated server announces itself to the master by default, but if hosting the game via Host Game button in Multiplayer menu, the last option must be set to Yes if server is to be visible on Qtracker.

ServerQueryPort is the server port to which game clients and master server send query packet to get back information about the server such as its name, which map is on, how many players are on it etc. Only UDP protocol is used. This is the port that must be forwarded to the machine on which the game server runs, if the machine is behind the router, otherwise it won't be seen by outside world. It's also the port that should be entered when manually adding game servers. Qtracker will also display said port in server address.

ServerGamePort is the server port through which all communication between it and clients goes during gameplay. Both TCP and UDP protocols are used. This one must also be forwarded to machine running the server if behind router. That port must be specified when connecting to the game server using the command-line parameter "-connect", if not default. Useful if one wants shortcut to connect to favorite server right off the desktop. This port is indicated in Qtracker application as Connect Port.

Client_GamePort is the client-side port through which communication to the game server goes, again both TCP and UDP. If it's already used by other application, the game will by default try up to 20 alternative ports, as indicated by enabled EnableAlternatePortSelection option and EnableAlternatePortSelection set to "20". Client_GamePort can safely be set to zero, in which case the operating system automatically chooses the free port for the game, in that case, alternate port options are irrelevant. This is how client applications usually behave, since port known in advance is only relevant to servers.

Client_QueryPort isn't set by default but if it is, it opens the specified port (UDP) and listens to traffic. I don't know what it excepts to receive there, it's not documented anywhere, it might have been a leftover from some non-implemented function.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Ah yes, sorry about that it isn't 27900 Ucyborg is correct in what he is saying. It's been a long time since I had anything to do with Drakan multiplayer.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I only got the chance to play multiplayer 2 times total, both 1v1. Really curious about how it would be with 12 people on the server.