I am so happy!

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

I am so happy!

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

Hi Everyone!

I registered like a year ago, but i dont remember my username / e-mail address, but finally i am registered again!

I would like to tell you that i am so happy because these things:

- I can always spend here much time reading the stories of the game (Drakan OOTF)
- I am finally able to play Drakan OOTF on my win 8.1 PC with full screen 1920x1080 and IT IS AMAZING!

This game was really hard for me when i was like 5 years old in the 90s. Now I can replay this game but much nicer graphics, but still Drakan-graphics ;) sweet nostalgia.
So this was hard, and i am still on the second level, dying because of the vartoks in the troll cave, but someday i hope i can burst them with my sword of flame! :D (Yes, you can give me some advices to improve my combat)

Another thing is that i am able to run the Drakan The Ancients Gate (which is very new to me, i didnt know about its existing) with ps2 emulator , and I am already finished with Shadowmire!!

Funny thing is, that some months ago I found a walkthrough from a guy on youtube called "RoxLPs" and I very enjoyed it!! Thats why i am trying my best too, to save the world of Drakan ;)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: I am so happy!

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi there, yeah the PS2 emulator works great and it can upscale the graphics to HD. It's not in widescreen but looks much better at 1024x768 or higher. I've played both games several times although not for a long time. Maybe it's time I should play them again.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

I lost my half / one hour gameplay, when i pressed quicksave in the grimstone mine. Everything i saw was lightning everywhere, and the pillar at the top was there... :D

But after i went further and further. I just found the rift stone in the temple :)
Next mission is to rescue Arokh.

This game is really awesome. If I can finish it, I will begin / continue with "The ancients gates"

Best wishes

TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

I am finished with the Drakan: Order of the flame!

The runeblade looks amazing!
Funny is that i always used the basic fire skill of Arokh. I think the alternative fire skill is the strongest. Navaros was pretty easy with that.

The "ending" is ridiculous. I think the company ran out of money to do a better / longer ending :D

shoprat
Dragon

Post by shoprat »

Unfortunately the ending on TAG is equally unsatisfying. The game itself is first rate and a lot of fun. The replay value is very high because you can max out various skills and complete it with different fighting techniques. You should try it as a full ( level 8 ) Mage and Archer and as a 1-1-1 character if you really want to get the most fun out of it.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, the ending of OOTF was bad. Surreal did want to do a decent ending but they were faced with a deadline or game got cancelled so they had to rush and finish it. The volcano level and the ending both suffered for it and the multiplayer part of the game was released in an unplayable state. It was quickly fixed with patches along with regular game bugs but sadly they didn't release the ending they intended.

As for TAG's ending, that was intended and although it is unsatisfying at least it brings the story to a close but it would have been nice if they had done more than that naff cutscene. A lot of content was cut from that game too including two levels & other rideable mounts although the latter was ditched as who would want to ride a horse or lizard creature when you can have a dragon?

TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

I pretty enjoyed the volcano map. I liked every map of the OOTF. The last map (where you face your brother) looks great, especially with that long way to the hall, it gives a good atmosphere.

Question: Why doesn't Rynn begins the Ancient Gates with the Runeblade / Dragon armor?
Is there any reason, or answer? Those items are disappeared in the rift world?

I know it would a bit intresting to fight and onehit everything you see, but you know... :)

shoprat: I am melee style player, but i like hunting with bows too. I am still unsure what should I play. Mage role was never my style. But we will see what this game will be and if it can be good enough to play again, i will try with another classes.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I also like the volcano level, a lot probably due to the fact that there is magma/lava everywhere and you just go "wow!" when you get there. The islands (daily part) were a bit tiring because I wanted to search every last bit and pick everything I could find and the question did I miss anything was constantly in my head. The Alwarren was also very memorable.

Speaking of bows, there is a glitch Drakan:OOTF that makes arrows do more damage if you aim at a certain spot, in the emptiness between their body and arm or somewhere between their legs also works in some cases.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

One thing that could be done to improve the difficulty, it seems that you always have plenty of weapons scattered throughout the levels, so your inventory is always full, you never really run low on anything and have to resort to Atimar's Blade.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

(Shame on me but) To be honest, i used Drakan EasyMod (which i found on this website) and with that my weapons were 2 times stronger, and some of them were indestructible too. (60 dmg mithril axe AP for the win and then mournblade) + helath elixirs restored to full HP :D

With the ancient gates i won't be able to "cheat" because i need to use the pcsx2 emulator :) I finished Shadowmire, but now i need some practice with Arokh (xbox360 controller) to kill those evil dragons on the way.

By the way I felt the same on the island level to dont miss anything good.But on the island (night) i found the energy bow which was a big help for me killing the succubi queen.

Alwarren was pretty good too, i loved to collect the six stones :)

shoprat
Dragon

Post by shoprat »

Now that you're done with OOTF take a look at the user created Single player levels.

http://www.arokhslair.net/wp/order-of-t ... p-reviews/

They'll keep you occupied for some time. The Breaking of the World uses a magic system and is a very fun level. Dragonmech is a desert level where Arokh is basically a metal dragon/tank. Those are two that I had a lot of fun with. There's some good levels in the download section made by some very talented people. They're all a blast to play.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

TheOnlyLuca wrote: Question: Why doesn't Rynn begins the Ancient Gates with the Runeblade / Dragon armor?
Is there any reason, or answer? Those items are disappeared in the rift world?

I know it would a bit intresting to fight and onehit everything you see, but you know... :)
It is assumed these weapons and armor were lost sometime between the two games. In the drakan novel I wrote the part immediately after the end of OOTF and had it that Arokh made Rynn destroy the runeblade to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. Rynn also chucked the mournblade into the lava as the noise it made did her head in. The armor could have just worn out.

For gameplay reasons though in TAG with it not being an add-on and a completely new game on a new system would have players start with nothing as it would be too easy at the beginning. Also many players who played TAG would have never played OOTF so they had to design the game as standalone with the assumption players had not played the first game. The events of the first game were only briefly mentioned at the beginning and loose references were made during the game for example it is said that Rynn's brother was simply 'lost' it does not go into detail what happened to him.

That was a problem on Surreal's part; they should have gone into more detail with the backstory and events of the first game.

And oh yeah, as per Shoprat's suggestion try the single player levels. Don't let the scores put you off; anything above 60% is worth trying and there's some real quality ones such as the ones by Mick and Salix / Zeoc. Shame the former was never finished, several are players own versions of Drakan2 due to it not being released on the PC and contradict the storyline but well worth checking out. One of my favorites is Aergoth by Dfoehammer which is set 600 years before OOTF during the dark wars and revolves around a young woman wanting to join the order. Sadly only level 1 and part of level 2 have been completed of the 8 level series.

Steamtek made a series of levels that are set a year after the game and does not contradict TAG so these could be a sort of Drakan3 where Rynn and Arokh mop up the remainder of the Dark Union.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

TheOnlyLuca wrote:(Shame on me but) To be honest, i used Drakan EasyMod (which i found on this website) and with that my weapons were 2 times stronger, and some of them were indestructible too. (60 dmg mithril axe AP for the win and then mournblade) + helath elixirs restored to full HP :D
Silly me, guess the Nightmare mod is for me then. :D Found it right next to the Easy Game mod. Alternate game ending also seems worth checking out for the base story. Gonna have to replay with those 2 someday.

TheOnlyLuca
Hatchling

Post by TheOnlyLuca »

Thank you for the suggestion guys!!

I already downloaded some of the single player levels, but i dont find anything how to "insert them" into the game.
Searched in the forums with no success.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Levels are usually packed in a ZIP file, along with a Readme file that says where are you supposed to put files that make up the level to be able to launch it from the game.

After the files are in place, you need to put the game in developer mode, if you have never done that. To do that, hold SHIFT when you double click the icon that launches the game. In the window that opens, go to Developer tab and tick Enable Developer Mode.

When you get to the main menu, clicking New Game will list all installed levels where you can choose the one you want to play. This will start the level on Normal difficulty. If you want to play on another difficulty, you must hold CTRL when you click on New Game, then it will ask you for difficulty before showing you the levels.