What version of Windows are you running?
Ironically, Drakan seems to run best on Win7 and later; even in Win10 it works OK for most people.
Using VirtualBox (or other such programs) isn't needed, and can in fact cause more problems than it solves in this case.
Our member UCyborg has created an awesome repack of Drakan, which is already pre-patched with the newest version, and ready to play.
of bugs have been squashed there, and it also contains almost all of the fan-made levels and (optional) mods.
You can download it here
. If that link doesn't work for you, then here
is an alternative download location.
BTW, that version I linked to is required
if you want to connect to the multiplayer servers
Here's a quick guide to get it running:
- You will need 7zip (free software) or a recent version of WinRAR to unpack that file.
- Unpack it to an empty folder, for example C:\Program Files\OOTF\
- Uninstalling any previous Drakan installation is optional, but do not overwrite your previous installation with the Gold Pack! It has to go into an empty folder.
- Open the folder where you unpacked it, and open the "AiO Patch" folder inside. In there is a file named "Disable_Drakan_Compat_Shims.reg" - double click it, and click Yes/OK in the dialog box that pops up.
- Back out of that folder, and open the "Drakan" folder.
- Right click and drag "Drakan.exe" to your desktop and/or start menu, and select "Create shortcut(s) here" from the context menu which appears.
- Done! You can play now
- If you want to change some graphical settings or enable "developer mode", hold SHIFT while clicking the shortcut to Drakan.exe; this will open the "Riot Engine Options" window.
Also, please be advised that in Windows 10, running the game for the first time may bring up a warning that it's an "unrecognized and potentially unsafe application". Do not worry about that - this is a false alarm, and it's actually perfectly safe to use.