Thinking of shutting down or reducing this site

Discuss things related to this website and ask questions about the forum. New members can introduce themselves here too. Announcements will also be posted here. Note topics are auto pruned if not viewed within 30 days.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of shutting down or reducing this site

Post by Arokhs Twin »

assidragon wrote:Whoa, this place is still around! A true blast from the past.

I run my servers at home and yeah, it's a lot of work, even when you automate the heck out of everything. That cost you mentioned doesn't sound too high - in fact, I think that's less than the double of my power costs, never mind depreciation.

Maybe we could organize a way to split the costs?
Good to hear from you assi. Thanks for the offer but I think I have reduced the costs as much as I can and I'm happy with what I am paying. The server I was planning to use is a Netgear NAS & not a PC so getting it all running on a non x86 processor will be much fun (NOT!). The other thing is the amount of admin time I would have to spend on it; I think it's worth paying for someone else to do that.

For example I have had two hacking attempts on the site (brute force used to guess the admin password) in the past week. Both Russian IP's so I blocked them both which is easy to do via the web console.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

assidragon
Hatchling

Post by assidragon »

To be honest, it's good to be back. :D

Regarding servers, I feel your pain. My webserver keeps getting like three dozen break-in attempts every day - though usually just script-kiddie drive-bys. There's a handy tool called "fail2ban", which automatically scans the system logs (Apache, SSH, and so on) and sets the firewall to ban the IPs which look nasty.

...well, that's the theory anyway. I haven't got it to work reliably yet - though I'm now at the point where it seems to ban the worst offenders, heh.

Running the server on a NAS sounds interesting. Could it handle the load? I had to put everything on an older AMD PC, just so it could work without choking to death. Talking about possible replacements, should the need arise... I have a few virtualized servers running here. I could take a look around and see if I could setup a VM for you - no promises on performance, but I don't think it would be worse than a Netgear NAS. This is also a regular PC of mine, so it doesn't have datacenter levels of redundancy, of course.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The NAS should handle the load as the site does not get many visitors but the problem will be getting a up to date version of wordpress that will run on it. The forum too unless I host that with my ISP's server. At the moment everything is OK but if any issues arise in the future Ill give you a shout.

The server the site runs on is running CentOS with the cpanel admin web based tools.

assidragon
Hatchling

Post by assidragon »

That could be fine. Though to be honest, I'm not even sure if CentOS matters much - you could use any other linux and be fine. I guess.

My VMs can handle some load, though the host isn't a beast either. Well, we could see if we ever get there, I suppose. :)

ShaggaBlackwood
Hatchling

Post by ShaggaBlackwood »

Hey Guys!

Massive fan of the games, having played both back in the day when they came out.

It seems i've just joined at the wrong time but I was really excited to see how many fans there still are for the game.

Obviously I don't know how many users you used to have, but as a brand new member there is a lot more activity than I expected.

I've only just joined so I will go for the option that means I can still talk with people about one of my all time fav games.

You seem to have had a lot of replies to the post in the past day so that must be a reason to keep going to some extent.

Anyway that's my welcome post and I look forward to getting involved.

P.S. the reason I came across this page is because I was looking for a PC copy of OotF. There's some on ebay but I was wondering if any of you fans had a spare copy I could buy?

Shagga

ShaggaBlackwood
Hatchling

Post by ShaggaBlackwood »

Oh I was a year out... Is there a new site?

caravel_

Post by caravel_ »

Would be a real shame if this site closed. Was the first forum I ever joined back in '02 or '03 (forgot password and email)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

caravel_ wrote:Would be a real shame if this site closed. Was the first forum I ever joined back in '02 or '03 (forgot password and email)
I can change that for you - please email the site admin webmaster@arokhslair.net

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Post by MBK_MBK »

Hello friends and congratulations to all, specially to the admins, for this great forum and their great work.

Would be a very sad if the forum is close... :(

I like very much BoD and Drakan, i only can say that we will meet again maybe in other site or forum... but come on friends, please, there must be some way to continue!

I will finish my mod of BoD before the forum closes... i promise.

Best regards and many thanks!!
Loose your ghosts, because they chain suspiciously your freedom.
My Youtube channel, tests with Hyperborean Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MBEASTKING1980
Web site of Hyperborean mod:
https://sites.google.com/view/bodhyperboreanmodbymbk

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Thanks all - I will be renewing for another year rest assured. The BOD community is more active than Drakan and I think we are the only active BOD forum around. It would be sad to see it close.

P.S I've just had a look at the advertising revenue the banner ads on the main site brought in; even with google's cut it will pay for the domain and hosting for another year. It wasn't doing much at first and I haven't looked for months but got a nice surprise when I checked it the other day.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I did not realize that banner would bring it in, excellent! 8)

Metalfist
Whelp

Post by Metalfist »

Please, don't shut down this website ever! I absolutely love this website and it's the only really awesome Drakan website left since planet Drakan shut down! I might not come here to post a lot and lurk around the website more, but I'm still keeping this website dear.

PigVomit
Dragon

Post by PigVomit »

A BIG appreciation to all of you who runs/admins and moderates Arokhslair.net. You do things that are often taken for granted and all that "invisible" work so that we users and others can visit this site years after years. As said, almost all other Severance sites are down nowdays but Arokh´s is still keeping it going. I think many mods and other stuff would not have happended without this very site. So very special thanks for you!!
Vomit on the nearest asshole

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Thanks for your comments - its appreciated

rferriz
Hatchling

Post by rferriz »

Hello,

Have you thought a solution like OpenShift?

I have recently discovered this forum and I it will be a real pitty that this forum die.
At least zip it all and publish some torrents, so info are not lost forever.