Fan Art

Discuss anything related to computer games and fantasy in general. Other fantasy games, games with dragons in, fantasy artwork etc are welcome here too. Posts are auto pruned after 3 months if not viewed. Please post Drakan related topics to the relevant forums below.
Neoslive
Hatchling

Re: Fan Art

Post by Neoslive »

Much appreciated!

here's another dragon piece

Sserpenthraxus
Hatchling

Post by Sserpenthraxus »

Wow, I love it! The shape of the dragon’s head is perfect and I love the tension in the Rynn vs. Werokh piece.

Here’s a dragon drawing Ramoth14 gave to me years ago, when we were playing Drakan:

cieply
Dragon

paint effect

Post by cieply »

Neoslive:
I've just noticed your work @ http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... 726#p31403 and have to say I admire it a lot. How do you make this watercolour/paint effect on picture? The reason I'm asking is I wanted to use something like that to change ordinary photo into similar kind of painting.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

This is not new content by any means, but it still might be of use to someone:

I took the OOTF promotional poster, and edited it down to a wallpaper form.
Whitespace trimmed out, rescaled, and also mildly color corrected. (is it just me, or does the original look kinda faded, or washed out?)

Here, have a JPEG, whittled down to fit within the attachment size limit.
(In PNG format it's over 2.6MB, even with max compression, but the quality is noticeably better than in this JPEG)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It's definitely an improvement but it looks a little dark; the original does look washed out but that was due to the scanner used.

Here's another edited version viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4010
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

Eh, it's a matter of preference. A similar point was raised in the HD texture pack thread.
I find that version you linked a bit too bright and colorful.
You say its dark, but why should it be particularly bright? The scene's composition doesn't seem to suggest that; seems like it's supposed to be nighttime?

Do keep in mind that I'm a mechanic, not a graphic artist (but I do know my graphical editing tools - even if only just enough to be dangerous :)).
Also I've never seen the original, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Good point. I did see that promo image on ebay a long time back. Wish I could have bought it but it was in the US and the seller wouldn't ship abroad.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

Mechanist wrote: Also I've never seen the original, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
I take that back... all along, there was a cropped version of this in the official Patch 445 installer!
So I have instead done my best to make my new version match that one as closely as possible. Also fixed the faded borders while I was at it.

On a related note, I came across this just now.