Can armor-textures be animated

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
shoprat
Dragon

Post by shoprat »

lionlord
Is there a way to animate armor-textures, like some weapons are animated,so that for example the color of the armor changes every few seconds ?

Lord.Stone
I am not sure how texture animating works, but I know that you can do everything with any texture. Armor textures can have the same effects on them as weapon textures or ground textures. It may restrict some things though....

For example, you can make an armor texture semi-transparant, like an ice texture... When this is done, you see through the texture. The thing is though, that you won't be able to use a ring of invisibility with a character wearing the transparant armor, because it is already alfa-mapped...

I do not know about animating though. I think it should be possible, just try it... The restrictions will show up maybe, if there are any...

Sageous
Add all of the frames of the animation into the model that will animate its textures...with the modeler.

In the editor right click on the model and set all of those textures in there to next frame (animate).

Need more info use the search...been covered.

Sageous
double click on texture in database window to open the texture properties.

click add\alpha map

select alpha map and click edit\convert and use defaults.

An alpha map is a replica of the original texture in black and white where black is full alpha and white is 100% opague. You have to create this yourself. Since the background of the hair texture is already black...simply taking a copy of it and removing the color would result in a usable alpha map.

you cant add fx to a skin in the way you are thinking but theres nothing stopping you from doing good art on the skin that looks the way you want...you can animate textures so fire eyes is as possible as you are skilled in 2d animation.

To make a texture animate copy it out and make your frames of animation yourself with whatever program you use to do art. Add each bitmap into the database. NOTE that the bitmaps you are adding will apply as animations for the last bitmap in the database already...so if you adding animations for rynn hair but the last texture before you added em was her leggs...it wont result the way you want.

anyway...to get those frames animating...select the first new frame and double click it to open its properties...check off "next frame"...the database window doesnt redraw properly in this case so close/open it now. The texture should have been added to the texture (original hopefully) before it..denoted by the green corner...repeat for all frames. Now go to original and tell it to be "next frame" also.

They should animate now. if not i may type more when i have time.

i dunno what you mean about only being able to get 146x146 look in database window options and set teh size to be the size of the texture you are trying to get. there isnt any reason for you to not get the perfect size.

as for the shrink/enlarge questions..depends on texture ofcourse...try it and see.

lionlord
I didn't think I was so easy.
It works perfect and animated body armors look fascinating !
Thanks !