Modified Ruined Village level file, with controllable Arokh

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
Mechanist
Dragon

Modified Ruined Village level file, with controllable Arokh

Post by Mechanist »

Here's something I concocted purely for the purpose of messing around.

What has been changed from the original Ruined Village map:
  • Arokh has been moved to Rynn's starting location and made controllable.
  • Also he now has all the dragon breath weapons - because why not?
  • Removed the original outdoors "Visibility Togglers", since they had been set up for ground exploration only; before removing them, flying around resulted in parts of the level not loading (eg. the entire graveyard area).
  • Layer visibility has been completely overhauled.
Use developer mode to load it; same as with other player-created levels.

Keep in mind that Ruined Village was explicitly never meant to have Arokh under player control, so there's some inevitable brokenness; and it's very easy to accidentally go outside of the level boundaries, since no suitable geometry is present to prevent that from happening.
Also, "null textures" can be seen at some of the level boundaries, in areas not normally visible to the player.

Amusingly, it turns out that Arokh actually has serious difficulties navigating the entrance to his own lair :roll:, due to its bizarre collision properties.
There's also a whole bunch of strange and unusual collision inside the lair, which tends to pull him through the walls and thus out of bounds.

NB, all this screwing around has also enlightened me regarding an issue which I had previously held to be untenable:
Heron lived in this village a few centuries before, right? So why isn't there any convenient path between the inhabited area and Arokh's lair, then?
It's really obvious, if you think about it: why even bother with a path, when you can just call Arokh over? 8)
Attachments
Ruined Village with Arokh.zip
(216.22 KiB) Downloaded 381 times

yangez93
Dragon

Re: Modified Ruined Village level file, with controllable Arokh

Post by yangez93 »

Nice idea for this modificated level. To visit undiscovered places by Rynn I used before cheat "floy" so I can check places which we cannot go. In editor we can also just put Rynn in diffrent place than player original start position.As you mentioned I also have problem with flickering draw distance and problems wit layer visibility. As screenshot shows:

I noticed also we can skip to another level Wartok Canyons without getting "Heron's Crystal" and go to Arokh's Lair. Of course we can fly directly to Arokh's Lair and finish level as well :)

Arokh navigation works well in this level when we talk about following the Rynn or calling Arokh. Worse of course navigating in Arokh's Lair :)

There is screenshot where we have place where Rynn cannot go at all without Arokh.

You can also put to this level dragons NPCs but then it would be necessary to improve layers visibility :) Fire balls and other dragon weapons disappear in the dark as well. And the level must have natural mountain boundaries :)

PS. If someone wants to add to Dragon other weapon, use \ and type "gimme magma" or another weapons such as"ice,poison, lightning" :)

Chech also YouTube video with this edited level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNqKfdQ6Wk

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

Ok, I've replaced the level files in the OP - since I've gone back to this in the meantime, and made a much better version; this time with (mostly correct) layer visibility :D

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Great, will give this a try out
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair