How to start editing levels

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
buckmana
Dragon

How to start editing levels

Post by buckmana »

I have an idea for a multiplayer level I'd like to create.

Before I start, I need some help (I'm new to this).

This is the general outline of my idea:

I want to create a level with different Dragons and different Riders.

The first pair will be Rynn and Arokh.

At a minimum, I want to create two extra Riders with custom Dragons. If I get it to work, I may add other Riders and Dragons in the future.

This probably requires rebuilding the meshes for the extra characters.

I want to give Arokh all the dragon powers he has in the game (fire is probably a given, poison, ice, lightning), but will probably limit the other dragons to just fire.

Can this be done?

Can someone provide the help file for the level editor? I don't seem to have it. I think it's called help.hlp

Also, can you tell me what tools I need to do this. A comprehensive list and where to download them (working links only please) would be greatly appreciated.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hmm, an interesting one. I don't know much about the level editor but I think it might be possible but it would mean a lot of work. Assassin, Andrey (Drakon Rider) and Mage150 the experts on the editor and they still drop by occasionally.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

>I want to create a level with different Dragons and different Riders.

you can look at the Dragons Quest MP level design - it has a team of Riders that respawns with their Dragons... i do not sure what you mean 'different' ...

>This probably requires rebuilding the meshes for the extra characters.

it is about possible with Modeler or other 3D editing software...

>Can someone provide the help file for the level editor? I don't seem to have it. I think it's called help.hlp

no surreal's file released... all you can found is on forums, a few tutorials and by exploring Editor's interface and all available levels (SP and MP)... also it is better to know from scratch - many of SP mode features of Riot Engine do not works in MP mode...

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

In the skins menu, you have the option of choosing about five types of dragon (including Arokh).

I want to make extra dragons that you can choose from.

My idea (I'm not sure if it can be done) is to create a multiplayer level with distinctive dragons and riders (Arokh and Rynn will be one pair), instead of having just one dragon and rider.

But I don't seem to be able to export the meshes (the option is unavailable for some reason) to edit them.

Master-Moe
Dragon

Post by Master-Moe »

>In the skins menu, you have the option of choosing about five types >of dragon (including Arokh).

>I want to make extra dragons that you can choose from.

I tried that before, and it worked but not perfectly.. You have to add moves to the dragon, like what to do when you fly sideways, forward etc... And some of the player moves have been replaced with NPC Dragon moves... It's just a complicated thing, if you take time to compare and fix them all in one dragon skin, then it shouldn't be any problem. The Blackbird dragon is using other moves than arokh is, so that's why you have to put them in order yourself.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Basically, all I need to know how to do is export the models to begin with.

I've tried several methods, but haven't quite worked it out.

I need to know <i>exactly</i> (step-by-step) to do to export a model.

Another thing that might be useful (if can be done) is to specify unlimited amounts of ammunition for bows, etc. Can that be done?

Master-Moe
Dragon

Post by Master-Moe »

You can set the stack amount of the arrows for like 99999999. Or try with 0 first, I'm not sure though.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Sorry to keep harping about this, but how do you export the models?

<font size="4">I really need to know this.</font id="size4">

Failing that, does anyone have the models I need? Or know where to download them?

Specifically, I need models for Rynn, Arokh, Rynn's dragon armor, sword models (various sizes, to gauge which is best), the magic bow and the types of arrows (standard, poison, fire and magic).

Once I have these, I can begin. This is the only thing that prevents me from starting. I have all the other data I need, courtesy of this thread.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

>Specifically, I need models for Rynn, Arokh, Rynn's dragon armor,

Rynn models are really all models of armor... i.e. no-armored Rynn does not exist in retail Drakan :) ... Rynn models was released by Sageous some time ago and you can get it ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/Rynn_MP_REC.zip

a bit modded Arokh model is ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/Dragon13_11.zip with matrices file and patcher for database... you can replace head texture with original to get about 100% retail one... as i remember there was also a official release of Dragons texture pack for mod-makers but not found it on my ftp...

also some more Dragon modes: ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/Dragon13_v14.zip
ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/GrDr13_14_23.rar
ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/GrDr13_15.zip

>sword models (various sizes, to gauge which is best), the magic bow and the types of arrows (standard, poison, fire and magic).

these models you can export from databse with Editor...

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Thanks for the help.

I'll start working on the levels and see how it goes.

It may take a while. I'm not the best 3D modeler.

I'm trying to return the Arokh model head to original version.

I keep getting an error message about exporting the head texture. I can't do it.

I need an Arokh with original head/textures.

I also need an original Rynn with leather textures/model.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

>I keep getting an error message about exporting the head texture. I can't do it.

hmm - yes if texture in database has a alpha map it can not be exported... but there is a way of setting real texture size in database properties window and making 'printscreen' and pasting to image editing software... the alpha map is designed manually in this case...

i will try to found a Dragons texture pack - i think it can be in designers resources pack on AXE's server...

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I found a way to "make" a leather Rynn.

One of the armor models is close to leather version, so I just redid the textures on that.

I haven't found a way to finish Arokh yet.

The annoying thing is, I have the REO Arokh (orginal head), even though I don't have the head texture.

But when I try to save as REC, the program crashes (and I get an empty, unreadable REC which crashes the program when you try to load it).

It's probably WindowsXP fault.

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

oh - i remember that feature: textures from MP pack has blue areas as color-key for engine to replace with MP player's armor color... so for SP leather armor you really need to replace 'fill' texture with exported from database but i think you can use alpha maps from MP pack if they required... also a mesh from MP Rynn pack is equal to SP leather armor i sure...

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

>even though I don't have the head texture.

try to export-printscreen from database... i sure it is not any hard...

>when I try to save as REC, the program crashes

you can not simply convert REO to REC with loading REO and saving as REC but you can use a technology as described in http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=957 ... use the Dragon pseudo-REC that you have as 'source' for weighting, skeleton and bounding and the REO you want as 'new' char... i hope full auto-weighting would works fine with Dragon mesh because it does not have close vertices with completely different control joints (like legs from Rynn that requires manual adjusting after auto-weighting)... this way allow you to 'convert' any exportable from 3DSMAX Dragon model with a same pose as Arokh base pose into Riot Engine REC and to make fast mod...