Is the Inheritance Trilogy based on Drakan?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
buckmana
Dragon

Is the Inheritance Trilogy based on Drakan?

Post by buckmana »

Before I acquired the Drakan games, I read the first two books of the Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon and Eldest).

After I played the first game, I thought: "Didn't I read some of these things in those books?"

So I checked the timeline in the back of Eragon. The idea was first conceived when Drakan: Order of the Flame was available. The book was not actually published until Drakan: Ancients' Gates came out.

So, here's my list of similarities between Drakan and Inheritance:

1. Rider bonded to a dragon of opposite gender: Rynn and Arokh, Eragon and Saphira.

2. In time, Rynn can harness some of Arokh's power. Eragon gains magic power from Saphira.

3. The sequel of Drakan (Ancients' Gates) and the second book of Inheritance (Eldest) features an older dragon of opposite gender to the bonded dragon: Mala-Shae for Drakan and Gladr for Eldest.

4. Drakan and Inheritance feature an order of bonded Riders who were destroyed by one of their own abusing his power, Navaros (Drakan) and Galbatorix (Inheritance).

5. The dragons in both Drakan and Inheritance have gone into hiding following the aftermath of the war/s.

6. The Kulls in Inheritance seemed to be based on the Wartoks and Orcs from Drakan.

7. This is the one that finally decided me. In Drakan, there's a place called Surdana. In Inheritance, we have a place called Surda.

Am I completely crazy?

Or is this a valid opinion and can you find more supporting evidence?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

You are correct and you are not crazy [:)]. Surreal probably borrowed ideas from many sources when they wrote the Drakan storyline; I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the Eragon movie. There are similarities to Anne Mcaffrey's books amongst others - even an old English legend. It's nothing new really; software developers and movie script writers often base their ideas on other books, movies etc.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

When I read Eragon, I thought Paolini had PERHAPS played and absorbed Drakan, but who knows.
Good call.

Claxon
Whelp

Post by Claxon »

Sorry for the necromancy in reviving the thread, but having just watched Eragon on DVD again, I had a desperate need to see if other people felt this too. I know exactly what you mean, ever since I first saw Eragon, I was thinking how it's so much like Drakan (which as we know is like the best game ever). Like you said there's human / dragon bonding, the whole "Order of dragon riders" where one causes a civil war killing the rest. And one I quite like that you missed was that in Eragon, Brom has a sword called "Zar'roc" which I couldn't help but smile at the similarity to Arokh.

Personally I'd find it hard to believe if you told me that Chris Paolini hadn't played Drakan. Drakan did such a good job of implying a deep & rich backstory, that just begged to be written about, and it feels like that's what Paolini did (close enough anyway).

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Good call on the sword's name.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It would be great if they made a movie based on Drakan, prehaps set in the Dark Wars rather than Rynn's time. Or at least some books written based on the Drakan universe.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I didn't catch that part about the sword's name. Nice that you spotted it!

Yes, a Drakan movie would be cool.

But <font color="red"><font size="3"><i><b>ONLY</b></i></font id="size3"></font id="red"> if they did it justice.

Most (if not all!) game to movie films have been awful!

Given the number of sales Drakan made, I'm surprised nothing happened after game 2.

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

This is interesting!! Why we don't ask Cristopher Paolini if he played Drakan?
I think all this things are not coincidence! Who knows?

W Drakan!! IS THE BEST
p.s. I like the idea of a Drakan movie, but I don't think someone will do it! :((

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I would if I knew how.

Like I said, the date when Christopher Paolini started writing the series and the release dates of the game are too close to be coincedental.

After reading book 3, I now have another 2 points.

8. In Brisingr, he talks about dragons having a crystal heart (referred to as Eldunari (it's not really a heart, more like a place dragons can put their minds so as to live on when their bodies die). Although Arokh does not have such a thing, he does have a crystal which links his heart to Rynn's.

9. Eragon's new sword Brisingr has blue flames and can break enchantments by cutting through them. Rynn's sword Runeblade has a blue glow and has the power to nullify magic (she was able to free Delon from Navaros by slapping him with the flat of the blade). I wonder what would happen if Rynn fought a Shade with her magic sword?

But I wonder if Chris Paolini would admit to that. He probably couldn't, seeing as it would open him up to being sued for copyright infringement and a share of his book sales profits. Personally, I wouldn't be so petty, but corporations are probably different.

Well, they'd have to get a movie really right if they made it from Drakan. Include the whole story, get the characters and voices right. I'd prefer a CGI movie (which can work if you spend a lot of time and money getting the models right) as opposed to live action. I wonder if Lani Minella and Jeff McNeal are still around? They were the voices of Rynn and Arokh in the first game, the ones I like best.

I'd prefer if they did a more detailed version of this Arokh though:
He looks much better then he does in the second game.

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

Hi!
I'll try to contact Cristopher Paolini and find out more! :) ;)
About book 3, I didn't read it yet, but I'm gona read it soon!

Jeff McNeal

Re: Is the Inheritance Trilogy based on Drakan?

Post by Jeff McNeal »

I realize that this is a very old thread, but for what it's worth, yes, I'm still around, and so is Lani Minella. If they want to make a movie and cast me as the voice of Arokh again, I'm down for it. 8)

Greeting and cheers to you, my friends.

Jeff McNeal

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Inheritance Trilogy based on Drakan?

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see you drop by and still have an interest in the game.

AT
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair