RPG as you would prefer it or not?

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
bodfan
Dragon

RPG as you would prefer it or not?

Post by bodfan »

The comparison is to those classic RPG games such as diablo(s), gothic(s), baldur gate(s), iwd(s), morrowind(s) ... In these games, we have :

1. day/night to restore health by resting.

2. eating food/drink to gain back health.

3. using audio to express eating/drinking/tiring(yawning).

4. monsters respawings (diablos).

Drakan:TAG has none of the above. And I totally welcome it. In fact, I always think that those things are distracting, even annoying. [8D]

What's your opinion? [:)]

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Drakan was more of an action game with RPG elements; it was not intended to be a RPG game.

De Profundis
Dragon

Post by De Profundis »

Well, I believe in Drakan you DO in fact drink to restore health. I'm an RPG junkie. I find that more complex and invloved the systems are, the more into it I get.

My ideal RPG is Valkyrie Profile 2 for many reasons.
a) A very unique battle system with many many options as well as many consequences. Neither real-time nor turn-based. You don't get the rush of real-time cobat, but attacks must be timed correctly and executed without entering the enemies attack range.
b) A complex ability system, utilizing equipment and accessories in certain orders and of certain colours and classes to learn certain abilities which are usually essential to beating the game.
c) About a hundred characters that can be found and placed into your party, all with unique stats.
d) Different attack options that allow for a barage of different combos, which also determine which parts of the ememy you hit, which in turn determines which accessories they may drop (as well as possible bonus EXP).
e) A very well paced and interesting story.

There are TONS of other aspects to the systems as well which are all factors to my loving this game, but it would take a long time to list it all.

nubby
Whelp

Post by nubby »

Too bad TAG isn't/wasn't as big and as involving like Gothic 3. It is THE game I'm mostly so into now. Stunning graphics, wonderful weapons and magic. Not having a conveyance like a dragon (or even a horse) is sucky at the beginning until you get the teleporter stones.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

A Drakan RPG would be great set either during the Dark Wars or after TAG when the Order reborn is mopping up the remnants of the Desert Lords and other evils. That way it would continue Rynn and Arokh's story whilst introducing loads of new characters who you could play as.

Serenity
Hatchling

Post by Serenity »

Well, to me, all of those things just make it seem more realistic. I think Drakan concentrates more on action and adventure, and maybe some puzzles. I like RPGs, but I think those things that make it seem realistic just kind of slow you down. I prefer games with a lot of action and a storyline.
I love Drakan the way it is.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Well, I differ in opinion. For me, true RPGs are Pen & Paper Role-Playing Games such as Dungeons&Dragons or Vampire: The Masquerade. To play them, you doesn't really need computer, you just meet with your friends and every one is "playing" his own character. Each one says what say his hero and describe what he or she is doing. One person is the Game Master (or in D&D Dungeon Master) - his role is to keep everything running smoothly, master the story and play for all background characters (also called NPC).

I hate when somebody says that Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate etc are RPGs. They are just cRPGs - computer role playing game. If you want to play true role play, go to some Fantasy Fan Convention and I promise you won't be dissapointed ;-)

And so I also very like computer games that places strong accent on story and atmosphere. For example I played once Neverwinter Nights 1 multiplayer on polish role-play server and during 8-hours of game I didn't kill even single monster. And it was real fun, as one of the most experienced player was mounting a party which lasted from 4PM to 12AM. We singed, danced and were chatting and I met a lot of great people.

Riftweaver
Whelp

Post by Riftweaver »

I always considered Drakan to be a action adventure game,... which it was mostly was in "Order of the flame" but then in "Ancient's Gates" they added in RPG elements such as leveling up abilities and the buying/selling of goods to customize your character with.

On the hole I have to agree with Serenity, I feel much the same way, except the game play could still use some tweaks.

As for my thoughts on game mechanics that Drakan could adopt from other games;
• Fable 2 has a nice combat system which seems in some ways similar to Drakan TAG, but it lacks Rynn's acrobatic moves/abilities. The big downside to both Fable games are the continuous loading screens and restrictive environments.
• On the other hand, if the environment are too large like say Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV the player can get too side tracked or lost which doesn't suit a fast paced action/adventure genre.
• What's an old dungeon like without traps or puzzles? Tomb Raider may well have influenced Drakan to add in these puzzles/traps into OOTF and I think it's a good move as it helps to break up the game play providing it's done correctly and not too drawn out or difficult. Which is one thing I always enjoyed about Drakan.
• Music and storytelling are also important, I liked the feeling of history within OOTF, portrayed by the 2d artwork in books/scrolls such as the cut scene half-way through the first level of OOTF and the use of a narrator. As for the music I liked the dark, moody music in OOTF giving a feeling of a world in conflict and of course adding suspense at key moments throughout the game.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

skills are fine.. But what's wrong with the origional pick the most damage weapon you have to kill a decently hard AI?

The game is fine how it is, tis allways been about hack and slash your opponants without some weird battle system that wastes time :P