Just received my copy of Drakan

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Nikoomba
Hatchling

Just received my copy of Drakan

Post by Nikoomba »

Hello everyone! Great to see that this website is still around. It seems to be dying, unfortunately.

Today I received my first REAL copy of Drakan: Order of the Flame. For all these years I've been enjoying borrowed or even illegal copies of the game, but finally I had the chance to get my hands on a legit one!

It was never used before, it even still had the plastic wrapping around it. Of course it no longer does ; ). I'm loving the box art and the lore in the manual.

I just noticed some irregularities, though.

For example, the manual mentions Orcs, but in the game I think they're called Grull? And on the box it says that there are boomerangs in the game. I've almost beaten the game twice, but I'm 100% positive I've never encountered such a weapon. Can anyone fill me in on this? Thanks.

I also happened to notice that <s>the 445++ patch removes multiplayer capabilities.</s> something has removed multiplayer capabilities(confirmed to be the case with any patch version of Drakan: Order of the Flame). It says that the network settings need to be checked. I'll see if I can figure out some sort of fix, and I'll keep you updated on this. Maybe we should get cracking and start polishing this game for as far as it is possible. At least until I feel confident enough that I'm ready to create my very own version of Drakan. Obviously it wouldn't be for sale, but at least I can give it a shot.

I hope to see the fans returning to this website until the end of time, since it would be a damn shame if this website and all knowledge of this game would vanish. ; )

I've joined the site twice before I think, but I can't remember my account details, save for the nicknames. You may remember me as either xX biohazard something(bleh, what a bad nickname) or NavarosTwin. Anyways, I'm back and hoping to brew some life into this awesome place :).

Have a good one!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hey I remember you from the old days, glad to hear you got yourself a copy! I bought mine not long after the game came out and I still have the box and manual somewhere. I moved house last year and it's probably amongst a load of crap I still haven't had chance to sort out yet but to answer your question of Orcs, yes, they are called Grull in Drakan:TAG and orcs in OOTF. Don't know why but I suppose Surreal came up with a more imaginitive name for them in the sequel.

As for boomerangs, I have never come across them either. Guess they were cut from the game as I know a lot of material was cut (including the proper ending) to meet the deadline. A lot of people have made some great improvements to the game such as the 445+ patch and any more improvements would be great. A lot of people still enjoy the game even now.

The forum has a forgot password link btw which you can recover if you know your nickname.

mad_bohemian
Whelp

Post by mad_bohemian »

The boomerangs are in the Mods made by the "Fans".
See Player made levels on the home page.

Nikoomba
Hatchling

Post by Nikoomba »

I noticed today that multiplayer *does* work in a non-patched version of Drakan, however the single player doesn't work in that version.

I'm still working on a possible fix, but it's hard since I'm not familiar with the file types used. Most of it is probably encrypted anyways.

I'll keep you updated on this.

As for the boomerangs, I've finally been able to use one that was in a modification.. Was this an item that was in the game but never used, or was it programmed by a fan?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mad_bohemian</i>

The boomerangs are in the Mods made by the "Fans".
See Player made levels on the home page.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Totally forgot about that. They were not in the original game but I forgot about the mods made by fans.

Nikoomba
Hatchling

Post by Nikoomba »

Yes, they're not really boomerangs though.
I wonder how anyone could program something like this into the game?
I'm not aware of Drakan offering any possibility to program new weapons. Can anyone fill me in on this?

The boomerang I've used it way overpowered, though.

I'm still working on a network fix. I'm not sure what has changed in patch 455++, so I'll have to see if I can find a proper changelog.
I read they've been using hex editors to write the patch for the GeForce crashing problem. Maybe using a hex editor can help me here, but I'm inexperienced when it comes to hex editing.

I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

EDIT:
It seems playing in multiplayer mode is possible when using LogMeIn's Hamachi LAN emulation software. This is a temporary solution, however, because I wouldn't want to see Drakan depend on third party software to play online. I'll continue my research on patching the game. Please bear with me, it's hard fixing an issue when source code is not readily available.