Running a game server?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Andrew

Re: Running a game server?

Post by Andrew »

Since this is one of the few points of activity I'll post this here.

I want to play multiplayer, but have nobody to do so with. If there are some of you regularly playing can you give me some times/dates etc?

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Not sure whats involved with running a master server, but the addy you have would definately be good 8) Thanks for offering , we just might do this!

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Giblet Club: I am trying to get some players together

Wednesday 10 pm GMT for 1 hr
Sunday at 7pm GMT for 1 hr

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

So I dont think a master server is feasable. You are required to run a server program like Unity etc, that would then require server files to be manually installed because the game is so old. The odds of getting it to run are low, let alone having it stable. Newwer games are auto load for server files, and so much easier, even Steam support etc.

Made for good reading for a evening relax! 8)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

AXE wrote:Wednesday 10 pm GMT for 1 hr
Sunday at 7pm GMT for 1 hr
Just a though - maybe we should create e-mail newsletter with list of planned games, so it'll reach much more potential players? ;)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Best way to create a newsletter is for it to be emailed to all members of the forum (please note only an admin can do this) so if you want to put one together I can send it out via the forum. It would have to be plain text format.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

AXE wrote:Not sure whats involved with running a master server, but the addy you have would definately be good 8) Thanks for offering , we just might do this!
I think what Shelim meant is we can direct the subdomains to the server IP addresses, example, Axe.drakan.eu is your server mage.drakan.eu is my server ip etc etc.

That way people can type those names into drakan and it SHOULD in theory redirect them to our server Ip's via his domain
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

K, so those domains would then be written into the config line for master server lists; or just a server ip for "Axe.drakan.eu. interesting!

Whats Shelim say! 8)

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

AXE wrote:K, so those domains would then be written into the config line for master server lists; or just a server ip for "Axe.drakan.eu. interesting!

Whats Shelim say! 8)
Correct, providing Drakan and/or the gamespy master server can send the text address through DNS (or whatever means) properly to get a numerical response. It's a most common way of connecting to multiplayer servers now a day. RAther than memorizing IP's you just remember a subdomain, which tends to be easier ;)
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Mage150 is correct, you can use domains instead of IP in Drakan "join game" window :)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

iKenna a new game server I see, through Bob's entertainment; which I check frequently to see if my server is running.

I was going to join it, added the ip's but sadly,,,, Its running 435 patch, whats that ayyyye.

I do remember the Japanese running always with 435, hey anyone got a comment about why use 435 instead of the newer updates? 8)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

435? Isn't that the very first version of Drakan? No idea why would you want to run it unless you like bugs. :P
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe