Drakan order of the flames on windows 10

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
arawho
Hatchling

Drakan order of the flames on windows 10

Post by arawho »

Hi ,
I had an old installed copy of Drakan- order of the flames earlier installed in an XP/win 8 systems.

Now copied on to windows 10 based system. I get the initial screen with menu However , when I choose either saved games or new game option , it just doesnt go forward.

Would appreciate help to make it work.

Regards

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Drakan order of the flames on windows 10

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi there is the game installed to the default location as this causes problems also what patch do you have installed as the game won't run at all unless it's V445. If you have the latest patch try the unofficial all in one patch as that fixes a lot of issues. It also needs to be a full installation with multiplayer components.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

arawho
Hatchling

Post by arawho »

Thanks for your response.

I had this installed game in the CD from old archives and I just copied to the Hard disk.

Can you let me know where do I download V445 from, and in which folder should in copy this into ?

Appeciate your help

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

That won't work - you will need to run the install program from the CD as just copying the files from the CD to HDD won't create the registry keys etc. The 445 patch can be downloaded from this web site on the main site under downloads. If you install that it may create the registry keys for you; give it a try first and if not you will have to install the game from the original CD then apply the 445 patch before running the game.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

If I understand correctly, the OP burned already installed game folder to CD and now wants to use said copy on Win10 PC. Because files on original CD can't be used to launch Drakan, they have to be unpacked first, which is taken of by installer. I'm assuming something broke when the game was transferred. It might be the best to delete it since it doesn't work.

If original CD is available, first install the game from it, then 445 Patch and finally AiO Patch. For the least confusion, don't install the game under any Program Files directory. If you do, new saved games and config file will end up somewhere under "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore", unless file virtualization is disabled (it isn't by default), game will be unable to save games and its config except if it's launched as administrator. But otherwise, it can work well if the game will be played from multiple user accounts. The old practice of saving user data in installation folder is something that hasn't been taken care of.

445 Patch comes with installer, the AiO Patch requires manually copying files, be sure to check out the ReadMe, at least Installation section, but there is a lot of other useful information there. If you don't happen to have original CD, you'll find the link to the fully updated game in AiO Patch thread, it's the first one in this forum section. If you don't remember ever applying 445 Patch when you played Drakan in the past, you won't be able to use old saved games. Saved games from version 445 and later are compatible, but older saves will just crash if you try to load them.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

arawho
Hatchling

Post by arawho »

Thanks .... Arokhs Twin

arawho
Hatchling

Post by arawho »

Thanks UCyborg .

Will try this out

Regards