Help!

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Sounds like you have too many level properties set for the game maybe. I had this happen when you use ruined villiage DB than you make your own Level Properties in your own database. As for arokh flying I dont know what to say but you upload your map and I can look at it. It's much easier to make suggestions for something I can sort through the Databases and see what your doing wrong.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

That sounds like it! Aha! The bugs only happened once I started making my own level properties. You said you want me to send you the level?
!!!!!!Thanks again dude!!!!!!!!!!

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Yes I want to download and look at what you have.

And for DM you wanted my comments, I got through the first map fairly easily once i killed all the dragons. You have potential but I think that I would have only given you beta quality on that map. There are several errors that arent exactly vital but they are things that annoy me to death because when I make my map I'm making sure I dont make some mistakes. Its your first map yea? I think if you remade it than you would find it's better the second time around :) I found that It took me 3 ideas before now I am satisfied with my development style and its working visually better than anything I ever produced. Get yourself maybe 2 or 3 other people than you and send them updates whenever you work on your map and tell them to make dev suggestments. First I would tell you to make your trees and objects so they dont hover. That is the 1 thing that annoyed me the most was in the second map when you leave the town you get this forest I guess and the dead trees are hanging 40 cm off the ground. Also lower your amount of health elixirs by about 20. It wasnt really challenging but for your experience I think it was decent. Realize im not making fun of you or anything just giving you what you asked me to do :).

Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

tree hovering was fixed a long time ago. I didn't send the update to Lady Slag simply. Besides, this is my first and the last map. I'm more a writer than a programmer. And I am not really into computers.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Mage- how do I eliminate this problem? Do I have to get rid of Ruined Villiage DB or not use anything from this DB? Do I delete and redo my level properties?

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

If u include DBs from retail maps, and those DBs have Level properties, you can be in trouble, yes. Best way is to exclude them. You can always rip the modells, texes, sounds off...

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Just get rid of Ruined villiage or delete your LP. As long as you only have 1 LP than your fine. Dark Masters maps always crashed because he had multiple LP I noticed. More than 1 LP = trouble usually.

Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

not always. It crashed only three times, when I was testing it.

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Hence the reason I use multiple testers. I crashed every 30 seconds in one part of your series. The point is it crashes, which leads to disgruntled fans.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

I got rid of the Ruined Villiage LP and something strange happened...now when I play the level, there are things that I didn't put there and things are changed into other things. For instance, there are palm trees (not put there on the editor) and houses are changed into carts or vice versa. Also, choosing my level from the new game level selection doesn't work.
Alos, one more thing...Some of my textures don't look right. Snow & the snow trails look coffee colored. Same thing happens on Drakan levels (Wartock Canyons) How do I mend this? It <i>pisses</i> me off.

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Oh poor child. Please make a load of small maps first. It will save you many head aches in the future. I do not think you are ready to make large SP maps yet. I didn't even think I was ready to make a large one until a year ago and trust me. Pro's told me I was right. My work from last years to now is greatly improved. You should be making little 32x32 maps that do basic little things with a few trees and houses. Your like I was; lot's of ideas but not the exact knowledge of how to do it. Gain it slowly by starting with a small map that has you pick some crystal up, put it in a notch and than have some enemy appear. Once you are able to do that flawlessly Ill give you more homework.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Sy, that is because you have took out a whole database, and now various objects refer to other things than you thought (that is because of the order of the databases' being changed)....

ABout textures. Try changing video modes, that could fix the problem (sometimes editor's 3D view nicely screws up everything). I hope you did NOT change retail databases.... :S

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Assassin: How do i change video modes?
Mage: Are you suggesting that I let this map sit and make a smaller one (w/the enemy appearing when a crystal is picked up?) How do I make the enemy appear like you said?

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

I suggest you creat a brand new map called Homework#1 and you make it nice and small and all I want you to do is figure out how to make that map on your own. The only way your really going to learn to make a good map is by figuring out how to do simple things like this on your own by doing research (i.e. look at a map where you recall this happening.) I asked lots of questions before but it seems to me that you don't ever try and figure things out on your own. Maybe I am wrong but most of the stuff I learned was from experimenting with what I saw in retail maps and placing it in my own maps.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Video: Options menu :)) resulotion and color depth settings.