Help!

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

that's sad. I had the same problem once. Try to make a system restore. if that does not help than forget about it. Try always to keep two copies of a level.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

I'm not too upset anymore...as of recently, I started Dragon's II, or Dragon's Common V.2. So far it's much better than the original. Transitions between major areas are smoother, there is more detail and water is present. Due to the number of bugs V.1 had, I'm thinking it was actually the cause of the 'fatal' crash. Still, I'm going to be a hardass when it comes to bugs. I have found the following problem: Arokh, when the level begins, is in layer none far below the layer. He's on a textured layer that Rynn is standing on. Any clues on how to solve this?

Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

there is at least one clue. have you created your own DB (probably yes)? you have to raise your ceiling level. should help, i hope.

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

When you use 3D view make sure Debug mode is on in the riot engine options so make sure you hold that shift button down when you click window > 3d view. It smooths things out when your editing while 3d view is on.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Yea, I discovered this long ago. Dragon's II, so far, is very similar to the first (lost) version. This time it actually going to have a storyline and such. I'm making it very difficult- most NPC's presented in gameplay will be either bosses or 'super C's', or NPCs that I've supersized, with special weapons and insane HP. I've actually been referring to the Landscaping guide you wrote, Mage. It's very helpful.

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

As long as this post only stays in this post and goes no where else, I actually forgot all my landscaping stuff about a year ago because I made alot of Multiplayer maps with vertex tool, and had to reteach myself with my own tutorials :D. That's pretty sad I know but I was wondering if there is any specific features that I was missing out of that. Im going to probably re-write and transfer it to the level editing page so more people can see it.

Dark Master
Whelp

Post by Dark Master »

hey, Mage150, would you like to play The End of the World and i'd like to here YOUR opinion. Not in this thread of course. There is one on this site and another on Planet Drakan.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Hey, Mage, I have a question. I want to make a dragon gate with a force feild and a lever to disengage the said force feild. How do I do this? Also, I want to use the drawbridge offered. Is is useable or just decoration? If usable, how do I allow the player to activare it (I know there is a lever base on it).

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Sy.

1. Database > Mountain World Common > Landscape Objects > Common Structures > Caves > Dragons Gate > Force dorr
2. Place this on your landscape where you want your force field. Edit the instance properties if you wish but dont edit the database object. Scale it to fix the area you want it to block.
3. Place on the map Database > Mountain World Common > Landscape Objects > Switches > Switch
4. Edit the instance properties so that your on and off messages say off.
5. Link your switch to the Force Dorr you placed on your landscape (click lever> shift click force dorr on landscape.)
6. Now place your base on the landscape and line it up. Usually when you place objects you need to put togehter on a drakan landscape you can use the 1 and the 1/2 buttons in the Instance Properties Position Tab. These will insure your models line up at their origins though some models dont always work this way and you might need to adjust to your likings.

Dark master, I played your beta but I will play your new version and Ill take your word that its nothing like the beta. I hope it isnt but I will play it now and we will see.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Dude, Mage, you really got this down. Thanks for the help. Also, I haven't been able to properly put water on the landscape. I have waterfalls, but no rivers and such. Can you offer any suggestions?

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

almost 4 years of level editing does that to you sy :) As for water you need to describe your "symptoms"
is your layer able to be walked on or through? You can go through but not swim? there is lots of things but I think It is your vertecies arent set to water.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Go to http://www.geocities.com/adeon26/dry_lake_bed.html and look at the bottom of the page. The last pic shows the problem. The darkish area of the snow is where the water layer is splashing over onto other places. I first made the river bed, and made a second layer and painted it to make it look like water. I selected it using the vertex edit tool and labeled it Water Slow SE. I changed it from "Floor" to "In Between". It looks unrealistic and covers too much of the layer. I can play the game fully, but Rynn just walks through the water rather than swimming. ALSO--- Arokh still doesn't fly!! At the beginning of the level, he is nowhere to be seen. I think he's in Layer None again. I placed him on a valid layer in the Editor and put launch pads on him. I heard that adjusting my flight ceiling helps, but I don't know what to set it to or even how to set it.

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Oh, one more thing, I would like to add music and weather effects to my level. How do I do that?

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Music is done in level properties. Put the ID number for what track you want it to play. Weather effects can be done basically through Triggers and Snow or Rain objects but I dont use them right now so you need to play with them to figure them out. As for your water find a TD database and left and right click the black background of the texture tab. than you paint on the NULL texture to the water you dont want. As for your swimming problem it sounds like your water layer isnt equal with the ground layer you are coming from. There must be a leak of some sort. Make sure the edge verts of the water and the ground meet up perfectly or you get problems where you run underwater. As for the flight ceiling you need to make it about 3000 lower than your highest mountain just for a guess though you might find places arokh flies off of the map and you than lower the ceiling more. Its all experimentation. Thats how you learn to make maps with drakan

Sy
Whelp

Post by Sy »

Arokh still isn't flying. Also, if I try to start the game under the "New Game" selection in Drakan, it immedaitely shuts the game down as soon as the bar indicates it's fully loaded. I managed to save the game under the "Load Game" selection, however the game doesn't few of the modifications I have made on the editor. How do I fix this (these) bugs?