Drakan Dosbox help

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
The-Hider
Hatchling

Drakan Dosbox help

Post by The-Hider »

Im trying to run Drakan in Dosbox can somone please tell me what the execution command is for drakan?

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

Oh and "Hello" new troll here,wc2

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

c:/program files/psygnosis/drakan/drakan.exe

Not sure if it will run within a Dosbox, good luck!

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

It's not a dos application so I think you will run into problems. Drakan will only run under a 32 bit operating system i.e everything except windows 3.1 & dos.

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

So what am I supposed to do to get it to work then?

Whenever I try to start a new game it crashes. Somone told me to try dosbox on old games.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Dosbox is only for really old games that run under the DOS operating system, not windows. Dosbox is an dos emulator for windows NT,2000 & XP machines. You don't need it for windows 9x operating systems as they have DOS built in.

You haven't posted your system specs so I don't know what operating system you are using but if it's XP, there are a few things you can try. First of all, check your drivers are up to date and latest windows service pack is installed. Then try turing off the 3D sound options in the game engine menu. If that does not work, try each option in turn to see if that helps.

Finally, failing that, run the game in developer mode as this bypasses the intro cutcene that causes crashing on some PC's.
If you are running Vista though, you are very lucky if you manage to get it working at all even then it will probably have other problems. Vista is useless for running old games.

Please search the forum and check www.arokhslair.net/tech.html for help on the game.

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

Thankyou for your help, I will try all of those things.

Ive read alot about people having this same problem.

I have XP but my computer is also really new.

Has anyone reported any scucess with getting the game or the videos to work with xp?

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

Should I also try running the game in 16 bit color mode or somthing?

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

The error Im getting is "Engine has encountred an error and needs to close, tell microsoft about this problem type".

Would installing any patches help or should I just try and find an old computer :( man this sucks...This is like my most favorite game ever.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

You need to have the 445 patch and yes, try it in 16 bit colour mode and also try windowed mode.
How far did it get in developer mode before it crashed?

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

I tried it all and I still get the same error after selecting difficulty.

Is there anything I can do to my graphics card?

Do you think there will ever be a solution to this?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

If you are getting the difficulty selection screen, it is not running in devloper mode. As I mentioned above, you need to enable dev mode and then select the 'ruined village' level after clicking on 'new game' this should hopefully solve your problem.

The-Hider
Hatchling

Post by The-Hider »

Yeah I did but the graphcs were a bit messed up and I want to watch the opening movie and stuff -_-

If I play like this will any of the other cutscenes work?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Unfortunatley, you can't watch the intro as this is what causes the crash. There is no fix for this yet and probably won't be either. As for your messed up graphics, this is pretty common on most onboard graphics cards but you didn't mention what video card you have. I assume its Nvidia as Drakan soes not seem to like them and has the problems you are having.

mad_bohemian
Whelp

Post by mad_bohemian »

I've got XP and the game works fine cut scenes and all. nvidia 7600 video. I also have the beginning of the level (player made levels also) in too hard difficulty setting. I've saved them in a seperate folder and copy one to the saves folder of the game to play it. Start the game click load game and pick it, too simple. Arokh's Twin if you like I can send them to you to post maybe? Starting in developer mode seams to only be in the hard setting or less. Drakan is a great game. laters all DC