Can't install Drakan

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Blizz
Hatchling

Can't install Drakan

Post by Blizz »

Hello,

I just tried installing the german version of Drakan on Windows 10. I bought the CD on Ebay. I hope it's authentic because it looks different to the old CD I own. The logo is different, the artwork on the CD isn't as detailed. It's hard to read the "Surreal Software" logo compared to the old one I own. Scratches on the CD are few.

When I click on the Drakan symbol, the music starts playing. When I click autoplay, it opens the Install menu. When I click install, it takes a few seconds before the yellow window pops up where I have to click yes. But nothing happens, the CD doesn't even make any noise. What to do now?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Can't install Drakan

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi, it could be a bad disc. You could try making an image of it using something like magicISO and seeing if there are any bad parts of the disc and then installing from the image instead. Alternatively it could be something stopping the installer from running. The game is very flakey as it uses a very old installer. What operating system are you using?

Also as a matter of interest the Community patch supports German and will install the correct language patch. You will need the CP to make the game work on new operating systems but it has to be installed from the CD first. The installer does work on Windows 10 as I've managed to install it on two Win10 machines.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Blizz
Hatchling

Post by Blizz »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:43 pm Hi, it could be a bad disc. You could try making an image of it using something like magicISO and seeing if there are any bad parts of the disc and then installing from the image instead. Alternatively it could be something stopping the installer from running. The game is very flakey as it uses a very old installer. What operating system are you using?

Also as a matter of interest the Community patch supports German and will install the correct language patch. You will need the CP to make the game work on new operating systems but it has to be installed from the CD first. The installer does work on Windows 10 as I've managed to install it on two Win10 machines.
Hello, thanks for the info. I've now tried running it from the .ISO I made with magicISO. The same issue occurs, with the difference that the install menu launches faster because it's from an .ISO. I click install and nothing happens.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Could be a number of things. Do you have any antivirus / antispyware software that could cause it? Did you try compatibility mode? I will try installing the game on the latest build of Windows 10 later today and see what happens.

Blizz
Hatchling

Post by Blizz »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:41 pm Could be a number of things. Do you have any antivirus / antispyware software that could cause it? Did you try compatibility mode? I will try installing the game on the latest build of Windows 10 later today and see what happens.
I only have Windows Defender running. That would be great, thank you.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I tried installing the game and it installed okay so I'm not sure what is causing the problem on your system. You could try running the installer in compatibility mode (try all if possible) right click on the installer and go to the compatibility tab. Also try running it as an administrator. Failing that you could join our discord group, perhaps someone else had the same issue and knows how to fix it.

https://discord.gg/nCMrU4p

Blizz
Hatchling

Post by Blizz »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 pm I tried installing the game and it installed okay so I'm not sure what is causing the problem on your system. You could try running the installer in compatibility mode (try all if possible) right click on the installer and go to the compatibility tab. Also try running it as an administrator. Failing that you could join our discord group, perhaps someone else had the same issue and knows how to fix it.

https://discord.gg/nCMrU4p
Thanks for the link. I tried running it as admin as well. Can you explain how I run it in compatibility mode and what I should select in the tab? I see options like XP, Windows 7, 8, etc.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

You just need to pick one of those options by ticking it, that will enable compatibility mode for the ticked operating system. You will need to try each one in turn.

Blizz
Hatchling

Post by Blizz »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:50 pm You just need to pick one of those options by ticking it, that will enable compatibility mode for the ticked operating system. You will need to try each one in turn.
I've now tried that as well but the same issue occurs.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi I don't know what else to suggest. Is there any chance you can try the disk on another machine? You could try our discord server and see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Blizz
Hatchling

Post by Blizz »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:36 pm Hi I don't know what else to suggest. Is there any chance you can try the disk on another machine? You could try our discord server and see if anyone else has had similar issues.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the server. I have also ordered another disk.

mlurie
Hatchling

Post by mlurie »

Try installing it in Safe Mode with Networking. I had a similar problem on my new Windows 11 gaming PC. The installer and community patch run fine in Safe Mode.