News: Character Creations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:15 am

Hi Pro,
I've already made some scripted objects, and they work fine for simple fx, but I'm trying to create something more complex so I thought a dedicated animation would be better.

I have the sword and anim working, but I can't access the moving nodes to attach particles.

I tried
node=sword.GetNodeIndex("L_Spot")
but it returns -1 (scene root). I found this with the Wyvern too, I couldn't access any nodes by name so I had to attach anchors for SpitPoint, L_Claw, etc. I tried renaming the nodes to match the Character nodes (Head, L_Hand, etc) but that didn't help. I tried linking Anchors to the nodes so I could use GraspPos to get the x,y,z, but the Anchors don't seem to move with the nodes. I'll try again tomorrow..

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 pm

to IrateGiant

Hi IG! Thank you very much for the good job creation 3D-tutorial!

Some remarks:

- if you attaching new part to the BOD "Skeleton-system" it's necessary to control the direction of the coordinate axes in the pivot of this part. Examples of this control are given in the R3D-tutorial;

- if you need to scale attached part, you must select this part and press 'Reset XForm' button after the scaling;

- if you want that a new attached part could be adapted wounded textures and cut in the game, you must to mark polygons of this part by 'smoothing groups' numbers. The R3D-tutorial also provides information on this subject. You can see my post and the meshes of the original BOD-characters with this marking (see the page 49);

- as I understand, in order to cut in the game correctly (with effect of blood), it's need that the mesh have "slices" polygons (with wounded textures):

The number of smoothing groups of this polygons must be 0 (no number) in mesh from Blade_Skin group and number 32 in mesh from the Blade_Mutilations group. This is different from the R3D-tutorial, but original BOD-models were made by this way.

- if you want to use new model as Enemy or PlayerPerson in the game, it's need that this model has parts with next names:

'Center' - the root 'bone' of the model;
'Head' - anchor named 'ViewPoint' must be linked to this part;
'R_Foot' and 'L_Foot' - to my mind this names of parts is need to correct position of character on the 'floor' in the game.

For examle, even Spidersmall model have these parts:

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Harrison! [:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>
to cut in the game correctly (with effect of blood), it's need that the mesh have "slices" polygons (with wounded textures)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I am reading R3D tutorial and test that you remark but I´m having problem with the "slices" polygons. I need adapt perfectly the parts from other models to my model (Blade_Skeleton) marking polygons of the part by 'smoothing groups' numbers right? or I wrong? I supose that I modify the "slices" with attach mode.[:I]

Many thanks for the remarks! I´ll continue testing this! [:D]

Greetings!

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I need adapt perfectly the parts from other models to my model (Blade_Skeleton) marking polygons of the part by 'smoothing groups' numbers right? or I wrong? I supose that I modify the "slices" with attach mode.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes, you are right.

Perhaps, it's called "section" polygons more accuracy (sorry for my English).[:I]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 pm

How are the Blade skeletons made in 3DSMax? They look like bones with mesh attached, but the bones appear to be Editable Mesh objects?
I have made skeletons using the Bones system, can I convert these to editable mesh for export as BOD?

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They look like bones with mesh attached, but the bones appear to be Editable Mesh objects?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, they are parts of the mesh, linked in a hierarchy. They are not "bones" (as helper object "bones" in 3DSMAX).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have made skeletons using the Bones system, can I convert these to editable mesh for export as BOD?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think, it's possible. Maybe something like this:

1. Put your Bones system inside the mesh.
2. Separate you mesh on the parts, so that each part corresponds to a one bone.

Remark. In the original BOD-models, adjacent parts of the hierarchy have no overlapping vertices or edges. Therefore, some parts of the mesh may not have the polygons, only vertices. For example, in the Knight_Traitor model part R_Shoulder (and L_Shoulder) have a unique vertex.

3. Move pivot from each part to at the start point of the corresponding bone.
4. Adjust the direction of the axes of pivot.
5. Link the parts to hierarchy corresponding of the bones_system hierarchy.
6. Delete the bones_system.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks Harrison,

I have animated the Katardoble by making a clone of the mesh, then dividing the clone into two parts ('Center' and 'Head'). Then I animated the 'Head' part, and finally grouped both parts as Blade_Skeleton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuqvDSEjlN8

What I want to do is have moving parts (not rotating) so I presume I need to articulate each part with two invisible rotating bones. I'll keep experimenting...

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Wow, Star Wars influence.[:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

That's awesome SR.[8D]

If that works you should have no prob animating. You don't really need to bone the skeleton. That just forms an IK chain so that one part will influence another. If you do it with a character, it makes it like a rag doll. It does make things easier in some ways, but you need to set rotation limits on every axis of every joint. Tried it once...... [8)]

But as long as you use seperate parts in the Skeleton group and don't attach them, you can animate them.

How about making one of those spikey balls on a chain? So that it moves when you swing it.... Or a whip? [:)]

btw. I have a fully working light sabre if anyone wants one. Only drawback is you need special code for the character using it so it switches off when you sheathe it.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks Pro, I have the 'animated mesh' concept figured out now. The Blade skeletons were confusing me, with the meshes that look like 'bones'.

I made a simple character last night, with a walking animation. It's surprisingly easy (once you know how [:)]). The problem now is texturing. I remember you mentioned some free program to paint meshes, but I can't find it now. Can you post a link?

EDIT\
I thought about the Ball and Chain, but the problem is that the 'Ball' should always be drawn towards the ground (gravity) so any 'fixed' animation of the chain would look wrong as the player moved. Even relax_1H would look wrong, as the shaft's orientation would be changing.
Scripting would be the way to go, but it's complex to monitor the Shaft's position and velocity, then calculate the corresponding orientation of the Ball/Chain. Then the attacks would need animEventFuncs to extend the chain when the player swings the shaft. Then an OnHitFunc to 'bounce' the ball on impact.

Then again, a rag-doll 'ball and chain' would make things a lot easier [:)].

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Yeah. The flail thing sounds easy until you think about it.[B)]

The texturing aid you refer to was probably the chillskinner. It's only a small group of files. It's a bit tempermental though... It breaks up all the polys and lays them out flat so you can grab a bitmap. Putting them all back doesn't always work.[:I] Haven't used it for yonks. Best to try and texture things while it's all complete, even if it mans abit of guesswork.

There's the Texporter. Not sure if it comes with Max or not. That just saves a bitmap from whatever angle you project the mapping from. Works Ok on flat things like blades.

I'm shite at texturing. [8)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>
I'm shite at texturing. [8)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Lol, me too. I'll leave that to charly and IG. There are some new skins on ogl.ru:
http://forum.ogl.ru/read/1049375828/0
Click on the buttons in the post to see the skins. I like #4 and #12

I have a problem with my new 'character'. When I first loaded him in BoD, he was lying on his back. I tried rotating the 'Center' pivot but that had no effect, so I rotated the Skin and Skeleton face-down in Max and now he's ok in BoD. The problem is that it's hard to animate him at that angle in Max, so is there any way I can change the model's orientation so he's upright in Max and BoD?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

That's one difference between the RAS models and the NWN models. They point in different directions.[:D] So if you try to apply a NWN mesh to a RAS model, You get very weird things happening.

Can't you set a different veiwpoint in Max?

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I tried different viewports, but I couldn't get a comfortable setup (I'm still finding my way around the 3DSMax interface). I found I can work on an animation with the model upright in Max, and then just rotate the whole 'Blade_AnimRoot_' group before exporting. This seems to be the easiest solution.

There must be a way to change a model's orientation (as perceived by BoD) without actually rotating the model. The RAS models have the same orientation in Max and BoD, so other models should be able to do the same. I'll experiment with a single rectangular block.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Guys, anyone have knowledgment about rigging and skinning?

I´ve many ideas in my head and few knowledgement about how to do reality. [xx(]

Now I´m thinking in a custom character for a new map test. But I don´t know how to do this 3d edition.

I only adapt the skeleton of Knight_N to Ninja character but nothing more.

I´ve been seeing many tutorail but all for newest version of 3D Max.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”