News: Character Creations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: News: Character Creations

Postby prospero » Wed May 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks Harrison. 8)

the barbie barbeque is just the sort of thing that in very useful. Nice to see different things in the game. I have put in my food bag system in FIV so you can now forage for food and store it to eat later. So any small food items would be useful. Good weapon models are also very welcome.

Having all the RAS objects in .max format means I can modify them. I made a some nice gates the other day using "Rastrillo10" but added a rail on either end and a lock. Also means I can make clones with different textures.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sun May 19, 2013 1:55 pm

OK. Thanks for infromations. Chat up later about 3Dsmax models.

Just checked my unflinished mod and find good prompt, hehe. :mrgreen:

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi prospero,

I sent a message to you at [email protected] some days ago but I have no answer. Therefore I write here.

I want to speak about .mdl files. There are two variants - ASCII and binary .mdl files. There is a special script to import ASCII .mdl files into Blender2.40.
Therefore it is possible to import ASCII .mdl files into BlenderV2.40 and after that export them from Blender to .3DS format. Because BlenderV2.4.0 has a 3DS plugin by default.

Is it need, I think I can make a special MAXScript to import ASCII .mdl files into 3DSMAX "straight on" because ASCII .mdl format has description. But I can't find any description of binary .mdl format. Therefore the task of import binary .mdl files into 3DSMAX2.5 is VERY difficult. Moreover there is no SDK of 3DSMAX2.5 and may be it is impossible to make any plugin for this version. As I know there are only some utilities (in NWN game) to decompile binary .mdl files to ASCII format.

What .mdl files have you? ASCII or binary? Is it need to make a MAXScript to import ASCII .mdl files into 3DSMAX "at once"?

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi,
first off thanks and congrats for all the work displayed so far in this threat. It contains years of R&D about character creation on Blade.

So I was going through all the threat as fast as possible to get to the end results and it kinda stopped in it's tracks when it was getting more interesting. Is there another thread that continues where this one stops?
What happened to IrateGiant's Ninja? How come there's no Ninja mod? Did you find some sort of unsolvable problem with it?

I'm interested in upgrading the detail in main characters. Character lighting is calculated per vertex, so more vertex = beter lighting transitions. Also would be nice to have some of the garments modeled instead of just painted on.

I had a look at the tutorials and although I get the idea I don't have MAX 2.5. I was wondering that if somebody has Max2.5 and the character plugins installed. It would be easy enough for me to do the models and textures (I use MAYA) and pass them to anyone that knows how to bring them to the game. Could that work?

I've also read about a 2000poly limit. Is that true? Is an exact limit or just an approximate reference? It's been tested in modern computers?

looking forward to see if there's still somebody interested in all this.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:54 pm

As far as detail goes, it's a trade-off but look at it this way.... If you make a model with 10x the poly count it wouldn't look 10x better. In fact you wouldn't notice a lot of difference. Add to this the probability that it would crash the game. You could spend weeks building something and waste all that time.
I've tried adapting free d/l models with enormous amount of detail, but no way will they run in BOD. And if you did get them to work, the framerate would take a big hit and maybe only one visible onscreen at a time. To me, the skill in the RAS modelling was they made the characters and objects with as few polys as possible and still look good.

The simpler the model, the bigger multi-battles you can have. 8)

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 pm

You are right. Probably not worth all the hassle. Thanks.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”