New Character: The Wizard

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

sgi1981
Dragon

Postby sgi1981 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:24 pm

I do not know, whether somebody can answer my questions in sgi1981 topic ¹1?
I see, that in this subject already today responded.

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:03 pm

I am doing a 3dobjets new, I did mana potions with the standar potions of healing

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I think that the whole pick-ups thing should be avoided. It is ridiculous that a mage would rely on convenient bottles that have been dumped on the ground in order to restore his energy. This approach should be avoided. It is not the same as the health and power potions found lying about as these are nearly always near bodies, in chests/boxes or on the person of an enemy.

The mage would need a slowly rejuvenating mana level that would get larger as he gains levels. This could be the same bar used for the strength indicator, but his more damaging spells could sap it right down wheras easier ones would use little. The code might need to be tweaked though to stop it refilling so quickly, but is that hardcoded?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:42 pm

Yes I tend to agree. One or two potions that he can carry with him OK,
but having them lying around is a bit illogical. Part of the gameplay should be that he has to work at keeping his magic power high.

All ideas gratefully received.[;)]

His magic sword and staff are the only weapons that he can use with any skill. I have made it so that their hit points are low, so he can use them at any level, but extra damage is enabled according to his magic power, which is also increased with each levelup.

sgi1981
Dragon

Postby sgi1981 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:47 pm

I do not know, whether somebody can answer my questions in sgi1981 topic ¹1?
I see, that in this subject already today responded.

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:20 pm

I think the Wizard should be able to use potions for health, if he don't want to spent mana why doing the things in normal way. (is it a reason beacuse being a wizard to stop eating or drinking water?)

What about, The wizard should find books instead of weapons, for new spells like in Diablo I think that is a easy way and give it a real way beacause the spells didn't appear in weapons them are learnt, Also we can combine it with new

We can use the animation of the Runes when the wizard read a book and learn a new spell the Rune get into the Hero we could do something similar for this Books.

At the objects at Blade we already have 5 magic wands for the wizard varita1, varita2 etc. less work to do ;)

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by esfumato</i>

I think the Wizard should be able to use potions for health, if he don't want to spent mana why doing the things in normal way. (is it a reason beacuse being a wizard to stop eating or drinking water?)

What about, The wizard should find books instead of weapons, for new spells like in Diablo I think that is a easy way and give it a real way beacause the spells didn't appear in weapons them are learnt, Also we can combine it with new

We can use the animation of the Runes when the wizard read a book and learn a new spell the Rune get into the Hero we could do something similar for this Books.

At the objects at Blade we already have 5 magic wands for the wizard varita1, varita2 etc. less work to do ;)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I did not say that the mage should not use health potions. I did say that the mage should not have "magic potions" that replenish his magical abilities. The wizard should use the same power and health potions and eat the same food as any other character.

The "book" idea is a superb one. Instead of picking up weapons, the mage could pick up book pages and cycle through these pages, as others cycle through weapons, in order to select a spell. The page (or book could be then seen in his hands as he invokes his magical energy and releases the spell. The mage could pick up an "open book" clearly showing a symbol, representing the spell, on the revealed pages, this could then produce a supposed "page cycling effect" when spells are selected. The book (or really "books") itself would then seemingly produce the magical "discharge".

I really think the sword should be dropped. The mage should not be adle to use anything except a staff, and should have a spell (magic missile or later flame arrow) that would fire an arrow-like object to activate remote buttons, instead of the bow.

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:04 am

My idea was that the spells where learnt, once time the wizard knows an spell he can use it and the power of the spells could be increased by better staffs or reading more books about the similar spells.

The idea of a wizard carriying books everywhere looks more like a studient than a powerfull wizard that should be dangerous. don't you think, but isn't a bad idea.

While we discuss more about this new caracter I think it will be better.

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:24 am

The mana potion can be used for special conditions, the wizard is a different hero and he can too have a mana regeneration than the resistance, but I think that the mana idea will be cool, and dont really need be a important hint

The books...okey, simply:

1º you take a book, the wizard take in his hand the book (an open book)

2º so now can cast a ****ing spell[:p], each book has a different colour of the paste for see the difference when cycle the books

maybe can take a medallon that give a spectral shield for the caster of determinated use :S

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:44 am

Like the book idea, but it should only be used in non combat situations. You wouldn't stop to consult a book if there were serveral angry orcs trying to smash your head in.[B)]

The spell book could use the TalkSystem Journal. There could be spells for opening locked doors or levitating objects which he could stand on to get over high walls.

I think he should keep his sword. It would get a bit boring if he had only his staff to fight with. His sword also would have magic abilities. At the mo it will glow red if there are enemies near.

So far it works like this:

He will fight with all weapons, but fairly clumsily. There is one set of melee attacks for the staff and another for the sword. (No big combos but moves are more skilled.) If he is holding his staff he can summon up it's magic power.
While in magic phase his health is slowly degraded. Using number keys
he can select magic staff attacks. With an attack selected, pressing attack will instantly launch the attack. On ranged attacks he will revert to melee attack if enemies are too close.
I chose this method rather than incorperating magic attacks into combos as combos generally need to follow a basic attack which slows things down and looks slightly silly.

But remember that I am just playing about with things at the mo. Nothing is written in stone. I'll release the demo for testing as soon as it is in better shape. [8D]

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:52 pm

Look, The game works like this. Every Hero Have "Habilities" (yellow attacks), Combos and Magic Weapons. The wizard should work at the same way to do it more easy to know how to play with him.

"Habilities" (examples) Things that he could do with every weapon, staff or magic wand.
Teleport, Heal, Light (as torches), magic shield (as Dal Gurak)

"Combos" Things that he only can do with the correct weapon, staff or magic wand.
######################
###### Fire staff ####
######################

Fireball - up + attack (must to find the fireball book)
Fire spit - down + attack (must to find the fire spit book)
Fire 3 - left + attack (must to find the fire 3 book)
Fire 4 (up + left) + attack (must to read the fire 4 book)
Fire 5
Fire 6 ... and so on

#####################
#### Water Staff ####
#####################

Water spell 1 - up + attack (must to find the water spell 1 book)
Water spell 2 - right + attack (must to find the water spell 2 book)

#####Magic Weapons#####
Ianna's sword
Alud
Vampire sword...

###### The Book System #####
Spells have to be learnt the wizard must find a book and read it (animation like every time you find a Rune in the game) to learn a spell and then he can use it all the times he want.
Every time he find a repeat book the spell increase one level (we can set the top at 5 levels for every spell for example)

####### Energy and Mana #######

So if the wizard could use weapons should have energy like every Hero, but for the spells we can clone this energy bar and change the name to mana and change the colour of the bar to Blue.

###### Levels of The Wizard #####

Like every Hero the wizard should start from level one and get this increased through the game.
The Levels should unlock new spells attacks and Habilities
But the difference could be that instead get level points killing enemies the wizard could increase his level points reading and finding new books, and killing enemys.

We can also use the magic wands varita1.BOD varita2.BOD varita3.BOD they are already in the game.

The spells for the wizard could have this fonts Ice, Fire, Blood, Poison, Light the same that the game already have.

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

Like the book idea, but it should only be used in non combat situations. You wouldn't stop to consult a book if there were serveral angry orcs trying to smash your head in.[B)]

The spell book could use the TalkSystem Journal. There could be spells for opening locked doors or levitating objects which he could stand on to get over high walls.

I think he should keep his sword. It would get a bit boring if he had only his staff to fight with. His sword also would have magic abilities. At the mo it will glow red if there are enemies near.

So far it works like this:

He will fight with all weapons, but fairly clumsily. There is one set of melee attacks for the staff and another for the sword. (No big combos but moves are more skilled.) If he is holding his staff he can summon up it's magic power.
While in magic phase his health is slowly degraded. Using number keys
he can select magic staff attacks. With an attack selected, pressing attack will instantly launch the attack. On ranged attacks he will revert to melee attack if enemies are too close.
I chose this method rather than incorperating magic attacks into combos as combos generally need to follow a basic attack which slows things down and looks slightly silly.

But remember that I am just playing about with things at the mo. Nothing is written in stone. I'll release the demo for testing as soon as it is in better shape. [8D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You all seem to be missing the whole point with the book thing. I'm not talking about the talk system or "leafing through a tome with six orcs in your face". The "open books" <i>would be</i> the actual cyclable <i>weapons</i> of the mage (or some of the weapons, poweful staffs that shoot fireballs etc could come later on). He would pick these up and hold onto them to use their abilities so when attacking he would appear to be invoking an open book. This is in fact how a mage fights. The staffs restriction would be good because it would force the mage to rely on ranged spells more. He shouldn't be getting close in melee attacking bands of enemies. He should also be unable to use any kind of armour. Small daggers would be another idea for his limited arsenal of weapons. There could be a throwing dagger in later levels that could work in much the same way as throwing ianna's sword.

I still don't think mana should be picked up in bottles, that would be imho, totally crap.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:02 pm

caravel.

Errr.....yes...well, not sure how the open book thing would work out.
I think we must agree to differ on that point.[;)] As for the potions,
as I have spent a few days getting him to drink them, I think I'll leave this option avaiable. Of course you don't have to actually give him any in a map.[:)]

esfumato.

I'll try linking his magic attacks to combos. I'll see how it works out.

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:50 pm

Example of "book" method taken from Hexen II, where it worked well:

http://www.raven-games.com/hex2walk/

Look at the images towards the bottom right.

Of course it's your decision, I'm just providing some input. [;)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:23 pm

I'll look it up.[:)]

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”