New Character: The Wizard

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:24 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

There is some code that can make any object solid. But all objects don't naturally inflict damge even if they hit you. You have to give them extra code.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes but this don´t reply to my question[;)], i will try explain what i said. Ok exist a code that make any object solid, but that code is using what to make the colitions, the object form or some form of bounding box? If is using the object form them it is badly optimazed, so what i ask is: Is it possible to assig a dommy object to another that will recebe all the colitions but is not rendered in game? I personaly don´t think so(This is not havok) but it don´t hurt to ask.[:)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:35 am

Argoon. Yes I understand. There is a technique for linking an object to a (invisible) magic missile. The Ianna sword uses it and I also employed it to make enemy-seeking surikens. The Ianna sword has a trail, but if you omit this you only see the object.

New attack tonite. I have added a bit to the G. Demon Earthquake attack (which he never uses anyway). The wiz will strike the ground and shatter all the weapons and shields of nearby enemies.

Hiya Crazydwarf[:D] The Wanderer Returns.....

Re the skel idea. Already done M8. Not just skels but all sorts of nasties. You aught to see a flock of spiders attacking a Mino.[:p]

Gorgon2
Whelp

Postby Gorgon2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:05 am

Hello CrazyDwarf - long time no post!

I was just wondering the other day whether you'd ever got started on DQ2 again as I seem to remember you lost it all in a hardware crash at one point.

Crazydwarf
Whelp

Postby Crazydwarf » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 pm

I did get started on it again, but adly it fell apart...Couldnt keep the flame burning so to speak [:(]

Just a note on teleporing through doors (still havent read the whole topic here, I should really after this post)
What if some other event is connected to the opening of the door ?
some cut-scene or somesuch ?

EDIT:
Oh and yes I have had meskablahdugh disarm me atleast once...i thought it was a bug at the time.

mikros
Dragon

Postby mikros » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:30 pm

I'd like to have some spells that are currently available on Swords&More.

-Magic eye: free camera for a limited period of time or a limited distance.

-Lightning reflexes: you play in slow-motion, this way being able to react to atacks much easily.

-Time stop: freezes enemies.

It would be cool to have those features without "cheating"

big truck
Dragon

Postby big truck » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:13 pm

[:)]???????????????[:)]

You want to cheat without "cheats" ?

[8)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:06 am

I don't know how to slow down the action while leaving the Player unaffected.

I have done the freeze attack. You fire ice crystals at enemy and he will literally freeze for a short period. If you hit him while frozen he shatters into pieces. (Borrowed from Drakan)

IronLord
Whelp

Postby IronLord » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Concerning a real matrix effect (player normal speed while mobs slowed down):

It could be achived with a combination of Bladex.SetTimeSpeed(x) and increasing the player's animation rate.

While the general time speed is set to 50% or so, the player's animation rate may be twice as high as normal. I don't know wheather you get the desired effect by this (you self moving with usual speed while mobs moving with half speed).

Sorry... dwelling in Norrath I haven't the time for enhanced BOD modding...

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:17 am

The idea behind timestop is that it "stops time", that is everyone/thing is paused while you can run about normally casting other spells, attacking or getting to a good vantage point. This is a Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale type of spell.

I'm not sure how you'd inpliment it in BoD though... as you'd have to stop everything but the player, and I mean everything: Arrows in flight, faling dismembered limbs etc.

IronLord
Whelp

Postby IronLord » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:29 am

Maybe there could be two version of a time-freeze-spell:
-holding time totally
-slowing down time
(both with the player still able to move normally)

Actually even the total freeze can be achived with slowing down (and not holding totally): you just have to set the time speed to Bladex.SetTimeSpeed(0.000001) or so. This is how my time stop in Swords&More works since I discovered some problems using Bladex.StopTime(). You can't notice any difference.

I don't know if a time speed of 0.000001 is compliant with a simultanious acceleration of the player's animation by the factor 1000000 to make the world freeze while the player moves with normal speed.

Btw: curiously the electric beams are not affected by a time factor. Even with a time speed of nearly 0.0 or 0.0 those beams flicker (amplitude stuff) with normal speed.

Prospero:
Did you use darfuncs.ObjAlpha(o) and the limb mutilation system for your ice-freezing and bursting-into-pieces attack? [8D]
For a melting effect of the severed limbs I suppose you to use a fading timer?
While the iced mob is being bursted you should deactivate the bleeding function (only for 0.001 seconds or so) to prevent blood coming out of a frozen body.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:43 am

I onve tried altering the amination rates dynamically, but it didn't have any effect. I'll try it again.

IronLord
Whelp

Postby IronLord » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:50 am

To achive e.g. a 3:1 time relation between the player and the world I have tried the following:

* set the world's speed to 0.3: Bladex.SetTimeSpeed(0.3)
* according to the player's character wrote 4 defs that overwrite the animation factors in \Lib\AnmFact.py:

Code: Select all

FACTOR = 3 def BarbSpeed(): global FACTOR Bladex.SetAnimationFactor("Bar_g_01",4 *FACTOR) etc....
(I have left unaffected the Bladex.AddTranTime lines)

To make this method work at all, these defs have to be scheduled so that they take effect 0.1 seconds or so after the map loaded,

You can recognize some (!) effect, but it is very strange. I can't recommend this method but also can't think of another one...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:04 pm

Yes.....but can you alter them dynamically during the course of a game? Even if this worked you would have to adjust <i>every</i> posible animation and reset it back to normal.[:0]

IronLord
Whelp

Postby IronLord » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:40 pm

Since this alteration of the animation speeds is done by a scheduled def, i.e. some time after the game (map) has started, it seems to be alteratable during the course of game.
But I did not have gave it closer testings.

Have a look at the file \Lib\AnmFact.py. There are not sooo many animations listed.

You only need 4 defs, one for each player character type, with an argument, with the argument being the time factor:

<font color="red"> def BarbSpeed(FACTOR): Bladex.SetAnimationFactor("Bar_g_01",4 *FACTOR) #here all the other lines of \Lib\AnmFact.py for the barb def AmazSpeed(FACTOR): #here all the other lines of \Lib\AnmFact.py for the amaz</font id="red">
for calling the time func according to the player time:

<font color="red"> SET_TO = 3 #or whatever player = Bladex.GetEntity("Player1") kind = player.Kind[:len(player.Kind)-2] if (kind == "Barbarian"): BarbSpeed(SET_TO) elif (kind == "Amazon"): AmazSpeed(SET_TO) elif (kind == "Dwarf"): DwarfSpeed(SET_TO) elif (kind == "Knight"): KnightSpeed(SET_TO)
</font id="red">

For some reason a "Bladex.SetTimeSpeed(1/FACTOR)" does not work. You need a decimal value, such as 0.3 in the ( ).

One disadvantage of this method is that ALL player type characters on the map (hostile barbarians, amaz, dwfs, kgts) would get the player's time speed - those are then at the same "matrix time level" as the player.

Btw. I have had some testings with icing enemies. It is so great and really fun. Looks promising [:p]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 pm

I'll do some testing on the speed subject. BUT the anims in AnmFact are only the ones that require adjustment in the game. The ones that are not in the file would also need resetting during the slomo spell.
Further complication is, what factor would you set them to. There might be a default factor (1?)

btw. 3 is an integer value in Python. 3.0 is a float value.

If you divide 1 by 3 the answer will be 0 as Python will round the answer down to the next lowest whole number.

If you divide 1.0 by 3.0 the answer will be 0.3333333etc

........discovered that just the other day.[:I]

The freeze spell works OK now. I want to make the frozen pieces melt away leaving a puddle of water if I can. [:p]

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”