LED Question

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Good reflexions.[8D] I've faced recently the surprising factor. When I tried to play with different figures in "illumination", I've found out strangeness. When I set any co-ordinates for "x" and "y" and strutters 0 for Z - I received surprising result.[8)]

For example x = 2, y = 3, z = 0 and... My map was shined with pieces. As if invisible squares hung over the earth and shined certain sites of map. I'd it because map me difficult, on it it's alot of sectors. We know that the more constructions and sectors, the will "hang" more engine BOD. If I put values z = 0, I could run normally on map but when I put value z = 0.1 or 0.000000000001 I had strong "brakes". Why so occurs?

All is equal I can't will calm down. In LED there is function "Import...". If I try improt any RAS-map or any another in the map.... All turns out, but. When I try to move tops import map in the map, I've crash LED with error.[:I] That's import maps in map works, but when import map in map, you can make nothing with import map. If you try to change something in it, you'll have crash with error. There are any explanations or it's defect RAS?[xx(]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

I have never been able to fully figure out the sun coords.[:I] I know that the middle one contols the height. If you don't want any shadows, set to a minus value. Otherwise <i>I think</i>the first value moves the X axis - minus values move it west, positive east. The third one moves it north/south. I usually set it to something like 10/10/10 and keep tweakinh it and see what happens. The direction of the external light can have an enormous effect on framerate, so it is worth experimenting. In particular, shadows cast by arches can slow thing down a lot.

The 'Flat' setting in the lights doesn't seem to be much used. It is handy if you wat to illuminate one wall of a sector, such as a staimed glass window.

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

I started a map like this:

This is one of the options I have tryed.

I will do a Test right now. But to set the external light correctly.

At the light properties of the sector you have to set the Coordenates not like the window says. <b>X Y Z</b>

You have to set them

X knowing that -X is right and X left
Y actually is Z (the height) + Up - down
Z actually is Y (North, south) - North + South

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

Where are the *.DAT files??? I have lost the files for third time i think. the slayerDDD site is down.

So if someone could reupload them could be apreciated

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Looking at your map again, is that just ONE sector selected?

If so, you shouldn't bend sectors around other sectors like that. You'll need to break that sector into 4 smaller sectors.
In any sector, every vertex should be able to 'see' every other vertex WITHOUT crossing a sector wall.

Code: Select all

Correct (3 sectors):
|________________________|
|        |      |        |
|    2   |      |   3    |
|        |      |        |
----------      ----------

WRONG:
|     <font color="red">   ________</font id="red">        |
|     <font color="red">   |      |</font id="red">        |
----------      ----------
What .DAT files do you need?

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

I need all the dat files. Must upload more things to mod data base... every time i format my hard drive I need to download everything again.

I blend the sectors when I need only one for the exterior, I didn't had trouble with that.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

If you do a non-convex sector, I think the compiler adds the vertices necessary to split it up into a number of convex ones. The only trouble with that is, you loose control of the way the sector is divided and could cause a big hit on the framerate.

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

Somoeon knows where to find the pdf version of the second tutorial of masklin "gats tutorial" I have it printed, but I lost the pdf file and I can't upload it to Mod Data Base.

I will upload the entire BOD files, so if I or someone loose something it will possible to recover them there.

Thanks.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

esfumato, ¿te refieres a éste? [B)]

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e6gku7

GatesByMasklin

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

Yes that one but in spanish.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

esfumato, lo único referente a puertas que he encontrado en español es ésto:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rozbku

Desafortunadamente, no es similar a la versión inglesa, sólo es un minitutorial. [:(]

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

si ese ya lo habia visto.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi guys, have a question about modifying a main map, for example:

I think that maps how "PalacaArena" or "KarumTower" and "KarumSecret" have been created modifying the original maps.

How can i modify a main map to create a gladiator map? [:)]

P.S. I see the mod "Dark Isle" has a file ".mp", but the original map "Island_M8" don´t have this file, how is possible?

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

You can't actually modify a map (change it's geometry) without the source MP file.

However, it is possible to re-use a map, and fill it with different enemies, objects, etc, just through scripting. This is what I'm doing with the Tutorial map right now (almost done [:)])

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IrateGiant</i>

P.S. I see the mod "Dark Isle" has a file ".mp", but the original map "Island_M8" don´t have this file, how is possible?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks SR for the explanation, but then, how to do this the creator of this mod?, perhaps using a "decompiler"? Exist this? [:D]

Or maybe it's easier to try creating a copy with LED?,my intention is only a room [:)]