LED Question

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Raise the hight of the exterior sectors. Then as you say the tower will be higher. When you have decided how high it needs to be, just put another sector on top from the top of the tower to the sky hight and put the NULL texture on the 'ceiling'. You can even create a pointed top this way by making sectors like the slices in a pie and sloping them all up to the centre.

When using the EB, I find a good way to work is to save everything to a temp file (a.py is quick to type [;)]) and then copying them later to the relevant files - enemies in one, objects in another, doors in another etc. Sometimes you don't need all the code, just the co-ords. And some things need extra code anyway. Weapons, potions etc.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>
put another sector on top from the top of the tower to the sky hight and put the NULL texture on the 'ceiling'.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hi pro! [:)] I try to follow your explanation, but something happens:

Here a demostration in images [:)], as you can see, i added a sector as top for the tower with a height from 10 to 20, but i have only assigned to exterior a height of 10. For this reason i can´t see the second floor. [:(]

I don´t know how i can do this: A similar view from tutorial "Gates"

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

I tend to set all exterior heights to 300 (in case I want to add something really high at a later stage, or have birds/spaceships flying overhead).

With LED you must always be thinking way ahead, because you can't just 'add' stuff later (like other engines).

Esfumato summed it up with this:
"you only have to figure out what part will be solid and what will be a hole"

Only put sectors where you want holes, everything else will be solid. The camera can only 'see' when it's inside a hole (sector). If you want it to go higher than the tower, then make the sector (hole) taller. You will need to make all exterior sectors as tall as you want the camera to go, so it can see around.

Maybe you are being confused by the 'Null' texture, which gives the illusion that you can keep going forever, but it's still a SOLID wall or ceiling with the 'Null' texture applied.

It might make more sense if you set the Null textures to solid textures, so you can actually see the walls and ceilings of your sectors.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

As SR says, you need to set all the 'ceilings'with sky on them to the same hight. Can be as high as you like, you won't notice the difference.
It's a good idea to set the sky quite high anyway, or you can get arrows bouncing off it.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Thanks for your help guys! [:)] The problem was that i needed create a new area on the roof to make empty [:D]

Sorry for my bad explanation [:(]

Here the pic!

I´ll continue with the map [;)]

EDIT\

Problem with EBrowser:

I create a file obj.py and i added for test two trees "Arbolseco" and "Arbolseco2". With EB put the trees in the map and copy all dates to obj.py but when i re-instaled the map with the file, these not appears. [xx(]

I also added to the file .glad "initFiles.append("../mymap/objs.py")"

and to the file .lvl "Bitmaps -> ..\..\3dObjs\3dobjs.mmp"

How can i see the objets?

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IrateGiant</i>

"I create a file <font color="red">obj.py</font id="red">...

I also added to the file .glad "initFiles.append("../mymap/<font color="red">objs.py</font id="red">")"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You have used 'obj' and then 'objs' [B)]

All you need is to put:

execfile('objs.py')

in your cfg.py file

(make sure it's the same filename as the actual file, 'obj' or 'objs'

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi SR!

Sorry, error writing [:D] "objs.py"

It works! [;)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Prospero,
Is there any way of jumping to a new location in the LED OpenGL viewer? It's taking me ages to reach some parts of my map [:(].

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is there any way of jumping to a new location in the LED OpenGL viewer? It's taking me ages to reach some parts of my map<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Try to right click on the OGL window, and choose 'Set Start', but be careful as LED quite often messes up positions. You need to experiment with the values. :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks Tomy,
I know about 'Set Start', but it requires physically changing coordinates and restarting the viewer every time I want to change position. I was hoping there'd be a way to change pos dynamically, like positions.py in the main game.

Maybe I should just work on one part of the map at a time... [:)]

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

As far as I know, there's no such option in LED. I recently made some research of LED's python interpreter. There are a lot of functions in some of the modules but nothing regarding your position in 3D view. Looks like the OGL renderer is hardcoded. Still you can write scripts for some useful things, like setting up the workspace etc.

In python console type 'import LEDx' and then 'dir (LEDx)', it will show up all available functions.

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

Hello everybody,

Does anybody noticed problems with lights placed directly in LED? When I set low intensity I can see artifacts on floor and walls, radius doesn't seems to matter at all. Is this a known problem or is it me doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Tomash
Dragon

Post by Tomash »

Post a screenshot

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

Well, screenshot won't help, because it happens when I move the camera. It's some kind of flickering on the outer radius of light, hard to explain really. Maybe I try to run the game with different raster.

Edit:
Same thing on OpenGL raster. I ran out of ideas. It's something like z-fighting I would say, as I move the camera wall lits and unlits...

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

LED lights seem to behave differently to scripted entity spots. I just use entity spots for everything.

Make sure the light is not placed on the border of two sectors, or you'll get flickering effects and unlit sectors.

I think the LED light radius is set by dragging the light in LED. First, create the light where you want the light to shine, then drag it to where you want it to shine from.
e.g. To make light shine through a window into a room, create the light IN the room, then click/drag the light outside to where you want it to shine from.