[Q] New Weapons?

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 am

Don't worry Sir Rdm.

Hey Pro, how do you do the pivots in Max2.5? I already have a dummy sword with all the anchors ready and such but have no idea how to set the pivots.

<b>EDIT:</b> And why the heck does it usually crash when exporting it? -_- name misuse? polygon inconsistency? lack of something??

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 am

I figured out the pivot thing.

However, when I finished the dummy sword, implemented it, and loaded the map, the game would simply crash with an unhanded exception error.

I did the exact same procedure of installation with the sample sword that came with the 3DTut and it worked fine, thus realizing the cause of the crash came from the model itself; am I doing something wrong? I followed your and the other guides pretty closely Pro, but still have no idea.

Here's the MAX file if you guys want to take a look at it and help me figure this out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qvxhi2yi2tu

Thanks!

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi Raptor.

Had a quick look at the max file.

First thing is the scale. Yours would be 32000 meters long in the map.
That's easily fixed.

Second. You don't need to Group the individual parts. You do need to name the actual parts the same as you named the Groups. When you have done this, select all the parts and put them in one Group.

Third. I couldn't tell whether you had applied UV texture coords to the sword. (Don't need to do the dummies). You need to do this to export sucessfully.

Now the tricky part.....

There is a glitch that I have come across frequently with the edges. Sometimes you make what look perfectly good edges and they will crash the max when you try to export. This is what happened when I fixed your sword and tried to export it. Not your fault. It's just a fecky thing that the exporter does. The only thing you can do is to try the edges in a slightly different position/size/shape until it works. Once you get a good export, save the edges to a different file (goodedges.max ?)and then use can merge them into another file. If you delete the edges and export, there is no prob. So you might want to do this just to check the model in the game.

I'll have a longer look later and see if I can get the edges working.
[8D]

For reference, your parts should look like this before you select all and Group as Blade_Object_CobraSword.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Later.......

I took some edges off another sword that I know work and have had the sword working. Some of the anchor pivots need tweaking slightly. But it works as a weapon and does damage.[:p]

I'll upload a sword with good edges later so it can be used as reference and you can take the anchors and edges directly from it and fit them onto your own model.

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 am

32,000 meters long??? Holy cow!

But How come when I merge it with metrocubico it seems alright? o.o

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:21 am

It might be just the scale setting on my setup. Don't worry about it.[:D]

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 am

When I <u>don't</u> group the individual parts, it crashes when I try to export, otherwise it works perfectly.

o_O

<b>EDIT:</b> Here's the modified version of the sword that will successfully export, has only 1 group (Blade_Object group, everything else is just named), but that will make the game crash when it gets loaded.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tn5mjji3gtn

<b>EDIT2:</b> Ok so I opened the ProSword6.max sample that comes with the 3DTut and copied only:
<ul><li>Blade_Edge_1</li><li>Blade_Anchor_Back</li><li>Blade_Anchor_Inv</li><li>Blade_Anchor_1H_R</li><li>Blade_Anchor_1H_L</li><li>Blade_Anchor_2H</li></ul>
And pasted it into my map (I did every other grouping, etc, steps correctly). Guess what, still the game is crashing when it loads cobrasword.BOD [:(]

I guess Basic Primitives just don't work to make a weapon ¬¬

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am

Have you added it to the BodLink.list (In the main Bod folder?)

..\..\3dobjs\CobraSword.BOD
CobraSword # Group Name

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm:

<ol type="1"><li>Making a basic primitive in Max2.5</li><li>Grouping that single primitive (to avoid export crash)</li><li>Adding the 5 anchors and the edge to it (from other working file)</li><li>Renaming and or making sure each has their respective name and pivots set correctly</li><li>Grouping the whole thing and naming it Blade_Object_etc</li><li>Exporting</li><li>Copying the .BOD file to 3dObjs</li><li>Adding it to BodLink.list</li><li>Adding the sword properties in the DefFuncs.py file of my map</li><li>Creating it in the Armas.py file of my map</li><li>Running the game, and crashing</li></ol id="1">
Am I missing a step somewhere? (Yes, I'm not adding any textures or messing with the UVW thing).

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 pm

You don't need to Group the object, but you should apply UV mapping and texture, even if it's just one of the default colours in the material panel. You can always redo this stage later on.

btw. There is a neat little plugin for max called the Texporter. Basically, it allows you to save a wireframe bitmap of the object that you can load into Photoshop or whatever and draw on it using the lines as a guide. Then you know this skin will fit your model in the right places. Sometimes you have to dismantle the model to get the right angles.

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Hey Pro, do you know how to make things other than boxes and cilinders in the Max? I mean like those things you guys use to make the objects, characters, etc. (Meshes?) which have vertices and lines and you can move these and even trace images.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:15 am

Everything you make in max starts eith the basic shapes.

When you create a box, add some segments by typing some numbers in the Length/Width/Height boxes. Select the box and click the Modify tab at the top. Look down the panel and under the Modifier Stack button there is are 5 buttons. Click the one on the far right (Edit Stack). On the drop down list Convert to..... click Editable Mesh. Then click Selection Level and pick Vertex. You can then select individual vertexes and use the Select and Move tool (crossed arrows) to click and drag to alter the shape of the object. You can select multiple groups of vertexes by dragging a ------- fence over them.

For instance. To form a sword blade you might make a box 1000 long 100 wide and 10 deep with 10 segments along the length. Select pairs of vertexes along one edge and move them to form the curve of the blade. Then select two vertexes (the upper and lower) on each point on the curved side and near the bottom of the Modify panel click Collapse. This will merge the two selected vertexes into one, effectively making the box into an irregular prism. Sharpening the edge in fact. Exit the Modify panel and with the object selected, click the Mirror Selected Objects button at the top. Click Copy in the window and you get the other half of the blade. Move the two halves together and where the vertexes meet at the mid point, select pairs and Collapse. This will 'weld' the two halves together and ther you have a perfectly symetric sword blade. [:D] All you have to do then is add the handle.

Tip: You don't need a lot of faces on round objects. Most pole weapons and sword handles in the game are formed with 6 sides. They look round when rendered. Remember, fewer polygons - more framerate.

Max is incredibly complex and there are 1000s of commands, but this is your homework for tonight. [:D]

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 am

Wow this is so awesome :D I can finally make things w00t ^.^

Except for the part where you say I should merge, or 'weld' the two blades together as I can only select the vertices of just one of them, like so:

Here I was trying to Collapse the red vertex with the blue one, but I can't select the blue vertex!

Otherwise this is very kickass [:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:42 am

Ah....... Sorry. You can only do that with a single object. First you have to Attach the two objects. Select one and click Attach. Then click on the other one. Select "Do Not Modify Mat ID or Material" and OK. The two objects become a single one even if they aren't touching.

Told you it was complicated.[:D]

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 am

Worked perfectly!! [:D]

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”