severance + gothic 1

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

raven80
Hatchling

severance + gothic 1

Post by raven80 »

Hi.

is it possible to make a mod for gothic 1, so you can fight like in severance?

sorry for my english and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

Don't know - seems Gothic 2 or 3 would be a better candidate for it though.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

In fact, the only thing that kept me from finishing Gothic 3 was the horrible combat model - so if there were a mod to alter the combat in that game I might have to play it from the beginning again.

Dericious
Whelp

Post by Dericious »

Wow, its cool that bod scene is still strong as ever. I haven't played severance for a long time, but sooner or later I'n going to replay it :)

Anyhow regarding gothic 3. I don't know if you already know or not, but there is an HUGE community patch project for gothic 3. Or there was because the team finished it. the current version is 1.74. the enermous patch fixes tons of bugs and glitches. It restores content too. They also improved AI and gameplay (including combat). This "patch" also has an optional rebalance component that revamps the entire character progression thing and balances the whole game from skills and npcs to items and quests. I seriously recommand downloading CP 1.74 and giving gothic3 an other spin. Its like a whole different game now - a much better game.

edit: I almost forgot the link. You can download it from world of gothic: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=166

Also remember to read the readme and the community patch manual.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

Yeah I kept up with the community patches moderately... Last I tried was 1.70 and the combat was still the same (click, click, click, click, click, click as your hero swings the sword wildly yet artfully).

I'm downloading 1.74 to see what, if any, difference there is but I'm not hopeful. The world itself is very well done, but the combat was just... I dunno... An insult.

Dericious
Whelp

Post by Dericious »

Oh if you tried 1.7x already, I fear that there is not that much difference. Minor tweaks mostly. I just feel that cp made chacter progression so much more intresting and worthwhile compared to pre 1.7x.

Have you played "Risen" already? I belive it is developed by piranha bytes and it is like gothic 2. better story and better combat. Risen 2 is already in development too.

raven80
Hatchling

Post by raven80 »

I was so disapointed when i played gothic3. The combat system is somthing for retards. I am searching for a game like severance but there is nothing even close. Most children are retards so i think thats why nobody wants to make a combatsystem more challenging. No retard would buy it.
Risen is not much better than Gothic.

So my only hope is that someone modify the combat system for gothic or risen.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

Yeah I played Risen and it felt like Gothic 3 should have but with surprisingly worse graphics. Also it felt very rushed towards the end, but so did Gothic 2 and I loved that game - but at least it had about 80 hours of gameplay where Risen had 35 including deaths/reloading (according a program I use to log game hours).

The combat in Risen wasn't bad. I even made a video of it that reminded me of BoD a little... let me find it and upload it.

Here it is: http://www.crawspace.com/ss/videos/risen_combat01.avi

As you can see, the enemies aren't quite as 'smart' as they were in BoD, but there are some similarities.

And the newest community patch for Gothic 3 didn't do much for the combat, if anything. From the original game, it's better in that you don't get machine-attacked by a rabid dog without being able to respond to it; but for enjoyment it's a far way away even from Oblivion.

raven80
Hatchling

Post by raven80 »

so my question again, is it possible to modify combat system in gothic games?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Easier to rebuild Gothic in BOD I would think.[8)] The BOD engine and combat system is one of a kind.