new can of worms

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

new can of worms

Postby prospero » Tue May 22, 2007 2:28 am

Has anyone got the game running on Windows Vista?

ChumLord
Hatchling

Postby ChumLord » Wed May 23, 2007 4:05 am

Don't have Vista yet since I'm not upgrading my rig until Unreal Tournament 3 (2007) or Huxley comes out, or anything else interesting that requires Direct X 10. Are you having trouble getting it to run on Vista? I'll be flaming mad if I can't install Severance after my upgrade...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed May 23, 2007 4:26 am

I'm still on XP, but talking to guy last night who has vista. Got game installed using compatabilty wizard but the vid config options don't show. [:(]

ChumLord
Hatchling

Postby ChumLord » Wed May 23, 2007 4:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

I'm still on XP, but talking to guy last night who has vista. Got game installed using compatabilty wizard but the vid config options don't show. [:(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I have the *exact* same problem with Linux/Wine using D3D... Hmm... If he uses the OpenGL Raster do the various modes show up? Mine do in Linux but I'm still tweaking the Wine/OpenGL options to get anything to actually render once the game starts with OpenGL :D

Edit:
I also noticed that if, in D3D configure mode, you select the first empty field in the area where the resolution / color depth options are (even though there is nothing there), select a texture quality, and select a window mode that you can click ok and then Play Game and it will fire off in 640x480 mode. For what that's worth [xx(]

taurus
Whelp

Postby taurus » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:05 pm

I have seen BoD working flawlessly on Vista on a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop (Turion, GF Go 7400, RAM 2Go) with the minor annoyance of the black menus. Using the OpenGL raster solves the problem, and you can safely revert back to D3D after setting up.

However I cannot guarantee you can properly install it : I lend the game to my friends with this trick :
I made a copy of my BoD folder, all patched, modded, all maps and mods included (1.39 Go), along with a nocd, on a DVD. All you have to do to get the game running on another computer is to copy the full folder anywhere. It works great on XP, and I just found out it seems to works perfectly on Vista as well. I might report back here if my friend let me know of bugs or so, but the game's first level works at least. Didn't have time to try the mods though.

(On a side note, on vista you can even see the intro movie ! Even better, the game natively supports widescreen (which some of you might already know, but I didn't)).

Regards to all,
Taurus

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Just a little note here. Technically, making copies of the game infringes copywright laws. However, this is a very grey area legally.
I don't see that putting the game on a DVD solely for the purpose of transfering it to another PC would cause any problems. After all if two machines were networked you could do exactly the same thing without the DVD copy. If this is the only way to run the game with Vista then I can't see anyone complaining.

You would of course erase the DVD once done and uninstall the game from the host PC.[;)]

Extispex
Whelp

Postby Extispex » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:38 pm

I have had no major problems installing or running the game on Vista.
The only problems I have encountered are the black menus and black waterfalls in-game, which can be fixed using the OpenGL raster.

Zienna
Dragon

Postby Zienna » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Dont Get Vista Until The Service Pack Comes Out.My Dad Used To Have Vista And It Wouldnt Play Hardly Any Of His Programs And Games. He Told Me To Wait till its service pack comes out.Cause It Will Be Better And Wont Use So Many Uneeded processes.

Axle Stone
Whelp

Postby Axle Stone » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

Has anyone got the game running on Windows Vista?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah i run it on Vista X64 Ultimate, video 8800GTX 768mb, run in - compatibility mode with WinXPSP2.
When main menu loads, i see terrible glithes and crap textures, of course, i even can play, but can"T see anything when playing.[}:)]

Limpiacobardes
Whelp

Postby Limpiacobardes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:11 am

I´ve similar problems on Vista:
black menus
black waterfalls in-game
i cant use the openGl; it makes my game run extremely fast

to me its unplayable, with the black menus its almost impossible to load a previously saved game

Rhudok
Whelp

Postby Rhudok » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 am

More of a challenge then! =P!

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:50 pm

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The video config options will not show / will crash if the graphics card is a dual head Radeon. Try disabling the second head in device manager, that usually does it.

Rhudok
Whelp

Postby Rhudok » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 am

On one of my PC's (This one, infact =P), Without the OpenGL raster, I couldn't select the enemies or maps etc in Gladiator and arena respectively. I haven't tried it on Vista yet, but I have XP Media Centre Edition on this computer. I have another one with lower system specs, but with Media Centre on it, and it runs fine =S. Also, The one with lower system specs runs the game, but lags horribly. I was able to put everything up high and run it on that when it was still running XP SP2 with 256mb RAM (It's got 512 now), and I've got this lag =S. Bit melty.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”