Vista again...

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Hey JV!! The Ruckus Brigade, that stirs the memories!

PS my hovercraft is still full of eels, but I still can't play the damn game... :)

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Thanks for everyone's help with this, it is appreciated, but I've had to give up. I've tried everything and it's just not going to work. The last idea was to install it onto a PC that ran it fine, then copy all the files onto a DVD (2 versions, 1 original, 1 patched) and then copy them back onto my home computer. But Vista won't even let me do that, saying that some files are corrupt (they're not).

I guess I'll just have to buy an old Windows 98 PC just for BOD...!

Keep on choppin'
Anderoo

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

[8)]One reason I'm sticking with XP.[8)]

johnvoodooo
Whelp

Post by johnvoodooo »

I remember the hovercraft too :) sorry about vista feckin ya game up.. i googled and looks like a few have the same prob.. could'nt be arsed readin to see if anyone knew the solution..but i bet it's sommat to do with the open gl shiz.. not being a techy i would'nt know how to do a thing about it m8.. so.. pop along to your nearest jumble sale.. your bound to find a decent pc with win 98 or even xp and a good graphics card for next to nothin.. good luck bro .. keep in touch ;)

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Cheers JV, I reckon that's the only option! It's like going to hell in a handbasket [:D]

Happy new year old boy [;)]

Zuberator
Hatchling

Post by Zuberator »

I have installed BoD onto Vista Enterprise 32 bit on 1 system and it installed and ran fine with the expected DirectX error. It also ran on a different system with Vista 64 bit fine (same DX error though).
I have also ran it on Server 2K8 64 bit and again it runs ok. Same codebase as Vista.

I did not install as Admin nor have to run it as Admin on the Vista systems. The UAC did kick in though as usual.
The install did not create a desktop icon. I run it through the "Games explorer" thingy.
Also created an icon manually. No CD runs fine.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Post by Crawdaddy79 »

The US version of the game doesn't bother with the CD at all... I don't have Vista (yet) and I hope that my version will work.

Anderoo, I remember you. You were part of the crew, when Rebel Act's times were blue. I enjoyed your reaction to my drunk thread where I argued with myself for 20 minutes, on the Rebel Act forums.

Anyways, haven't touched BoD in a long time. Got Rise of the Argonauts with the hopes of a similar experience, and was met with a button masher with poor computer animated storytelling scenes.

johnvoodooo
Whelp

Post by johnvoodooo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by anderoo2</i>

Cheers JV, I reckon that's the only option! It's like going to hell in a handbasket [:D]

Happy new year old boy [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">lmfao.. a handbasket .. that made me laugh.. u stirred a few memories there m8 lol. dunno whether i enjoyed going most on a beefburger.. wheelbarrow.. or a doughnut.. was always fun thinking of a different way to get there hehe! anyway!.. all the breast and many handfulls [:D]

sgi1981
Dragon

Post by sgi1981 »

I have found the optimal adjustments such.
We establish patch for Blade.
http://rampage.bigtruck-canada.ca/blade/patch.exe
We add a graphic engine rOpenGL.dll in the directory bin/Raster
http://rampage.bigtruck-canada.ca/blade/oth/raster.zip

To start blade.exe.
To go in Adjustments.
In adjustments of Video to choose a engine rOpenGL. In adjustments of this engine:
In bookmark Video Mode to choose:
Full Screen,
Colour Depth == 32 bpp
Resolution == resolution for your monitor.
In bookmark Misc:
Swap Interval == 1

Explanations.
The engine rOpenGL.dll uses OpenGL systems, therefore there is a sense of it to use.
Full Screen - the full-screen mode of display target, that is a window will be in all screen and without a frame.
Colour Depth - quantity of bits on pixel images, the it is higher, the the quantity of possible colors is more.
Resolution - the size of the screen image in pixels on width and height.
Swap Interval - minimum quantity of the frames between redraw of a scene. If it equally zero the scene can redraw with frequency in some times higher, than frequency of updating of the image on the monitor. To draw a scene with frequency, the greater frequency of updating of the image on the monitor, it is not necessary, machine time is spent for excessive drawing, therefore equality of these frequencies is optimum. If Swap Interval == 1 - OpenGL is guided by optimum frequency of redraw a scene. And if it is allowable, frequency of the monitor is equal 60 Ãö optimum frequencies rendering are those
60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10...
That is 60 / n.

And with these adjustments game well works for me.